Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 15:30   #1

Recommendations for Sailing in ITALY

Hi, Just came back from Costa Esmeralda... WOW what a place !!!

Do you have other recommendations as destinations in ITALY ?

Ive been considering Sicily to visit the volcanos, but I'm a bit concerned with the lack of protection ( seems all wide open... ).

Thank you very much.
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:36   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 50
Re: Recommendations for Sailing in ITALY

We cruised in Sicily the summer of 2016. Sicily is one of the most amazing and interesting places I have visited. It combines wonderful culture, history, cuisine, landscapes, ...

For cruising yacht is does not provide the number of anchorages of other areas in the Med such as the Adriatic, the Aegean, the Magdalenas or the Balearics which we have visited.

The Aeolian Islands in particular are quite open, although we spent two weeks in them without any issues.

Other than in Syracuse, a stunning city, I do not remember been in a protected anchorage.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post

Ive been considering Sicily to visit the volcanos, but I'm a bit concerned with the lack of protection ( seems all wide open... ).

Thank you very much.

The Aeolian Island are full of good anchorages with any kind of wind, and they are a great place to sail.
The only thing you have to care, it's to have a good and long rode for the anchor, because sometime you have to anchorage in 12/18m of depth.

While you are sailing from Sardinia to Sicily, don't forget to have a stop at Palmarola, Ponza, and Ventotene very great places(!!!) just on the way!
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post

Thank you very much.

Sicily do not have that many protected anchorages. Same with the Aeolian Islands. I would say a handful anchorages in either place.
In nice weather there are more anchorage’s that can be used.
If the Mistral starts blowing there are plenty with protected marinas.
(Syracuse have a protected anchorage) But it is wonderful cruising areas. Do not miss out on that. When you are on the south coast of Sicily it is a day sail over to Malta. Wonderful history. On Malta you find 4-5 anchorages around the Gozo area.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:20   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
We cruised in Sicily the summer of 2016. Sicily is one of the most amazing and interesting places I have visited. It combines wonderful culture, history, cuisine, landscapes, ...

For cruising yacht is does not provide the number of anchorages of other areas in the Med such as the Adriatic, the Aegean, the Magdalenas or the Balearics which we have visited.

The Aeolian Islands in particular are quite open, although we spent two weeks in them without any issues.

Other than in Syracuse, a stunning city, I do not remember been in a protected anchorage.
Volcano has two anchorages opposite each other, Porto di Ponente (west) and di Levante (east) so depending on the forecasted wind direction one of the two makes good anchorage.
Old 06-07-2019, 13:28   #6

Boat: Antares 44i

Our boat lives in Marina di Ragusa on the south coast of Sicily. We did a circle around Sicily, plus Malta and a stop in Tunisia in 5 weeks last year. Plenty of anchorages, plenty of marinas. Capo d'Orlando marina is a great place on the north side with great access to the Aeolians. I wouldn't miss it. Also, Siracusa and Taormina are special. Heikel's Italian Waters Pilot has what you need. Re: Italy, not too far, we also love Elba, and the islands off of Naples - Ischia, Procida, etc. as well as Positano and Amalfi.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 21:29   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Volcano has two anchorages opposite each other, Porto di Ponente (west) and di Levante (east) so depending on the forecasted wind direction one of the two makes good anchorage.

I love Sicily which I have enjoyed as live aboard, in winter, for the past seven years. However, some words of warning. Marinas are very expensive in summer - in the Lipari islands at criminal levels, and with poor service. Elsewhere, except for Licata and Ragusa, facilities are often bad or non-existent, notably Catania and Reggio Calabria (on mainland, but often part of a Sicily itinerary. If you want to go around, go anti clockwise. You may expect on the beam northerlies on the North coast. On the South cost, most winds, westerlies and northerlies, hug the coast, meaning wind on the nose if you go clockwise. For passing the Straits of Messina, go toCorrenti dello Stretto - Valori e calcolo Correnti Stretto di Messina for perfect graphics forecast.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Italy, men, sail, sailing