Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2021, 08:41   #1

Med Cruising Guides

We are shipping our boat to the Med next May. We have use the Waterway Guides extensively in the Caribbean, Bahamas and East Coast. Are there equivalent publications for the Med?

Also, what are your thoughts of acquiring a “Captains License” for the Med?

Thanks in advance!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 19:08   #2

Boat: Benneteau 310
Re: Med Cruising Guides

I've used Navionics on my iPad in both regions. Coupled with my Dual GPS I've found it to be both portable and highly accurate. I also purchased 'local knowledge' books for whatever theater I was in (similar to Windward Islands for the Grenadines.) For Greece, I used Greek Waters Pilot, downloadable to an iPad. For Italy, Italian Waters Pilot (only available in hardback as far as I could tell.) Both books are by Rod and Lucinda Heikell and contain a wealth of information.

I also subscribed to Predict Winds which provided accurate daily and weekly wind and weather forcasts in a number of formats. A lot of locals use the Windly app which is free. I found it to be too cluttered and stuck with Predict.

Depending on where you are, a good anchor alarm is also useful. I used Anchor Alarm Pro on my iPhone and coupled it to my GPS. It gave me peace of mind and saved me more than once in rocky anchorages!

As to a 'Captain's license', as far as I know, it's only required for bareboat chartering. If it's your own boat I'm not sure if it's necessary.

One last recommendation, if you're not familiar with stern-to or bow-to docking, take a look at the Sailing Virgins YouTube video on the subject. At most quays you're going to drop the anchor and snug up after tying off the stern lines, at most marinas they're going to hand you two bowlines commonly referred to as slime lines (you'll find out why the first time!) which again you'll snug up after tying off the stern lines.

It's just a big lake, have fun!

Steve Wallach
San Francisco
Beneteau 310
sawallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 03:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawallach View Post
As to a 'Captain's license', as far as I know, it's only required for bareboat chartering. If it's your own boat I'm not sure if it's necessary.
Careful here. In some countries, you might need a license to operate your dinghy with more than 6 HP. I know people getting fined for this in Croatia.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 03:54   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Med Cruising Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
We are shipping our boat to the Med next May. We have use the Waterway Guides extensively in the Caribbean, Bahamas and East Coast. Are there equivalent publications for the Med?

Also, what are your thoughts of acquiring a “Captains License” for the Med?

Thanks in advance!

The Med is a sea area , rather like saying you were shipping your boat to the artic

The regulations are country specific as as the tax and residency issues.

The cruising grounds around the med especially Mediterranean Spain France , Italy , Greece , Croatia turkey are very extensively documented. Remember this is the sailing centre of the known universe !!

All sorts of charts guides , pilot books , aerial surveys blah blah are available digitally , paper etc.

As for licensing , certain countries will demand you have a competency cert for your own boat , Greece and Croatia being the two most insistent ,most will require you to comply with local safety carriage requirements though compliance is very patchy. A VHF cert should be obtained.

An ICC license is most useful. But both both countries will accept a wide variety of competency certs including various US ones.

It’s a fabulous area, as for a big lake, I’m reminded of the comment in Las Palmas of a American finishing a 6 year circumnavigation

“Went round the world, worst weather by far was in the Med , shredded my mainsail of the Balearics “

Welcome.
Old 14-10-2021, 04:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The regulations are country specific as as the tax and residency issues.
Fortunately, the tax issue will not affect Suzanne. Just make sure to get the temporary importation paperwork right when entering the EU.
Old 14-10-2021, 05:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
“Went round the world, worst weather by far was in the Med , shredded my mainsail of the Balearics “
In the Western Mediterranean, you just need 2 sail-plans: Lightwind and 2nd reef. If the wind picks up beyond light wind, you'll probably best served in putting 2 reefs in. Add to this the fact, that wind usually changes 3 or 4 times a day, 2 of them being no wind situations, reliable sailing can be challenge and the swell can be annoying even in protected coves.

Actually, the statement about being becalmed twice a day isn't really correct. The wind often won't die down if it's blowing from the wrong direction.
Old 14-10-2021, 07:17   #7

Boat: Benneteau 310

Quote:
As for licensing , certain countries will demand you have a competency cert for your own boat , Greece and Croatia being the two most insistent, most will require you to comply with local safety carriage requirements though compliance is very patchy. A VHF cert should be obtained.

An ICC license is most useful. But both both countries will accept a wide variety of competency certs including various US ones.
Agreed, I'd check the local regs. But they seem to be aimed at the renters of licensed boats in theater. Nothing about boats owned/licensed in ones home country. Very confusing.

"If you have pursued your flair for adventure and completed a license in the United States, you will not need a boat license in Croatia. According to EU laws, at least one person on the vessel must be in possession of a valid nautical license. This is also known as an International Certificate of Competency (ICC). However, the authorities will accept one of the following licenses from the US if you have them in the original form; Bareboat Cruising or Basic Cruising (USSA) issued by the US Sailing Association or Bareboat Chartering (ASA) from the American Sailing Association.
You can then skipper a licensed boat in Croatia. Any of these licenses will allow you to rent:
  • bareboat chartered boats
  • bareboat chartered yachts (up to 30 GT)
  • ​​​​​​​boats for private use
  • yachts up to 30 GT (Gross Tonnage) used for private purposes​​​​​​​
in the Republic of Croatia‘s internal and territorial waters, as well as the waters accessible from the sea.
A VHF license, which is a license for operating a radio on a boat or yacht, should be held alongside the ICC license. You will also need a crew list showing details about all the members of the crew, including full names and passport information, before renting a boat."

I have an IPC from the USSA because we charter. With 40 years of experience, getting it was somewhat non-traditional. If you'd like to know how I did it PM me.

Steve Wallach
San Francisco
Beneteau 310
sawallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 08:41   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Fortunately, the tax issue will not affect Suzanne. Just make sure to get the temporary importation paperwork right when entering the EU.

There is no paperwork. You are simply entitled to it.
Old 14-10-2021, 08:44   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Agreed, I'd check the local regs. But they seem to be aimed at the renters of licensed boats in theater. Nothing about boats owned/licensed in ones home country. Very confusing.

"If you have pursued your flair for adventure and completed a license in the United States, you will not need a boat license in Croatia. According to EU laws, at least one person on the vessel must be in possession of a valid nautical license. This is also known as an International Certificate of Competency (ICC). However, the authorities will accept one of the following licenses from the US if you have them in the original form; Bareboat Cruising or Basic Cruising (USSA) issued by the US Sailing Association or Bareboat Chartering (ASA) from the American Sailing Association.
You can then skipper a licensed boat in Croatia. Any of these licenses will allow you to rent:
  • bareboat chartered boats
  • bareboat chartered yachts (up to 30 GT)
  • ​​​​​​​boats for private use
  • yachts up to 30 GT (Gross Tonnage) used for private purposes​​​​​​​
in the Republic of Croatia‘s internal and territorial waters, as well as the waters accessible from the sea.
A VHF license, which is a license for operating a radio on a boat or yacht, should be held alongside the ICC license. You will also need a crew list showing details about all the members of the crew, including full names and passport information, before renting a boat."

I have an IPC from the USSA because we charter. With 40 years of experience, getting it was somewhat non-traditional. If you'd like to know how I did it PM me.

Steve Wallach
San Francisco
Beneteau 310

No both Croatia and Greece require competency for boat sailing in their territorial waters. It doesn’t matter what the flag state position is.
Old 14-10-2021, 10:25   #10

Quote:
A VHF license, which is a license for operating a radio on a boat or yacht, should be held alongside the ICC license.
Actually, this isn't should it's must. Even worse, as these things aren't by the maritime laws and organisations, they are under the responsibilities of the telecom and broadcasting authorities. And under those rules, operating means installed.

You also need different licenses for VHF and SSB. This can be a problem when buying an boat with a SSB-tranceiver and you only have the VHF licence. And to make it even more fun, all your VHF and SSB radio equipment able to transmit must be properly registered. In the past this was the only license you really needed to navigate.

If you annoy German officials too much, they can get really nasty with those regulations. Croatian officials have also been known to enforce those regulations quite strictly when they feel the need to flex.
Old 14-10-2021, 11:50   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

France
To drive a sailboat, no license is required in France even if significant experience is required.
On the other hand, a coastal license is required to use a motorboat sailyacht with a power greater than 6 horsepower. License extensions are required to navigate offshore (hauturier) or on lakes and rivers (fluvial).
Greece
Boating licenses issued by the EU Member States are automatically valid and accepted in Greece. Those outside the European Union are accepted if they meet EU standards. Finally, licenses in languages other than English or Greek must be translated.
a license is required for sailing boats and motorboats with more than 30 horsepower.
Below 30 horsepower, a boat license is not required for motorboats. ????

Italy
A license is required to drive a sailboat beyond 6 miles from a shelter.

Regarding motorboats, there is no need for a boating license if the power is less than 40 horsepower.

Croatia
Croatia has the highest concentration of sailboats for rent in Europe, safety is paramount. This is why it is mandatory to have a VHF radio license (CRR) in addition to a boat license in order to be able to sail, regardless of the flag of the boat.

Spain
A license will be required in two cases:

motorboat with more than 15 horsepower and more than 4 meters in length.
sailboat over 5 meters in size

Portugal
Regardless of the category of sailboat or motorboat, a license will be required.

Norway
If you want to sail in Norway, you will need a boat license for boats longer than 8 meters and/or with more than 25 horsepower.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 01:26   #12

Boat: Hanse 430e

Sailing my own USCG flagged boat in Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Italy, Malta and now Tunisia.

Greeks will try to tax you and every official has a different knowledge of the rules, Albanians and Italians (Guardia Financa) want to see your Documentation papers but generally leave with a smile. Montenegro was simple RE tax and ownership yet wanted to see my ICC. Croatia just make sure you pay the daily tourist tax AND the cruising permit. Oh and dont forget the national park fees in Croatia.

Malta. Welcome to Malta you crossed international waters coming from Sicily, why did you not check out of Sicily. You must go to court and pay the fine. Well I guess I can let you go this one time!

Tunisia bring a cheap bottle of whiskey as a gift for the Doune. He will ask for more and in cash, but the whiskey is what he really wants.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 02:41   #13
Nearly an old salt

Med Cruising Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Actually, this isn't should it's must. Even worse, as these things aren't by the maritime laws and organisations, they are under the responsibilities of the telecom and broadcasting authorities. And under those rules, operating means installed.

You also need different licenses for VHF and SSB. This can be a problem when buying an boat with a SSB-tranceiver and you only have the VHF licence. And to make it even more fun, all your VHF and SSB radio equipment able to transmit must be properly registered. In the past this was the only license you really needed to navigate.

If you annoy German officials too much, they can get really nasty with those regulations. Croatian officials have also been known to enforce those regulations quite strictly when they feel the need to flex.

There are typically two licences under the CEPT licensing system

One is a ships station license , this gives you authority to have the equipment onboard and includes all radio emitting devices including radar , epirbs and plbs.

The second is an operators certified under the CEPT rules there are several

1. Short Range. ( SRC) vhf, GMDSS
2. Long Range ( LRC ) vhf , ssb , GMDSS
3. Restricted operator ( ROC) , as 1,2 including GMDSS Sat
4. General Operator( GOC) 1,2,3 and TOR , GMDSS

Most countries tend not to bother with ships licences for pleasure boats but typically this is the only way to get a call sign and mmsi.

You will typically need a SRC or LRC in the med.

I’m a GOC ex VHF instructor

Note that in theory you can have the radio equipment on board with no licensed operator ( since anyone can use the equipment oin a distress situation. ) but some “ authorities “ in the med don’t appreciate this nuance.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:12   #14

Great advice, saw. One small tip-- I too was taught to take up bow slack on the 'slime lines' after tying off the stern. You'll find it's much easier to ease out the bow line and take up the stern mooring lines to get closer to the quay, than it is to take up more of the fixed anchor line if too close.
edsml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:32   #15
Nearly an old salt

You always adjust the slime line after tying the stern. How else could you do it v

Tags
cruising, cruising guides