Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 12:31   #16

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: Malta and Gozo Anchorages

Malta has 8 millennia of history (sicily has 30,000... see the archeo musueum in Syracuse)

The black/yellow barrelled buoys belong to Manoel Island yacht yard
Other supposedly belong to locals , many to the Ferry operators, eho move from docks in case of heavy swell.

They behave rather rudely..

Simply be ready to move to another buoy on demand.

On the entrance to Sliema Creek you can anchor when off the ferries course.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 21:56   #17

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Kittiwake View Post
Thunderbird: Thanks for the info, is there anywhere to get further information on the free buoys you speak of? Are they official, or are they the locals' buoys when out of season? I've heard the Grand Harbour can be a bit rolly when there's a big northeasterly, so was thinking somewhere like Mgarr Ix Xini or Marsaxlokk would be more sheltered. We'll definitely be pottering around the harbour, thanks!

Nic: I was after some personal experiences / recommendations of what people do when the wind picks up, what bays are best for anchoring in strong winds, that sort of thing.

John: Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely do some reading as it seems like a historically fascinating place!
All dont be surprised that there are so many rocky shores as Malta is called the dusty rock in the Med :-). If the wind pipes up from the NE you can sail around to the S side of the island or try to find shelter in Msida marina/(I think today called) Roland marina right beside it.

Quote: The 720 berth Msida and Ta’ Xbiex Marina, operated by Creek Developments Plc, can handle pleasure yachts of up to 22m in length.

Nic26
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 05:00   #18

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Not sure if you've already seen it Palarran, but this is the cruising guide I found. It's the best info I've got so far, but still not very detailed in terms of anchorage quality for overnight stays or strong winds:

Malta Maritime Directory :: Crusing Guide
Thanks for the link to this cruising guide. I had not seen it until now.

We plan to visit Malta sometime in April (depending on weather.) We are wintering in Sicily at Marina de Ragusa. We have heard a lot of good things about Malta and are anxious to visit!

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 05:06   #19

Quote:
Morning all,

Hoping to borrow a bit of the CF collective wisdom, especially from those who have spent time sailing around Malta. We're hoping to visit on our boat later in the year, as it looks like there's some great rock climbing to be done.

I'm hoping to find out more about the anchorages. It seems like there's loads of great anchorages - Dwejra, Mgarr Ix Xini, Mistra Bay, Marsaxlokk harbour etc. I found the maritime directory, which is excellent, but the Italian Water pilot book is lacking in detail on anchorages (actually it's quite lacking for Malta in general).

From what I pick up from the online cruising sites, most of these seem to be day or fair weather anchorages. Not wanting to spend the ludicrous amounts on marinas, what are the best anchorages when the strong NE winds blow in? Dwejra looks like the ideal anchorage and is almost completely cut off from the sea, but I've read that it's not a good place to be when the wind is from the west, why would that be? Just because you couldn't get out?

Also, do people generally shore tie here, as per the rest of the med?

Appreciate any experiences and info.

Hi
Hubby and I lived on the island of Malta for almost 3 years. Beautiful little island with some serious history. I would highly recommend you get in contact with the local yacht club in Malta. It's the Royal Malta Yacht Club Ta' Xbiex as some of the inlets are very very shallow. XbiexWhich is about a 20 min bus trip around to St Julians. Most bay's around the island are for motor boats mainly and small yachts. Most bigger yachts and ALL the super yachts are either shore tied up near the Yacht Club or on achorage near Velletta. Malta has a beautiful marina at Portomaso, it's called the Portomaso Marina, check that out. Portomaso is in St Julian's Bay. St Julian's Bay, is were most of the action on Malta happens :-). Valletta is the City, by day it's busy at night it's a ghost town.

Gozo is the sister island and its beautiful, not much happens on that island at all. It's like going back in time Saying that, it's a must see. Comino is the same. You will also be very close to the Isles of Scilly. That is a MUST DO. Either by ferry from Malta or on your own yacht.

Busy season is from May - September. Hottest time of the year in Malta June / July / August. Nope you don't want to be visiting during those months as it's HOTTER than HELL and the humidity is something else They use the Euro in Malta, saying that it's still dirt cheap. Off the beaten track you can get a Cisk which is the local beer for around 1Euro20. Tons of retired Brits living on both Malta and Gozo.

Here is my email address if you or others need info angelasmith.sa@gmail.com . Please address the mail as Cruising Yachts / Malta.

Best Regards
Angela
Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 06:12   #20

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks for the link to this cruising guide. I had not seen it until now.

We plan to visit Malta sometime in April (depending on weather.) We are wintering in Sicily at Marina de Ragusa. We have heard a lot of good things about Malta and are anxious to visit!

Cheers!

Steve
Hi Steve,
send me an email when your (on your way to) here. At least I would know where they have so much beer that they have to sell it or how to get to the house of the 1000 wines etc. :-)

Oh, btw: I am that Nicolson 26 on pontoon H4 in Ragusa
El
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 14:43   #21

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic26 View Post
Hi Steve,
send me an email when your (on your way to) here. At least I would know where they have so much beer that they have to sell it or how to get to the house of the 1000 wines etc. :-)

Oh, btw: I am that Nicolson 26 on pontoon H4 in Ragusa
El
Will do! We're still in the US and return to the boat March 15th. Couple of projects to do to get her ready for sailing and then we will be waiting on weather for the trip to Malta. Looking forward to seeing you!

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 20:59   #22

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

We sailed to Malta in 2015. Love the place, and the 10 days we spent at Malta, Gozo and Comino, were about right.

Royal Malta Yacht club is a great spot. You may have reciprocal rights, but if not, membership is very, very reasonable. The berthing there is quite rolly. They were promised a breakwater wall some years ago, and are still waiting. Around the corner is fine however if you are looking for a marina berth.

Blue Lagoon at Comino is lovely, but unless you want entertainment, do not - I repeat, do not go there on a weekend of public holidays (we did, and the first day was very 'entertaining' with:
1. a Barbequed boat (seriously - they lit a portable BBQ on the foredeck and wondered why their gelcoat started burning under it)
2. boats anchoring in the channel and being moved on by police
3. a yacht trying to moor and running into one after another (5 total) other boats
4. a girl drowning off our stern (rescued then taken back to her oblivious parents boat)
5. an icecream boat cruising around supposedly to sell same, but too interested in having a good time perving.
6. a disco boat arriving about midnight (NOT entertaining !), then having their drunk passengers leap overboard.

The first day was good, but that was enough - during the week, it is idyllic. Also, you may be able to sneak around the other side of the lagoon, where bigger boats cannot go.

We returned last year, and were as delighted as the first year. The people are very friendly, the architecture is amazing, and the harbours spectacular. There are a number of bays to anchor, but we need another visit to discover that side.

The three-island group really is pretty special.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 21:29   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It amazes me how Malta citizens make a living. It's an interesting destination for its history and culture, but not for its culinary. Long live tourists, especially the English. Loved its bus system, leastwise in 2003.
Old 23-01-2017, 01:55   #24

Boat: Heavenly Twins 26

David,

Thanks for the info, yes I've heard that the Blue Lagoon can get a bit bonkers in holiday season and the weekends, definitely not our first choice of anchorage in those times, but we'll hopefully get to explore it when there are fewer people around!

Given that we draw less than a metre, we'll definitely be looking to sneak into the south side of the lagoon like you suggest, looks quite well sheltered tucked in there.

The anchorages I'm most excited to check out are Blue Lagoon, Crystal Lagoon, Dwejra Bay, Rinella Bay, Mistra Bay, Mgarr Ix Xini and Birzebbuga. Should be a good mix of away-from-it-all hidey-holes and stops near towns for re-provisioning, and with shelter from winds and swell from any direction. If anyone knows of other 'must-visit' anchorages, let me know!
SV Kittiwake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Malta