Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2011, 19:24   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Off to Ireland

Made it to Cemaes Bay, locked out of Liverpool at 1100, took a couplre hours longer than I thought to get here, but at 0200 in the morning, anchor down, checked, and deck secured, just finished my curry.
Bit of a slog, W'ly 5 to 6, but towards the end got a lift as it backed, which was appreciated as I was hitting the 3 kt flood tide off Anglesey.
It was 54 miles by rhumb line, I logged 80.
Off to my pit to do the deck head survey, early start later this morning
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 11:37   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Made it to Ireland

After a 23 hr sail, having been all over the Irish Sea, made it in to Kilmore Quay at 1000 this morning after 23 hrs beating into mainly SW'ly winds F6 to 7. It was only after 2200 last night that real progress was made when the wind came round north of west, and really took off making 9 knots through the water with 2 reefs in the main and a few rolls in the genoa. Think I learnt more about the boat during that run than I have since I bought her. Certainly putting in reefs and shaking them out, feels like my arms are going to drop off. Was very happy with the performance, she balanced nicely and despite punching into sea and swell, only the occasional pounding. Logged 150 miles, bit more than anticipated. Got another 70 miles to go tomorrow, again its forecast for SW'ly, but got time in hand now, may stop off overnight somewhere before having to be in Crosshaven Saturday morning
Old 19-05-2011, 12:01   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Made it to Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
After a 23 hr sail, having been all over the Irish Sea, made it in to Kilmore Quay at 1000 this morning after 23 hrs beating into mainly SW'ly winds F6 to 7. It was only after 2200 last night that real progress was made when the wind came round north of west, and really took off making 9 knots through the water with 2 reefs in the main and a few rolls in the genoa. Think I learnt more about the boat during that run than I have since I bought her. Certainly putting in reefs and shaking them out, feels like my arms are going to drop off. Was very happy with the performance, she balanced nicely and despite punching into sea and swell, only the occasional pounding. Logged 150 miles, bit more than anticipated. Got another 70 miles to go tomorrow, again its forecast for SW'ly, but got time in hand now, may stop off overnight somewhere before having to be in Crosshaven Saturday morning
Nice one Nigel... glad your beating the odds mate... the gods often smile on the daring..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 15:30   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

A Bene 473 is a good boat to be doing that in.

Coincidentally, I'm reading "Fastnet, Force 10" for the first time. It's one of those core sailing books that you constantly see mentioned in other books, to the point that you think you've read it!

Well, I hadn't, so I got an old copy, and it's scaring the pants off me. The worst bit is that most of the sub-35 footers have the same look on them as the boat I sail today on Lake Ontario, but I know her virtues and vices, and a decent "light gale" is a good way to reveal any of those to the observant skipper.

If you find out if the harbour at Clonakilty has any depth, please post it here. My ancestors are from there, and I wouldn't mind pulling in for a visit one day.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 16:47   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's a very good booked based on the Grimalkin, believe its by the surviving crew member who was left on the boat for dead, scary stuff, but a fascinating read
Old 22-05-2011, 02:05   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Personally, I preferred the original "Force 10" and didn't actually manage to finish "Left for Dead" by Nick.

Indeed scary stuff, but lessons learnt about securing hatches so they can be opened from both sides but stay in place. Also lessons about securing stuff inside. I think Nick describes how an engine battery went flying past him during one knock down. Don't every want to be in a situation like that.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 02:08   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bit windy on the South coast this morning. Living in a town house all the pot plants keep getting blown over. Viv said we should be at sea, we normally are when its blowing a hooley.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	27668  
Old 22-05-2011, 04:16   #23

Boat: Unknown MFV 60ft

Hey guys... It's getting pretty windy in the midlands too - Pete have you seen the weather warnings today? Bit unusual for this time of year with 80mph gusts!

Hey Nigel when are you planning to make the trip back? Should be a strong downhill ride by the looks of things
Old 22-05-2011, 04:49   #24
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Nigel, sounds like you've had a wicked sail so far... I'm almost jealous!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 05:56   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just been looking at Passage weather.com, Monday doesn't look too clever for N Ireland

Pete
Old 22-05-2011, 07:16   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Made it into Crosshaven at 0400 yesterday morning (Saturday), 6 hrs before GF flight landed at Cork, and about the same interval before a W'ly force 9 came through. Left Kilmore at 1000 on Friday, with a forecast of SW 5 to 6, decreasing to 3 to 4, and possibly backing to S. An hour later, hardly any wind, shook out the reefs and making about 6kts on a beat towards Roches Point. An hour later it was blowing up again, first one reef, and then a second reef, by now its gusting 35 kts and some big lumps of sea. At 1700, Securitie message from Valentia Coastguard, SW Force 8, to severe gale 9 IMMINENT. That was not in the original brochure. At this point I should have gone to the deep reef, but the wind was backing and was able to point direct from Roches point, and hoping to crack of the sheets a bit as the wind continued to back. Was making close to 10 kts through the water, and after having taken a fair bit of bruising, thr thought of another trip to the mast was not on the menu.
Sailed all the way into the entrence of the harbour before starting the engine and dropping the sails. Getting alongside was interesting, with 20 to 30 kts directly off the pontoon, no one around to help. 3 attempts to lassoe a cleat on the pontoon, last attempt I just threw a 50 feet bight of rope onto the dock hoping it would catch something, and it did.
Now holed up in Crosshaven, probably until Tuesday. Pleasently surprised at the cost of the berth, 28 euro which is cheap for Eire. Best fish and chips ever at the Cronin pub, should have been fro 17 euro, but well worth it.
All in all it went really well, a bit bruised and I lost my port side light, maybe not quick enough sheeting after a tack and the windward sheet must have flicked forward and hooked the light, so into Cork tomorrowfor and buy another.
In Glandore itself at the moment, brother in law gave me a lift in this morning.
Weather for the return trip is looking good, fast downhill ride.
But this weather seems pretty unusal for this time of year.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:02   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Made it home at last, locked in to Liverpool Marina on Wednesday night after logging 700 miles. Pretty good trip, the first week being really hard work with sou westerly gales, but the ride back home was a blast.
Learnt loads about the boat, things got easier going through the school of hard knocks.
Biggest lesson was I dont think I'll bother rigging the spinnaker on my own. Took an hour to rig, and within an hour of hoisting the wind had come up to 20 knot, and then another hour to get all the gear stowed away again.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:46   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Off to Ireland

All in all a grand ole time... good one Nigel... glad it went well and nothing broke..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:13   #29

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Yes - well done Nigel, great to hear you're back intact, and thanks for keeping us all up to date.
Re spinnakers, we carried a full symetrical but if shorthanded offwind above F4 we learnt it was so much easier and surprisingly almost as fast, to pole out the genoa.
Saved me from divorce more than a few times!
Cheers
JOHN
Old 17-06-2011, 13:21   #30

Boat: Astinor 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
A Bene 473 is a good boat to be doing that in.

If you find out if the harbour at Clonakilty has any depth, please post it here. My ancestors are from there, and I wouldn't mind pulling in for a visit one day.
Clonakilty Harbour is very shallow and dries.

Glandore Harbour to the west and Courtmacsherry Harbour to the east are suitable. (But beware the shifting channel in the latter.)

Admiralty Chart No. 2424.
kindredspirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ireland