Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2020, 05:42   #1

Boat: Lagoon 500
pirate Norway to Med

Hi everyone,

I am planning to sail on Lagoon 500 from Norway to Med in August with wife and 3 kids (5,7,9). The idea was to do coastal sailing with 50-120 miles per day without much night sailing so that we sleep every night in marinas/anchorages on the way.

Norway-Denmark-Germany-Netherlands-Belgium-France-Spain-Portugal-Gibraltar-...

Is may plan realistic?
I assume, the weather in Biscay area in September-November is not nice even if we follow the coast.
I also wonder if there are interesting places to visit on this route?
Are we better off just going full speed to Gibraltar without taking all those coastal stops?
Anyone done this route and can share your thoughts and experiences?
Blackie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 09:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Norway to Med

Following the coast of Biscay is more da dangereous as the water gets quite shollows (from 3.000 m to 300 m) and the waves become bigger. Wait somewhere on the north side of the Biscay, look for nice weather windows for 4-5 days and cut it direct to Cape Finestre. The rest is easier.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:31   #3

Boat: Lagoon 500

But how realistic is it to sail this coastal route in August-September?

I am thinking ports like:
Netherlands: Lauwersoog - Den Helder - IJmuiden - Vlissingen
France: Dunkirk - Boulogne-sur-Mer - Dieppe - Cherbourg-en-Cotentin - Saint-Malo - Roscoff - Brest - Concarneau - La Rochelle - Arcachon
Spain: Bilbao - Gijón - Ferrol - Vigo
Portugal: Porto - Figueira da Foz - Nazaré - Peniche - Cabo De Ares
Blackie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 13:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie6 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am planning to sail on Lagoon 500 from Norway to Med in August with wife and 3 kids (5,7,9). The idea was to do coastal sailing with 50-120 miles per day without much night sailing so that we sleep every night in marinas/anchorages on the way.

Norway-Denmark-Germany-Netherlands-Belgium-France-Spain-Portugal-Gibraltar-...

Is may plan realistic?
I assume, the weather in Biscay area in September-November is not nice even if we follow the coast.
I also wonder if there are interesting places to visit on this route?
Are we better off just going full speed to Gibraltar without taking all those coastal stops?
Anyone done this route and can share your thoughts and experiences?

I’ve done that trip in all seasons

The North Sea , English Channel and the Bay of Biscay deserve respect

I have no idea about catamarans , but I suspect that dockage will be an issue

The last trip in November took 34 days

Nice trip ...no sea stories

A family onboard

Kiel canal ...Den Helder

Den helder .Amsterdam

Amsterdam ...Solent

Solent ...Brest

Brest .... Vigo

Vigo ...Lisbon

Lisbon ... Vilamoura

vilamoura ...Cadiz

Cadiz ...Gibraltar

Gibraltar ...cartegna

Cartegna ... Mallorca
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:29   #5

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

The N coast of France and in particular N&S Brittany can be quite treacherous and you really need to know how to work the tides. They are very strong and there are lots of rocks!!

From a safety point of view you could comfatubley sail along the South coast of the uk to Falmouth or Fowey. From there choose your weather carefully and then cross the bay in one leg to La Corona in N Spain. It is then possible to get down to Gib in a series of day sails. Take some time in N Spain and explore the Rias. It is well worth it.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:39   #6

Boat: X442

From Den Helder I did something quite similar but... opted for the non-stop option. Or at least, one stop, in Weymouth. I also did not have on board the entire family (only my 15 yr old son), my good wife and younger daughter went by train to Cadiz, and did have on board an old trusted friend who is/was also extremely experienced.

But I only had three weeks including putting the boat away for the winter, so couldn't plan indefinitely around the weather. And we planned only as far as Cadiz. If time is not an issue then a lot more options become feasible, which will probably revolve a lot around waiting for weather and around the needs of the family.

Having said all this, it is an absolutely amazing trip.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:43   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Agreed, plus the North Sea and English Channel will have predominantly winds blowing from the SW and that is the direction you are trying to go.

If you can work the tides, they will make a huge difference, but you may not be able to stop in a marina each night, likely you will need to leave at 4am to catch the tide. That's life I am afraid.

It is a big boat, so ought to have good passage times, but you are sailing in the high season, so finding marina berths for a 16m cat if you turn up on spec with out booking could be a problem. If you book then you are on a time table and that brings its own problems if the weather doesn't play ball for you.

The tides on the English coast (much nicer and friendlier) smaller and there are a number of free anchorages you can stop to wait the tide and sleep which could be useful.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Norway