Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 11:44   #1

Question mandatory 3rd party liability insurance for foreign (canadian) vessel in Europe

Hello fellow world travellers,
I am sending my 35 foot sailing sloop to Mallorca, Spain arriving December, 2014 and have been advised that the officials in Spain require evidence of a Marine 3rd Party Liability Insurance Policy on arrival. I am resident in Canada and my boat is a Canadian Registered Vessel.
I have been informed by various European insurers that since I am not resident there they are not licensed to issue me insurance.
My enquiry of my Canadian household insurer was that their umbrella coverage is worldwide but would not apply to a boat larger than a smaller recreational craft. I don't know that I agree since there is no exclusion that I could find under their coverage wording and it is "worldwide" coverage. As owner and skipper of my boat the coverage should extend to any action I might be involved in with that boat and 3rd parties anywhere in the world.
If anyone has direct experience with this insurance coverage or has advice as to where marine coverage can be obtained for European waters I would appreciate your input.
calbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:58   #2

Re: mandatory 3rd party liability insurance for foreign (canadian) vessel in Europe

Sounds like you need to go to a Canadian marine insurer, and get boat insurance from them.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:08   #3

Re: mandatory 3rd party liability insurance for foreign (canadian) vessel in Europe

Hi Mark,
My Insurance agent advised that they could not find a Canadian company currently providing that coverage for Europe.
calbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:08   #4

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

We used these guys IMIS Jackline Insurance Program, and were very happy. We also bought health insurance through them (four corners), and had to make a claim in Spain. They were incredibly helpful and efficient.

We'll use them again for the new boat.

We're Canadian, the boat's Canadian. We bought full insurance, not just liability. Therefore can't speak of buying "only liability".

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:31   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Or Pantaenius:

Yacht Insurance online - Best American Yacht Insurance Company

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:57   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

We are Canadian & our Canadian registered boats are in Mallorca (sail pending on the First 375). Both are registered with Allianz & are insured for hull & third party. We've had no claims, so can't say what they're like to deal with, but their rates seemed reasonable compared to some I've read of here on the forum. The insurance broker is Gallagher Heath, www.galagherheath.com.

PS, if you're new to Mallorca, PM me with any questions you may have. We've been sailing those waters for a lot of years.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 13:11   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Canadian boat, insured through Fairway Insurance in Nova Scotia. I moved the boat to the US last summer to do some work on her.

I just got a rather abrupt notice that they were not going to renew my insurance as the boat was in the US. Called them and got a long song and dance about the US.

I didn't ask about other localities.

I did get reasonable quotes from both IMIS and BoatUS.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, insurance, rope