Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 13:07   #16

Boat: Young 42
Re: Sailing to New Zealand from Plymouth England summer 2017

Hokiangadad, in what year was your Lidgard 42 built?

Sent from my D2306 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 13:19   #17

Boat: Dufour 405 2010

My Lidagrd was built 1983 launched 84 named Rouge Two, renamed Runaway Bay then Jubilar then we bought it as Valkyrie from Terry Iverson. I would not have sold it if i could have found crew to sail all the way to England then back again. Wife will not sail but has given me a leave pass. Buying a Dufour in England gave me the opportunity to sail UK waters then home in a boat that should do me well for the rest of my sailing years plus not have too much maintenance during that time as she is a well looked after 405.
Hokiangadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 16:18   #18

Boat: Young 42

Thanks for the info. It seems you got a very good price for your vessel. My Young 42, Jipcho, was used by Jim Young as the plug for the mold he used to make his production Young 43. She was built in 1975, so if I can get half of what you got I'd be pleased. With whom did you list your boat. I will likely arrive in Opua in October 2017, and would be looking for a place to keep her secure while I go to live / work in Taipei, Taiwan for awhile. Any recommendations? I once rented a camper and drove around the Northland. I think I remember Hokianga as a lovely protected harbor, but quite shallow. Right?

Sent from my D2306 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 19:46   #19

Boat: Dufour 405 2010

With whom did you list your boat. I will likely arrive in Opua in October 2017, and would be looking for a place to keep her secure while I go to live / work in Taipei, Taiwan for awhile. Any recommendations? I once rented a camper and drove around the Northland. I think I remember Hokianga as a lovely protected harbor, but quite shallow. Right?

A broker came looking for my boat for a chap who wanted one. Terry Needham from Allboat skype terry_needham email terry@allboat.co.nz web Home Page - All Boat Brokerage Ltd

Opua Marina has doen a big extension so berths should be reasonably priced or swing moorings also plus there is also two other brokers at the marin. I have a berth at the marina where we will bring the Dufour back to 2018.

Yes the Hokianga is a large harbour with many mud and sand banks, keeps the water nice and warm for my Laser sailing plus teaching kids to sail Opti and P class. We have a few Sunbursts in the small sailing club also so good to teach kids to sail!
Hokiangadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:01   #20

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

Hello Hokiangadad, the reasons for choosing Bocas del Toro were: ok hurricane protection should I end up having to leave the boat there for longer, reasonable safety, close enough to panama canal for starting the next leg, good flight connection back to Oz via San Jose (Costa Rica), berth or hard stand price and it seems like a pretty friendly place. Any forum comments would be appreciated!
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
England, New Zealand, sail, sailing