Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 15:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Moving boat from Spain to Italy. Do I need to "check in"?

Hi

I will be moving my UK flagged, eu vat paid boat from Spain to Italy (Sardinia) in May. I bought the boat new in Spain and have never taken it out of the country. I am British and live in the UK. When I cross from Spain do I need to check in to Italy with officials atall other than with my new marina?

I've tried finding the answer googling but am still not 100% sure.

Thanks
Simon

Ps. I know about the 90 in 180 rule for myself so this is really about the boat itself.
dune16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Moving boat from Spain to Italy. Do I need to "check in"?

If the boat is checked in when entering in Spain, you won't need to check out from Spain and check in in Italy, they are both Schengen countries.
Some time ago, I checked out from Greece , sailed to Sicily and went to port authorities for checking in. They clearly said no need..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:41   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When the boat was new it was sailed down from being commissioned in France. I do not recall it ever being "checked in" to Spain other than marina paperwork being completed. I've never had any issues from authorities while in Spain the last 2 years so do you think it's safe to assume all is well and I can just do my crossing and do the Italian marina paperwork on arrival?
Old 08-03-2022, 01:50   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Presumably you personally will fly to Spain , you will then have cleared into the Schengen area. No further checkin is required once you travel from within the Schengen area.

Technically if you leave the territorial waters you have left the Schengen area but in practice officials accept that direct travel from Schengen country A to Schengen country B remains within the Schengen area

Note immigration issues ( which this is ) have nothing to do with the boat , they are a function of your citizenship and relate to you. The boat itself is not required to “ check in “ per se.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:52   #5

Yes, perfect, that was basically my understanding but thanks for confirming the same 👍
Old 08-03-2022, 16:16   #6

If you have paid the Spanish VAT, then you should not have any problems.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 00:06   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 68'
Smile Re: Moving boat from Spain to Italy. Do I need to "check in"?

hi,
just to share my experience.
I sailed to the EU from Aus (2016-2018)
was in the med for 2 months and took the yacht out of the water in Spain (and came home for 10 months).
When I did this, the Spanish Customs (an EU agency) provided documentation that sealed/unsealed the yacht, with the expectation that it effectively extended the yachts allowable visa (18 months) for the time it was out of the water.

10 months later, I returned and sailed to Sardinia, and was nearing the end of the visa period (the extended period) when the Italian customs impounded the yacht for overstaying the original visa period. The Italian customs would not recognize/acknowledge the documents from the Spanish customs. And now demanding VAT and a fine to be paid.

I have taken the Italian Customs agency to court over the demand, with the view that the visa extension documentation from the Spanish Customs must be upheld. This has now been a couple of years to go through the court systems.

Please ensure that the yacht has paid its VAT and everything is good and proper - Do check in with Customs! and register where you have been and that you have arrived in Italy.

Happy sailing from Aus.
JamesCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 00:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCraig View Post
hi,
just to share my experience.
I sailed to the EU from Aus (2016-2018)
was in the med for 2 months and took the yacht out of the water in Spain (and came home for 10 months).
When I did this, the Spanish Customs (an EU agency) provided documentation that sealed/unsealed the yacht, with the expectation that it effectively extended the yachts allowable visa (18 months) for the time it was out of the water.

10 months later, I returned and sailed to Sardinia, and was nearing the end of the visa period (the extended period) when the Italian customs impounded the yacht for overstaying the original visa period. The Italian customs would not recognize/acknowledge the documents from the Spanish customs. And now demanding VAT and a fine to be paid.

I have taken the Italian Customs agency to court over the demand, with the view that the visa extension documentation from the Spanish Customs must be upheld. This has now been a couple of years to go through the court systems.

Please ensure that the yacht has paid its VAT and everything is good and proper - Do check in with Customs! and register where you have been and that you have arrived in Italy.

Happy sailing from Aus.

Wow, sounds an awful experience! I'm hoping my situation will be different as my boat has always been in the EU, it's UK flagged, was purchased in Spain and has never left the EU. I have the VAT paid invoices, a T2L from the UK prior to brexit and a letter from my Spanish marina confirming the boat was in Spain on the day of Brexit etc. which means it became union goods vat paid. I'll still pop along to customs when we arrive in Cagliari though to see if they need anything from me.
Thanks.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:22   #9

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS

Same position for me - following.

Let us know what happens in practice.
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_ellison View Post
Same position for me - following.

Let us know what happens in practice.
Will do. You're doing Spain to Sardinia? We are crossing from Mahon, Menorca to Carloforte and then on to Cagliari
Old 09-03-2022, 05:52   #11

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS

Our plan is Valencia > Ibiza > Mahon > Alghero (Crew Change) > Cagliari > Sicily > Boot of Italy > Montenegro
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 13:10   #12
Nearly an old salt

Moving boat from Spain to Italy. Do I need to "check in"?

The issue over overstays under the TIP procedure is problematic because the EU directive didn’t provide for an EU wide bonding arrangement and some countries don’t have or recognise a mechanism for placing the yacht in bond to extend the TIP.

Youre in good company I know a super yacht in the same situation
Old 10-03-2022, 13:11   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dune16 View Post
Wow, sounds an awful experience! I'm hoping my situation will be different as my boat has always been in the EU, it's UK flagged, was purchased in Spain and has never left the EU. I have the VAT paid invoices, a T2L from the UK prior to brexit and a letter from my Spanish marina confirming the boat was in Spain on the day of Brexit etc. which means it became union goods vat paid. I'll still pop along to customs when we arrive in Cagliari though to see if they need anything from me.

Thanks.

You have no need to visit customs. Remember no good deed goes unpunished

Tags
boat, Italy, Spain