Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 22:00   #1

River Danube to the Black Sea

We are planning a trip through the Canal systems of Europe, down the River Danube and out into the Black Sea.

We would then like to sail south into the Aegean Sea, around the Greek Islands heading west until we finally make it back to France.
Our boat is a 24ft Hirondelle bridge deck catamaran, narrow enough to cope with canals but hopefully big enough to deal with the various challenges that such a voyage will bring to us.
We are looking for information from anyone who has done a similar voyage and who would be happy to share any information with us.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 23:26   #2

Boat: Trismus 37
You can go up the Rhine and down the Danube, there has been a canal linking the two for several years now, Currents are the biggest challenge, you need a reasonably powerful motor for the upstream part especially in the spring. It depends at what time of year you plan to do it. You can get a tow from from the commercial canal freight boats.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 23:38   #3

Thanks Steve, our boat has a 9.9 yamaha outboard, what d'you reckon ?
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11   #4

Boat: Trismus 37
Your 9.9 would be struggling against the current in the Rhine, you would probably need a tow. It wouldn't be to bad going down stream in the Danube except when you have to maneuver across the current and perhaps up into the current to moor up at night or wherever you wish to stop, it would take careful planning.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58   #5

Boat: Cascade
Current in Danube is upwards of 5 knts Rhine is the same...

Sailpolaris Home Page
Yachting Magazine - Watch on the Rhine
Old 30-11-2009, 05:57   #6

Boat: Island Packet 35
Danube and Black Sea

The last post has a reference to sailpolaris - my wife and I crewed with Skipper Bob on his cruise from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea in 2006, via the Rhine and Danube Rivers (among other watercourses). Yes the current on the Rhine was strong but we maintained headway by going from apex to apex on the bends, looking for the slower water. With your cat, you could get closer into the bank than we could (6 foot draft).

The fastest currents were in the area of the Lorelei Rock, and Bingen Lock. Bingen Lock has maybe 6 to 7 knots, but you can get a tow through there - there is always a tug on station, waiting to assist the freight barges.

The rest of it is a doddle, and I would go again in a shot - a boat with 5 to 6 knots is adequate. Make sure you have plenty of fuel on board, there are some peculiar rules about re-fuelling on the Rhine, and long stretches of the Danube have no services. Course you are going downhill by then!

Let me know if you want any more information. I posted a short log of the trip on Tom sommers eurocanals yahoo group.

Jeff
Bugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:23   #7

We arrived from Oz in Turkey earlier this year - will play E Med next year, but have been thinking about the Danude-Rhine E-W for 2011. Few people seem to go that way - any reason apart from current?

Any advice/comments/links welcomed
HinewaisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:29   #8

Going up the Rhine or Danube:
You need a very strong and reliable engine.
Even for down it is recommended: You do not go only down, you have to pass ships and so on.....

If it is possible with a cat in Germany in the channels between Rhine and Danube, I do not know, once on the Danube is reached, I do not see any problem.

The route is meanwhile very popular, many sailing boats have done it.
There are many reports on German websites, however in German only
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55   #9

Re: River Danube to the Black Sea

Hi group. We are thinking of taking a motoryacht up the Rhine and down the Danube. Does anyone know the max "air draft" (height under the lowest bridge) you can carry? I've seen conflicting numbers...some say 6 meters, others say 5.5 meters.
BOATaHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 14:50   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

You will need an ICC with CEVNI extensions to navigate the Rhine/Danube.

dave
Old 17-09-2012, 03:16   #11

Re: Danube and Black Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugged View Post
The last post has a reference to sailpolaris - my wife and I crewed with Skipper Bob on his cruise from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea in 2006, via the Rhine and Danube Rivers (among other watercourses). Yes the current on the Rhine was strong but we maintained headway by going from apex to apex on the bends, looking for the slower water. With your cat, you could get closer into the bank than we could (6 foot draft).

The fastest currents were in the area of the Lorelei Rock, and Bingen Lock. Bingen Lock has maybe 6 to 7 knots, but you can get a tow through there - there is always a tug on station, waiting to assist the freight barges.

The rest of it is a doddle, and I would go again in a shot - a boat with 5 to 6 knots is adequate. Make sure you have plenty of fuel on board, there are some peculiar rules about re-fuelling on the Rhine, and long stretches of the Danube have no services. Course you are going downhill by then!

Let me know if you want any more information. I posted a short log of the trip on Tom sommers eurocanals yahoo group.

Jeff
Hello Bugged,
How do I read the Tom Sommers report. Where do I find it ?
Can you buy something similar to the Guide Fluvial of France for the Rhine and Danube?
Rgds
Michael
michael hubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 02:58   #12

Hello again, thanks for info.
Ref ATIS, Is it law to have this facility in German waters ?
My Icom radio has the ATIS facility, but as yet I have no mmsi number. It seems quite a paraphernalia to get one from the MCA.
Anyone got any thoughts on the matter ?
Thanks and Rgds
Michael, bateau Amida.
Old 21-09-2012, 04:24   #13

Hello Gordo,
I am also planning trip Down the Danube next spring/summer starting from Strasbourg, am on the canal Rhone au Rhin at the moment. My email address is [DO NOT POST EMAIL ADDRESSES IN THE CLEAR. EXCHANGE THEM BY PM.] I am trying to find out as to things I should know and read, but so far not much luck.It would be good if we could exchange info.
It seems to me so for, just go and fingers crossed. Rgds Michael Hubble.
Old 26-10-2012, 02:41   #14

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hello Michael, as you are in France see if you can get a hold of the Dutch Barge Associations magazine called Blue Flag and look through some of their back editions as some of their members have done the trip and are very helpful.
Hopefully this will be of help to you.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 03:48   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hubble View Post
Hello again, thanks for info.
Ref ATIS, Is it law to have this facility in German waters ?
My Icom radio has the ATIS facility, but as yet I have no mmsi number. It seems quite a paraphernalia to get one from the MCA.
Anyone got any thoughts on the matter ?
Thanks and Rgds
Michael, bateau Amida.
The Germans require ATIS. On my UK vessel I have an ICOM with ATIS capability as well and getting an ATIS assigned through the MCA was quite easy, one mail and I had my confirmation.