Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23   #1

Sailing in Croatia

I'm looking for information on sailing Croatia. We plan on going early Oct this year for a week. There is only three of us. If anyone can help with info on:

Charter company
Is Oct a decent month to go
Some tips on where to go things to see
Anchorages
Marinas
Books to use for planning the trip

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Timeout661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 08:51   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 36 MkII
Re: Sailing in Croatia

Hi Timeout.
I cannot help you for a charter company in Croatia, but I can give you some infos about the other questions.
October is not the best period to visit Dalmatian Islands: is cold, you cannot enjoy to swim, many restaurants and Marina Services are closed, is difficult to find things to buy and the winds can be often strong (if Bora from ENE also till and over 50-60 kn).
On the other side you have the chance to enjoy one of the most beautiful places for sail without the summer crowd. You will enjoy the sunsets alone in small bays and will sail alone along the canals between the islands. It will depends on your expectations, but Dalmatia in october in my opinion could be one of the best experience of your life.
One week is not too much and what to see or where to go will depend from the starting point. Let me know about and I will give you some advices, but more or less everywhere you go in Dalmatia is Ok.
Hope this will help.
Max
max59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 09:03   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by max59 View Post
Hi Timeout.
I cannot help you for a charter company in Croatia, but I can give you some infos about the other questions.
October is not the best period to visit Dalmatian Islands: is cold, you cannot enjoy to swim, many restaurants and Marina Services are closed, is difficult to find things to buy and the winds can be often strong (if Bora from ENE also till and over 50-60 kn).
On the other side you have the chance to enjoy one of the most beautiful places for sail without the summer crowd. You will enjoy the sunsets alone in small bays and will sail alone along the canals between the islands. It will depends on your expectations, but Dalmatia in october in my opinion could be one of the best experience of your life.
One week is not too much and what to see or where to go will depend from the starting point. Let me know about and I will give you some advices, but more or less everywhere you go in Dalmatia is Ok.
Hope this will help.
Max
Agree with Max we have been sailing here the last three months and for us Aussies the water is still too cold!!! October would be not good.

Check these sites Tino runs a good charter business he will help you. Cheers Frank

Croatia - Cruising Guide - Sailing & Yacht Charter Info
Yacht Charter Croatia - Choose Your Sailing Vacation with Sailing Europe
Old 25-06-2012, 16:18   #4

Thanks for the info Max & Frank. We are now thinking about going for two weeks. My buddy is going to Ireland early September so he has to show an interest at work for a couple weeks before go we to Croatia. So we are thinking Sept 29th to Oct 13th, swimming isn't big on our agenda. Mostly sailing, doing the tourist thing at the major points of interest.

It's kind of a scouting trip for me because I'm taking my family June 2013 there for another sailing trip. Everyone is getting grown so we want to take a big trip while we all can get away from work & school.

From what I gather, sailing out of Split is where we will start. Frank I will see if I can get a hold of the charter you spoke of, thanks.

Three months???? Can't be all bad if you've been there for three months.
Timeout661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:42   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We have been in October for the last 3 years and while the weather is more variable, it is generally warm both air and sea. We were there for 3 weeks in early October last year and the weather was fantastic with air in mid 30s, sea temperatures near 30C. While the sea is cooling down it will still usually be in the mid 20s which is nice unless you are special or Australian. Diligently listen to the VHF forecast from Zadar, Split or Dubrovnik and act on it if the wind is NE (Bora) or E/SE (Yugo), i.e. choose a sheltered anchorage from that wind direction.
We choose to sail on the shoulder periods because its much quieter. Downside is that some restaurants are shut (but there will still be some open although the more remote island ones are likely to be shut), mooring buoys may be removed, shops may be open winter hours and there may not be anyone to take your money for mooring (except marinas which are hideously expensive unfortunately). Plus side is that you can anchor or moor elsewhere easily.
It is difficult to recommend places as there are so many. There are very few stinkers. Most people reckon Hvar, Split Korcula and Dubrovnik are must do's. Get hold of a copy of 777 Harbours and Anchorages which covers every cove and/or the Croatia Cruising Companion by Cody & Nash which covers only Dalmatia up to Zadar but gives a lot more information to get the feel of the places. They both also give good advice re shelter aspects of each place.
Our boat is chartered through Trend Travel and Yachting who I would recommend. There are lots of good charter comapnies so I suggest you find one with the boat you want and then search on web and ask on here for reviews of the company.
You will need a large capacity memory card for your camera, lightweight waterproofs (no boots) and maybe a hat for the sun.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 14:11   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440

A beautiful place, we started cruising early and concur with all your comments, the weather was lousy at first but came good.....
Old 13-08-2012, 15:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeout661 View Post
Charter company
IMHO a reliable one is Albatros Yachting in Zadar.
We used their services several times - never any problems
and very good attitude.

Fleet is mostly Bavaria's. Person in charge: Vjekoslav Marinovich.
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote