Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 14:11   #1

Boat: In between vessels
Looking for Portugal berth information

All,

I am looking for local knowledge on Portugal Marinas, in particular I am looking to rent a slip annually.

The kids are almost out of the house, and it is time to get back to sailing, and while I do not currently have a boat, I am doing the due diligence for when it happens (looking in the 12m range). I am most interested in the Lisbon/Setubal area, but am willing to consider any other areas.

It seems the Lisbon city marinas are full for anything over 10m, and booked through 2023 (at least that is what they told me). I am starting to search the Atlantic facing marinas, as well as Algarve marinas, but concerned about surge on the Atlantic and cost in the south. Are the berths really that scarce, or am I just asking the wrong way?

Open to all suggestions and info. Thanks in advance

Dave
dshapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 14:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for Portugal berth information

For the Algarve I would suggest Portimao marina.. some will say Lagos is better but that's just individual opinion.
Their B/yard can lift out your boat easily and has all services you may need.
West coast you may possibly get a space in Cascais but that's not a cert..
Otherwise there's Figuera da Foz.. the marina is 1 Km upriver from the entrance and well sheltered and a berth will be around 2 grand a year plus some change.. my 39ftr was costing me €1800/yr with water and electric a couple of years back. Only downside is apart from the fuel dock other services are minimal.
Peniche is an option, sheltered but very basic.. just pontoons.
You could look at Porto but like Lisbon it may be a waiting list.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 15:03   #3

Re: Looking for Portugal berth information

Boatman,

Thanks very much for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I guess it wasn't me, just hard to find space in the cities. Will look into Figueira and Portimao. Any challenge with part time liveaboards in any of the marinas there?

Dave
Old 23-08-2020, 03:04   #4

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40

Hello,

This is the list of marinas and recreation ports in Portugal. It is in Portuguese but google can translate for you

https://www.dgrm.mm.gov.pt/en/marinas-e-portos-de-recreio

In my website I also have a page pointing to marinas webpages. It is not updated but most of links will work so I hope.

https://www.vela-navega.com/index.php/marinas-in-a-map

Regards, Luis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 03:10   #5

Boat: Custom Catamaran

There’s a few options but some things to bear in mind:

- West coast vs South coast are VERY different. West coast is more fishing ports and you’re very limited on access depending on swell, south coast is more tourist driven and better for access. Of course that translates to a more expensive south coast as well.

- Lisbon area marinas aren’t great tbh... we were based out of the marina near the aquarium and it was brill, but very shallow, a long way from central and didn’t have a lot around it. Access to the airport was brill tho!

- Weather. The West coast is cooler and wetter in winter, the South coast warmer and drier.

What else... Portugal is a brilliant place to live aboard and well priced. It just depends what you’re after (expat community, weather, ability to go sailing, facilities, etc).

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 03:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshapero View Post
Boatman,

Thanks very much for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I guess it wasn't me, just hard to find space in the cities. Will look into Figueira and Portimao. Any challenge with part time liveaboards in any of the marinas there?

Dave
No.. as long as your a 'good neighbor' there are no hassles.. the staff are friendly, helpful and most speak English and/or other languages like French, German etc.
Old 23-08-2020, 04:16   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Depending on the beam of your boat an annual contract at Portimao will be around €6700-7600. Summer rates are considerably more than winter rates. It is a very pleasant marina although some distance from the town.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 04:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Depending on the beam of your boat an annual contract at Portimao will be around €6700-7600. Summer rates are considerably more than winter rates. It is a very pleasant marina although some distance from the town.

Jeepers!! Frankly I'd go for Cascais instead. It's a stunning seaside town, close to Lisbon but also far enough away you can get a spot on the beach to yourself. Plus you get a free bottle of wine when you first check in to the marina! (or at least you used to)

n
Old 23-08-2020, 04:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No.. as long as your a 'good neighbor' there are no hassles.. the staff are friendly, helpful and most speak English and/or other languages like French, German etc.

I'm with you on this - be pleasant, don't hang laundry out on your rigging, don't make a big scene, etc and you'll be fine.

n
Old 23-08-2020, 05:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
True.. it is expensive.. back in the winter of 07/08 I was paying €450/mth for a Bene 331.
What many do is stay the 9 off season months getting the discount for paying up front the go cruising during the High Season summer months when prices shoot up.. some stay local switching between the local anchorage and the lagoon at Faro/Culatra/Olhau, others head into the Med.
I have never understood the logic behind this as the marina empties by 60% and most passing traffic only stops for fuel and water then heads for the anchorage across the river.. but all the Algarve marinas follow this policy.
Oh.. forgot to mention there's a nice marina at Albufeira as well.. about 25nm E of Portimao.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 23-08-2020, 05:28   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Jeepers!! Frankly I'd go for Cascais instead. It's a stunning seaside town, close to Lisbon but also far enough away you can get a spot on the beach to yourself. Plus you get a free bottle of wine when you first check in to the marina! (or at least you used to)

n
Hi Nigel... you spent some time in Nazare' if memory serves.. I have never been there so cannot speak as to its suitability though many say its a nice place..
Been there to watch the surfing but never visited the marina.

Old 23-08-2020, 06:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi Nigel... you spent some time in Nazare' if memory serves.. I have never been there so cannot speak as to its suitability though many say its a nice place..
Been there to watch the surfing but never visited the marina.
That I did! About 6 months in the marina. It was pretty dire tbh - there was a fantastic cruiser community (a core of 8 boats and up to 30 boats) and we shared Christmas, did beach BBQs and there was a weekly group trip to the local Lidl. Sadly though, the marina just didn’t care about the pontoons other than collecting money from them (the chains broke on one pontoon and we had ropes securing the whole pontoon for weeks) and the whole place had a bit of a rundown feel. Shame really.

The surfing was phenomenal as well😁

N
Old 23-08-2020, 09:18   #13

In general European marinas have part and full time live aboards. They do not have the same problem as you have in the US.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 14:08   #14

All, thanks for all the great advice and discussion.

My "rough" plan at this point is to get set up in country, find a boat, and then explore around to decide what/where we really want. I am dual US-UK, but my wife is only a US citizen, and with the current situation I am not sure we can even get into Portugal (let alone deal with the confusing visa situation).

But assuming we can make that happen, the longer term would be to get a home base in Portugal, and them explore further into the Med. We are much more oriented to experiencing the local culture, food etc., but having a good sailing community is always helpful.

Based on the available boats it does seem like the local Portuguese (at least around Lisbon) are more quite focused on racing (not unlike San Francisco) rather than cruising.

For those in country, is there boat registration with the Maritime Authority (like for the Coast Guard in the US)? The website isn't really clear on that.

Dave
Old 23-08-2020, 23:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshapero View Post
All, thanks for all the great advice and discussion.

My "rough" plan at this point is to get set up in country, find a boat, and then explore around to decide what/where we really want. I am dual US-UK, but my wife is only a US citizen, and with the current situation I am not sure we can even get into Portugal (let alone deal with the confusing visa situation).

But assuming we can make that happen, the longer term would be to get a home base in Portugal, and them explore further into the Med. We are much more oriented to experiencing the local culture, food etc., but having a good sailing community is always helpful.

Based on the available boats it does seem like the local Portuguese (at least around Lisbon) are more quite focused on racing (not unlike San Francisco) rather than cruising.

For those in country, is there boat registration with the Maritime Authority (like for the Coast Guard in the US)? The website isn't really clear on that.

Dave
In that case, you could always look at Med Spain as well. There are some good marinas that aren’t expensive, and then you’re right in the thick of it?

As for registering, some European nations can be beaurocratic nightmares.. registering in the UK is only £35 for 5 years though and you just need a temporary UK address.

N

Tags
Portugal