Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 00:57   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Portimão for winter any good?

Considering heading west this year, and was wondering about Portimão (currently awaiting a quote).

Lagos, Portimão, and Faro all get good recommendations across various forums, but I imagine those recommendations are from people with different interests than me. I mean Lefkas gets good recommendations but wintering there was a disaster. I think everyone I met in Spain who wintered in Lefkas is heading back to Cartagena.

Late 20s/early 30s so looking for a place with lively scene, probably a university town as it means there will young people about. Somewhere where it's easy to buy anything I want in terms of tools, and boat parts including fibreglass supplies, and where there is plenty to do. Also good transport connections not for getting to the UK, but to other places in Europe.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:14   #2
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: Portimão for winter any good?

Stayed there quite a while and enjoyed it. Everything you need but a bit of walking to get eveywhere. Town also always seems busy and not just from tourists.
You can anchor most of the time off Ferragudo or further up river near the boat yard which is more sheltered when it gets rough.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:34   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

As above, nowhere hugely lively in winter. Marina is a bit of a trek from town proper but minutes from the tourist strip above the beach. Good for boat bits.

Or you could always anchor up the Guadiana for free, always cruisers anchored up and a lovely spot.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:32   #4

Boat: Boatless at the moment

When Lefkas was a disaster for you, then Portimao will be worse for you. I lived there.
Old 18-06-2018, 15:32   #5

Boat: Bonaventura 50ft PORTO SANTO

The marina in Algarve,south Portugal neer a town with a university and a international airport is Vilamoura.For boat works the best boatyards are at Portimão and Lagos, W Vilamoura 40 miles by sea or around 80 km by road.Great weather all year around
Porto Santo is offline   Reply With Quote