Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 19:33   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Sojourn taxes in Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Lol yeah we all miss your humour Dave.

While it was bad for the Greeks etc in the past few years with the bankruptcy scares and then the migrant crisis etc etc they are now out the other side and we can say from a strictly cruisers perspective we sailed greece at an ideal time in hindsight.

It is now much much more crowded last year and I expect this year the same or worse. Still the best cruising in the med but the charm of being able to grab an unplanned spot on a quay most places is now gone and replaced by a #$%^ fight most afternoons. Not quite croatia overcrowded but getting there.

That being the case im not surprised numbers are picking up again in turkey - where else can they go?

Yes Yeloya happy to be boatless at least as far as the med goes for a little while. Meantime when the med is calling me ill be sure to hit you up for a charter
I was still able to spend three weeks there last year. We were in the Ionian's and had forgot how pretty they are.

To the topic though, I still think in Eastern Med, Croatia was the most expensive country I visited and Greece the least. Turkey was cheap if you stayed out of marinas. We spent a little under two weeks in the Balearic Islands and found them much nicer this time compared to our first visit. Mostly due to my increased experience. We anchored in better spots and found much better restaurants. I could spend quite a bit of time there.
Old 20-02-2018, 13:29   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I thought the Bahamas (for US boats) was more like $150<35LOA and $300 >35LOA these days, both with a 90-day two-entry limit? Or is a one-year permit something of a less publicized bargain?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:04   #18

Sojourn Tax in Croatia 2018

Am I correct in saying that the information on the Sojourn Tax in Croatia 2018 has now changed and we are only now going to be charged per person per day onboard AND NOT a yearly fee for the boat ?

Source
Sojourn Tax in Croatia 2018, Re-Examined - Total Croatia Sailing - Total Croatia Sailing

Dave
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 00:03   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

No, that is a misreading of the rules. It is true that the sojourn tax is only payable if the boat is in use, if tied up at a home berth then not payable, but that has always been the case. You have always been able to pay for shorter periods than a year, it is just that the amounts payable have increased many times the previous rate. If you only use the boat for short periods then you can elect to pay the tax for those periods, but like for like you will pay a lot more in 2018 than 2017. What I guess will happen, is that many of those who paid a whole year in 2017 to save repeated visits to the harbourmaster will now get the sojourn tax for each visit, but that will only help those who use their boats for few short periods. For those cruising extended periods, it will still be cheaper (albeit many times more than 2017) to tax for the whole year.
The real problem to me is not that the tax is unreasonable, it is the massive hike in one year and it's discrimatory nature. I and others would probably have no problem with a rise each year at the rate of annual inflation. After all, even if we anchor, we do impose extra load with things like garbage disposal. Where it is discrimatory is that the sojourn tax on charterers (which is levied in a completely different way based on the number of people per day) has risen by much lower percentage.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, taxes