Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2013, 06:19   #16

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35
Re: Mobile phones in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAspen View Post

2. Getting the Turkish dongle and Sim to work with a Mac is problematic. We were running OS Lion in September 2012 and had the latest update for the Turkish dongle. We had major problems getting the Mac to recognize the dongle. We were able to find a couple of work-arounds to get the Mac to work, something the support people in Turkey could not figure out.

I hope this helps.
Yes, that's another point I forgot to mention. Mac users should not expect much from the Mac support in Turkey. We live in a Microsoft world down here and mac users are considered from Mars. Linux users are like from another galaxy.

Mac is introduced to the market quite recently, it is getting used more and more by people lately but still not enough to have a decent support. Or any support for that matter.
sycankiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:01   #17

Boat: n/a
Re: Mobile phones in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycankiz View Post
Hello all from Turkey.

For internet, go for the 3G usb dongles of any of the above providers. They are sold with prepaid monthly quotas like 1GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB. You will be OK where there is cellular coverage, and if there is 3G coverage, it is fast. There is no coverage problem in any town or city, only in remote anchorages and off the shore passages.

Having said that, in our 2000 miles of cruising in the area last season, we have encountered no coverage at 2-3 places only, all being remote anchorages.

Cheers
S/Y CANKIZ
Thanks for the advice. I will be sailing in Turkey and wanted to bring my iPhone for DATA uses only in areas where there was no FREE/cafe WiFi. I do not need to make calls, but would like to check Internet weather and possibly facebook. Last year in Greece, getting accurate weather information was problematic. Do you know is there a DATA ONLY sim card for use in Turkey?
bornplaydie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey