Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 05:47   #1

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Passage planning advice winter Corsica

Hey All! So I just bought a lovely new-to-me Super Maramu, and have to get her home from Mallorca to Northern Italy (La Spezia) at the beginning of February. I'm wondering if any of y'all have advice specifically regarding the west coast of Corsica vs the Strait of Bonifacio. Our route will be southerly from Mallorca to avoid the gulf of lyon vortex, to northern Sardinia, easy enough. From there however, I'm passage planning both ways, through the strait and up east side past Elba, and also up the west coast up over the top, avoiding the strait depending on weather, but would like pros and cons if anyone's sailed there in winter. Obviously weather changes everything, but since I've never sailed either place, certainly not in winter, what can I expect? Any weather trends or good ditch harbours to look out for? (I'm thinking Calvi on the west coast and Campoloro on the east). How bad is bad? Maximum conditions that should make me just stay in harbor for another night before going one way or another?

The boat can take whatever the weather dishes out, but can I? Hearing those straits are some of the most dangerous waters in the Med is inspiring a lack of sleep before the big trip...but apparently the west coast builds up to be pretty steep and uncomfortable much of the winter so am I skrewed either way?

Any advice would be most welcomed!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 06:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Passage planning advice winter Corsica

Choose the route with the most safe harbours and entrances.. you are pretty much in a tight choice.. the West has systems sweeping down from the NW every few days whereas the East has predominantly NE systems. usually there's a 2 to 3 day spell of decent weather to make progress but I think there'll be a lot of sailing to windward going North.
Personally I would lean more towards a run across to Barcelona then a fast beam reach to Marseille followed by beam, broad reaching and running before to your home port.
Stay fairly close inshore as the strong winds will mostly be coming from the land.
But.. as with all internet 'guru's'.. take my words with a pinch of salt..
The week ahead is not the norm..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.png
Views:	114
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	162765   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.png
Views:	134
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	162766  

Click image for larger version

Name:	045.png
Views:	124
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	162767  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 06:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Passage planning advice winter Corsica

Congratulations on your new to you Boat. The Amel boats are ones I admire, and would like to get some time on too.

Best of luck to you and Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 07:44   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

I think Boaty has it right. The closer you are to shore, with wind blowing from the land, the less fetch. This translates into less waves.

I sailed a similar plan on the east coast of Sardinia. Blowing 35 knots. Waves in Strait of Bonifacio were 3 to 4 meters. Close to the coast 1 meter. Shredded my mainsail though.

Avoid if possible.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 08:21   #5

Boat: GibSea 472

I agree: staying close to Europe shore is the best option. However, you have to watch the coast close to the border the border between Spain and France(Port Vendres): A capemay increase the wind force for a while. And, alway be carefull when a mistral(north Alpes winds) that are very powerfull and risky in winter. There are lots of beautifull ports where to stop all along this route.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 08:56   #6

Boat: Prout_Catamarans Snowgoose 37 Elite

Boatman61 is right, stay close to the coast in case of NW wind, predominant in this season. Don't bother going to Corsica but just in case Bonifacio has a good harbor and the entrance is possible even with strong W wind. Around the corner, on the east side there is the gulf of Rondinara, lovely place with shelter from NE wind but a dangerous dry (rock) in the middle. After a few miles going to north you find the deep gulf of Portovecchio, sheltered from every direction. I wouldn't use Campoloro with SE and NE winds. Bastia much better.
Amel SM very good choice !!!
Vento cum puppis ire possis!
sistef51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 20:30   #7

Hello,
My firts 47.7 stays in Bastia.
Often, I sail from Barcelona to Bastia.
From Barcelona, I sail to "Les bouches de Bonifaccio".
There is less wind on the east coast, avoid westcoast which is realy windy.
If necessary you may land near Bastia in port Toga where you may stay fore a while (not very expensive).
You could meet one of my friends who is also the owner of a Super Maramu
gmartin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 03:02   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I posted here a couple of weeks ago asking a similar question about Minorca to Genoa but this time in June/July. For reasons someone else will explain, though I put it as a new thread it never got picked up as a new issue and I have, understandably, had no response.

I would be really grateful for advice from any of you with experience of that passage.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 04:33   #9

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Thanks for the advice everyone... I have to get to Sardinia to drop off the old owners, so going near the coast of France is not an option, and I've been talked out of the west coast of Corsica in the winter so... The plan so far is a short hop from Mallorca to Menorca, then passage to Alghero Sardinia, then wait for good weather and go through the strait to Porto Vecchio, then either nonstop to La Spezia or stop off in Bastia or Elba if we feel like it or the weather necessitates it.

Alita, I think the difference between summer and winter will make much of the advice on this thread a little useless, since both the west coast of Corsica and the strait looks like stunning sailing, but I'll let you know how I get on in a few weeks!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 04:41   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Passage planning advice winter Corsica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
I posted here a couple of weeks ago asking a similar question about Minorca to Genoa but this time in June/July. For reasons someone else will explain, though I put it as a new thread it never got picked up as a new issue and I have, understandably, had no response.

I would be really grateful for advice from any of you with experience of that passage.
Just posted on your thread.

To Sojonur.. Alghero's a nice spot.. you'll like Bonifacio as well methinks.. have a grand and safe trip.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Corsica, passage