Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 19:55   #1

Boat: Custom 55
Solent to Scotland in April-routing

Hi Forum,
I stuck this up on the wrong forum, and funnily enough, didn't get any replies...

Anyway, we're planning to sail up to Western Scotland pretty early in the season, April to be exact.

Now, we know that the weather's cold and nasty, and that's ok. We'll make short hops and wait to make miles while the weather's reasonable.

But, which way to go? East or Westabout? I'm sort of 50-50.

East: More tides, less harbors, more shipping, more shoals, but we have some protection from the W/SW. We'd go through the Caledonian canal to the W. side.

West: Less tides, more and more attractive harbors, but we have the issue of the jump from Land's end up into the Irish sea. I'm guessing that this might be a difficult route in April.

However, we have a fast boat, so we can go from Land's end to, say, Cork in little more than half a day in the right conditions, so perhaps this trip isn't that big of a deal even at that time of year.

So, old UK hands, which way around would YOU go? I'm guessing most will say W.

Any thoughts, favorite stops?

We have a deep, high aspect keel, so drying harbors are out for us, by the way.

Thanks, amigos.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 14:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Solent to Scotland in April-routing

TJ, given the cold weather in Early April I would go West because the harbours allow you to hop along the coast in between weather fronts.

Bangor in NI has a posh marina in the town centre so great for stocking up before heading North out past civilisation. Rathlin Island has some facinating tides and a protected harbour. However, before you get there the wirlpools of Strangford Lough worth entering. Its the only place in the world were I have seen sea water run down hill.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 20:18   #3

Boat: Custom 55

Thank you, Pete.

Short hops are good that time of year! We try to avoid too many overnighters when it's bloody cold out, so we'll take a right when we leave!

Thanks also for the tips on the harbors.

If you know offhand, can Bangor take a 3 meter draft?

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

TJ, that's a problem I have never had to deal with. Probably but best to give them a ring.

Rathin however, might be a problem, I have seen the paddle steamer Waverley tied up on the end of Rathlin jetty but she also has a shallow draft. You could anchor out though. Don't cut the corner on the way into Rathlin and don't ask how I know

Strangford certainly deep enough, we did a 42m dive through the narrows and still didn't get close to the bottom. However, rushing through the underwater gorge with the tide doing 8 knots was an experience

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Scotland