Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2022, 05:35   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Mediterranean Insurance - Cost and Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Ah Then maybe Topsail did a deal with Canada. Panty and others would not offer. The previous owner, an Australian said that he could only find a couple of brokers who would offer him insurance for his boat in Greece. No one in canada wanted to insure because we where, are not intending to bring it back to canada.

having said that the New Zealand company got me a quote as well. Dont understand the system I admit. Seems strange how I got an offer in NZ and one in the UK but couldn't get one in Canada. Stressful and time consuming. Must have filled out 15 applications before I picked the european one. Well UK as its not politically part of Europe anymore.

Different countries have different rules so insurers have to decide what markets to insure in
Old 12-09-2022, 09:46   #32

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I think in my case different company's have different rules. Or different under righters as I was told a few weeks ago. maybe I am deemed low risk.
as I said I do not understand the logic. As if one UK company will ensure why not others? Looking back at Canadian companies I emailed I did get offers from 2 but only after I was with Topsail. Then the New Zealand company as well. Perhaps phone calls work better, I think if an underwriter is willing to assume your risk for a given price then everything and anything is possible.

Like I said stressful and scary fro about 3 weeks. Now grateful I am covered. very strange that Topsail insured me but not other foreign flagged vessels
Old 02-10-2022, 14:11   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 45

What items do you usually pick on the insurance coverage checklist?

I see one company asked if I wanted war/strike/confiscation coverage for 200 Eur extra. Seems excessive for northern Med.

Another asked if I wanted Beaufort 5-12 wind coverage. I assume we might encounter the odd storm of 40+ knots so should I select this?

What about personal accident insurance? The odd (non-paying) guest might slip and break a leg. Do I need coverage for that?

Does comprehensive insurance cover fuel leaks (in case worst happens and the boat sinks)?
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 00:18   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
I think in my case different company's have different rules. Or different under righters as I was told a few weeks ago. maybe I am deemed low risk.

as I said I do not understand the logic. As if one UK company will ensure why not others? Looking back at Canadian companies I emailed I did get offers from 2 but only after I was with Topsail. Then the New Zealand company as well. Perhaps phone calls work better, I think if an underwriter is willing to assume your risk for a given price then everything and anything is possible.

Like I said stressful and scary fro about 3 weeks. Now grateful I am covered. very strange that Topsail insured me but not other foreign flagged vessels

As I mentioned some companies are legally established to offer insistence on other flags/countries and some are not
Old 17-07-2024, 02:37   #35

Boat: Holiday 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Mickeymill

My Insurer also said they are no longer insuring boats in the Med. We are South African owners with a Polish registered boat. We are looking for 3rd party only at this stage. Strangely lots of insurers wont insure us as we are not EU or UK residents. Can any brokers help please.
Mickeymill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2024, 03:19   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtickles View Post
What items do you usually pick on the insurance coverage checklist?

I see one company asked if I wanted war/strike/confiscation coverage for 200 Eur extra. Seems excessive for northern Med.

Another asked if I wanted Beaufort 5-12 wind coverage. I assume we might encounter the odd storm of 40+ knots so should I select this?

What about personal accident insurance? The odd (non-paying) guest might slip and break a leg. Do I need coverage for that?

Does comprehensive insurance cover fuel leaks (in case worst happens and the boat sinks)?

Ask for the definition of war/strike/confiscation, never decide just by a word you think you know what it means. You might be surprised what they define as strike.

Beaufort 5-12: Again, ask for the definitions. We encountered 60kn in a thunderstorm in the Adriatic.

For comprehensive the insurance covers exactly what the policy says, so you need to read the fine print and ask for definitions wherever they don't provide it already
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 12:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymill View Post
My Insurer also said they are no longer insuring boats in the Med. We are South African owners with a Polish registered boat. We are looking for 3rd party only at this stage. Strangely lots of insurers wont insure us as we are not EU or UK residents. Can any brokers help please.
Hi we are Canadian bought an Australian flagged eu vat paid boat via a Brit broker.

Top sail in the UK was the broker.
Good luck
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 12:48   #38

In Montenegro at present have kiwi boat friends a few miles away. They have 3rd party I’ll ask them who they deal with
Old 19-07-2024, 02:04   #39

Boat: Holiday 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Mickeymill

Many thanks. Much appreciated.
Mickeymill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 04:00   #40

Top sail is the insurance broker.