Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2023, 08:47   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New rules for entering Europe from 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
Its for ANY travel into the EU.

Does my ETIAS travel authorisation guarantee my admission to the territory of the European countries requiring ETIAS?

No. While a valid ETIAS travel authorisation allows you to board your flight, bus or ferry to any of the countries requiring ETIAS, the ultimate decision always lies with the border guards at the border crossing point, who may refuse entry to travellers, based on national laws or security concerns. A border guard may also ask you to provide additional documents to check if the conditions of entry are met.

Also..
As ETIAS will be checked by the traveller's air carrier, sea carrier or international carrier transporting groups overland by coach. If an ETIAS is not approved, the traveller will not be allowed to board the travel vessel, be it an airplane, boat or coach vehicle.

Show me where it says an ETIAS will be required by a person arriving singlehanded on his own 36ft sailboat from the USA for example.
Or will he have to produce it to US/EU Customs when clearing out of America.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:02   #32

Boat: Moody 46
Re: New rules for entering Europe from 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
No. EU citizens does not need a visa when flying to the US.
I'm surprised at this. Surely either a visa or ESTA clearance is required?
Farbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:04   #33

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
No. EU citizens does not need a visa when flying to the US.
Seems you are behind the times/

Each Traveler Must Have a Valid ESTA
In order to travel without a visa on the VWP, you must have authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a U.S. bound air or sea carrier. ESTA is a web-based system operated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to determine eligibility to travel under the VWP to the United States for tourism or business. Visit the ESTA webpage on the CBP website for more information.

When I did the research on the ESTAS, it was pointed out that it was done in retaliation to the changes the US did to Eu travelers.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbrook View Post
In order to travel without a visa on the VWP, you must have authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a U.S. bound air or sea carrier. ESTA is a web-based system operated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to determine eligibility to travel under the VWP to the United States for tourism or business. Visit the ESTA webpage on the CBP website for more information.

When I did the research on the ESTAS, it was pointed out that it was done in retaliation to the changes the US did to Eu travelers
Old 05-09-2023, 09:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Also..
As ETIAS will be checked by the traveller's air carrier, sea carrier or international carrier transporting groups overland by coach. If an ETIAS is not approved, the traveller will not be allowed to board the travel vessel, be it an airplane, boat or coach vehicle.

Show me where it says an ETIAS will be required by a person arriving singlehanded on his own 36ft sailboat from the USA for example.
The process of the airline (or other travel company) checking the visa status of a traveller is not a requirement of the destination country (ie. the country for which a visa/permit is required). However the airline knows that if entry is refused the airline is responsible for the cost of repatriation. If you arrive on your boat and are refused no repatriation is required...you are just turned away into international waters. Having said that there are countries (eg. Australia) who require you to give notice (regardless of visa status) of arrival by pleasure vessel.

So while it may not be stated specifically that a 36' boat owner needs ETIAS compliance, I think what you probably need to find is a clause that says that as a 36' boat owner you don't need the clearance. In lieu of such a clause I suspect that a 36' boat owner is a visitor to the EU/Schengen just like everyone else!
Old 05-09-2023, 09:38   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The process of the airline (or other travel company) checking the visa status of a traveller is not a requirement of the destination country (ie. the country for which a visa/permit is required). However the airline knows that if entry is refused the airline is responsible for the cost of repatriation. If you arrive on your boat and are refused no repatriation is required...you are just turned away into international waters. Having said that there are countries (eg. Australia) who require you to give notice (regardless of visa status) of arrival by pleasure vessel.

So while it may not be stated specifically that a 36' boat owner needs ETIAS compliance, I think what you probably need to find is a clause that says that as a 36' boat owner you don't need the clearance. In lieu of such a clause I suspect that a 36' boat owner is a visitor to the EU/Schengen just like everyone else!
Working on your theory I should be able to sail into the US with just an ESTA.. but I can't, I need a B1/B2 visa.
I think you'll find private yachts will continue to have to either apply for a visa before departing their home country or.. continue to clear into an Entry Port and hope they are accepted.. as they usually have been to date.

Oz is a bit of an outlier, it states one must notify no later than 48hrs before arrival however unless one has Sat WIFI this is not possible.

In my case I sent an email from Vanuatu stating my details and destination as Darwin and gave an ETA of my arrival in Australian waters approaching the Torres Strait.. the morning following my entering the Strait I was overflown by a Border Patrol who took all my details along with boat name, crew details etc then wished me a good trip before flying off... the flyover became a daily thing with a quick hail as they passed.

Oh.. as for airlines, my ESTA counted for zip at Gatwick where an official from Homeland Security refused to let myself and two crew board a flight to Miami because we only had one way tickets in spite of a letter from the owner that we would be leaving the US by boat the following week bound for Australia.
It took a confirmation from a local US Sheriff before the guy would let us fly three days later.. on one way tickets.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:44   #37

Quote:

. . .

Nota bene: Do not conflate the process of commercial carriers checking that their passengers each have an ETIAS so as to be authorized to travel to the territory and the separate process of the checking of ETIAS upon arrival by the Border Patrol personnel.

"Will I be refused entry to the EU without an approved ETIAS?

https://etias.com/etias-frequently-asked-questions

Yes. All non-EU travellers who do not require a visa must have an approved ETIAS to visit the EU or they will be turned away at the border, or prior to boarding a plane or vehicle bound for a EU country. Applicants who are still waiting a decision on their ETIAS application will not be allowed to enter the EU."

Reference Noonsite: In particular scroll down to the part that discusses ETIAS which system is still pending initiation having been delayed repeatedly.

https://www.noonsite.com/cruising-re...uropean-union/

With few specific exemptions every person at every border crossing from a visa waiver country will require an ETIAS.

Unless you fall under one of the exceptions, you are required to have a valid ETIAS travel authorisation to enter any of the European countries requiring ETIAS. Travellers without such authorisation will be refused entry at the border.

Who does not need an ETIAS travel authorisation

You will not need an ETIAS travel authorisation if you are:

A national of a European country requiring ETIAS

A national of any of the countries who needs a visa to travel to any of the European countries requiring ETIAS

In certain cases, nationals of the above countries may be exempt from the obligation to have a visa. In those cases, you may need an ETIAS travel authorisation instead – check the lists above whether this applies to you.

A national of the United Kingdom who is a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement

UK nationals and their family members who are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement are exempt from ETIAS: they may reside on the territory of their EU host country and travel to other European countries requiring ETIAS as long as they hold documents proving their status.

For more information, please check this websiteEN•••.

A national of Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, the Holy See (the Vatican City State) or Ireland

A refugee, a stateless person or a person who does not hold the nationality of any country and you reside in any of the European countries requiring ETIAS and hold a travel document issued by that country

A holder of a residence permit or a residence card issued by any European country requiring ETIAS

See here an indicative listEN••• of the relevant residence permits. Other documents authorising your stay on the territory of these countries are also accepted, if they are in line with Article 2 point 16 of Regulation (EU) 2016/399EN•••. Please consult the issuing authority to confirm if your document meets these requirements.

A holder of a uniform visaEN•••

A holder of a national long-stay visa

A holder of a local border traffic permit, but only within the context of the Local Border TrafficEN•••

A holder of a diplomatic, service or special passport

This exemption applies to the nationals of countries that have concluded international agreements with the EU which allow the holders of diplomatic, service or special passports to travel without a visa. This means that nationals of the following countries can travel to these European countries both without an ETIAS travel authorisation and without a visa:

Armenia, Azerbaijan, China (holders of diplomatic passports only)
Cape Verde (holders of diplomatic and service/official passports only)
Belarus (holders of diplomatic biometric passports only)
Holders of diplomatic, service or special passports from other countries are also excluded from the obligation to hold an ETIAS travel authorisation. However, they may be obliged to have a visa to visit the European countries requiring ETIAS.

Reference link:

https://www.evolutionagents.com/blog...for-yacht-crew

Navigating Europe in 2024

In January 2024, an important regulatory change will impact those travelling to Europe, including yacht crew members. The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) will become mandatory for nationals from over 60 visa-exempt countries planning to visit any of the 30 European countries within the EU. As yacht crew members are not exempt from this requirement, understanding ETIAS and its implications is required.

The Impact on Yacht Crew:
For yacht crew members, sailing or working on European waters will now require an ETIAS travel authorization if their home country is among the visa-exempt nations. Whether you are on duty as part of the crew, going ashore with a seafarer's identity document, participating in an emergency or rescue mission, or navigating international inland waters, obtaining ETIAS is a must.

Streamlining Security and Safety:
The introduction of ETIAS is a strategic measure aimed at enhancing Europe's internal security and ensuring the well-being of its citizens and visitors. By screening travellers in advance, European authorities can identify potential risks, thereby mitigating security threats and maintaining a safe environment.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:52   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Nota bene: Do not conflate the process of commercial carriers checking that their passengers each have an ETIAS so as to be authorized to travel to the territory and the separate process of the checking of ETIAS upon arrival by the Border Patrol personnel.

"Will I be refused entry to the EU without an approved ETIAS?

https://etias.com/etias-frequently-asked-questions

Yes. All non-EU travellers who do not require a visa must have an approved ETIAS to visit the EU or they will be turned away at the border, or prior to boarding a plane or vehicle bound for a EU country. Applicants who are still waiting a decision on their ETIAS application will not be allowed to enter the EU."

Reference Noonsite: In particular scroll down to the part that discusses ETIAS which system is still pending initiation having been delayed repeatedly.

https://www.noonsite.com/cruising-re...uropean-union/

With few specific exemptions every person at every border crossing from a visa waiver country will require an ETIAS.

Unless you fall under one of the exceptions, you are required to have a valid ETIAS travel authorisation to enter any of the European countries requiring ETIAS. Travellers without such authorisation will be refused entry at the border.

Who does not need an ETIAS travel authorisation

You will not need an ETIAS travel authorisation if you are:

A national of a European country requiring ETIAS

A national of any of the countries who needs a visa to travel to any of the European countries requiring ETIAS

In certain cases, nationals of the above countries may be exempt from the obligation to have a visa. In those cases, you may need an ETIAS travel authorisation instead – check the lists above whether this applies to you.

A national of the United Kingdom who is a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement

UK nationals and their family members who are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement are exempt from ETIAS: they may reside on the territory of their EU host country and travel to other European countries requiring ETIAS as long as they hold documents proving their status.

For more information, please check this websiteEN•••.

A national of Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, the Holy See (the Vatican City State) or Ireland

A refugee, a stateless person or a person who does not hold the nationality of any country and you reside in any of the European countries requiring ETIAS and hold a travel document issued by that country

A holder of a residence permit or a residence card issued by any European country requiring ETIAS

See here an indicative listEN••• of the relevant residence permits. Other documents authorising your stay on the territory of these countries are also accepted, if they are in line with Article 2 point 16 of Regulation (EU) 2016/399EN•••. Please consult the issuing authority to confirm if your document meets these requirements.

A holder of a uniform visaEN•••

A holder of a national long-stay visa

A holder of a local border traffic permit, but only within the context of the Local Border TrafficEN•••

A holder of a diplomatic, service or special passport

This exemption applies to the nationals of countries that have concluded international agreements with the EU which allow the holders of diplomatic, service or special passports to travel without a visa. This means that nationals of the following countries can travel to these European countries both without an ETIAS travel authorisation and without a visa:

Armenia, Azerbaijan, China (holders of diplomatic passports only)
Cape Verde (holders of diplomatic and service/official passports only)
Belarus (holders of diplomatic biometric passports only)
Holders of diplomatic, service or special passports from other countries are also excluded from the obligation to hold an ETIAS travel authorisation. However, they may be obliged to have a visa to visit the European countries requiring ETIAS.

Reference link:

https://www.evolutionagents.com/blog...for-yacht-crew

In January 2024, an important regulatory change will impact those travelling to Europe, including yacht crew members. The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) will become mandatory for nationals from over 60 visa-exempt countries planning to visit any of the 30 European countries within the EU. As yacht crew members are not exempt from this requirement, understanding ETIAS and its implications is required.

For yacht crew members, sailing or working on European waters will now require an ETIAS travel authorization if their home country is among the visa-exempt nations. Whether you are on duty as part of the crew, going ashore with a seafarer's identity document, participating in an emergency or rescue mission, or navigating international inland waters, obtaining ETIAS is a must.

The introduction of ETIAS is a strategic measure aimed at enhancing Europe's internal security and ensuring the well-being of its citizens and visitors. By screening travellers in advance, European authorities can identify potential risks, thereby mitigating security threats and maintaining a safe environment.

Maybe boatman61 should show up and let us all know how it works out. When I read "ALL TRAVELERS" in a regulation, I would take it no matter how you show up at a border.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:55   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheers Montanan.. be interesting to watch the progress of this.. in Brussels this is a yacht..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	280551  

Old 05-09-2023, 09:57   #40

Quote:
Working on your theory I should be able to sail into the US with just an ESTA.. but I can't, I need a B1/B2 visa.

Oh.. as for airlines, my ESTA counted for zip at Gatwick where an official from Homeland Security refused to let myself and two crew board a flight to Miami because we only had one way tickets in spite of a letter from the owner that we would be leaving the US by boat the following week bound for Australia.
It took a confirmation from a local US Sheriff before the guy would let us fly three days later.. on one way tickets.
I think we may be talking at cross purposes here. I'm only discussing ETIAS (ie. EU/Schengen), not ESTA (USA). I thought you were saying that you believed that as a 36' boat owner you were not going to be required to be ETIAS compliant...which I doubt.

Your experience with a Homeland Security agent at LGW is interesting (I hadn't realised they had agents on UK soil), however it's still nothing to do with the departure country's agents: it's a destination country's (USA) agent albeit on foreign soil!
Old 05-09-2023, 09:59   #41

Quote:

When I did the research on the ESTAS, it was pointed out that it was done in retaliation to the changes the US did to Eu travelers.
An ESTA is NOT a visa.

An ETIAS is NOT a visa.

An ESTA [for the USA] and soon a ETIAS in Europe will be required for travelers that are from Visa Waiver Program countries.

Travelers from countries where visa are required do not need, nor can they, obtain an ETIAS; they instead must obtain a visa.

The ETIAS will be required at all border crossings by airport, sea port, or land border crossing for VWP travelers.

For example, a person from the UK will need a ETIAS to travel to Europe.

And no the ETIAS is not a retaliatory program, it is similar to the programs of the USA, New Zealand, Australia and Canada and soon to be similar to the UK.

By the way, the correct acronym is ETIAS not ESTAS.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:03   #42

Boatman that is a fine Brussel's ship, meanwhile here is a view of an upscale member's only yacht club.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Neck Yacht Club.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	280552  
Old 05-09-2023, 10:27   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think we may be talking at cross purposes here. I'm only discussing ETIAS (ie. EU/Schengen), not ESTA (USA). I thought you were saying that you believed that as a 36' boat owner you were not going to be required to be ETIAS compliant...which I doubt.

Your experience with a Homeland Security agent at LGW is interesting (I hadn't realised they had agents on UK soil), however it's still nothing to do with the departure country's agents: it's a destination country's (USA) agent albeit on foreign soil!
Hey its not just US agents, we have French agents in Kent checking our passports before heading across to France.. and that was before we left the EU, gawd knows todays rigamarole.
Our Government bends over for all and sundry..

As for the 36ft boat owner, will he be thrown into a migrants camp and his boat seized without an ETIAS.???

Old 06-09-2023, 01:52   #44

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
ESTA is required but a visa is not.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:56   #45

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:

I said nothing about ESTA! What i said was that EU citizens don't need a visa.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, Europe, rule