Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16   #16

Re: South West Ireland

Try the following web site: http://www.visitmyharbour.com However it will only give you info on Northern Ireland. Kinsale is wonderful, There is now a limited stay pontoon in Cork City centre, Waterford has river pontoons and the longer you stay the cheaper it is Arklow is okay but expensive. Howth is better than Dublin city centre marina. Good fish restaurants. Carlingford is nice. restaurant at marina is Lovely. Although the Marina is in need of some work.. it looks like it is falling down... Currently the economic climate in Ireland is very dire, they have massive employment. Like us in the UK, they have had worse Banking problems than we have and have been bailed out the EU. So any visitors will be welcome with open arms. Wonderful place, wonderful people.
Georgiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:21   #17

Boat: Heritage 35

Hi. don't know if this is the right spot to get the information I need? But worth a try I hope.
I am planning a cruise to Ireland, Norway this summer and need some information on storing the boat over the winter 2011/12 and returning in summer 2012 to continue the cruise. What I a looking fore is the Vat implications and any restrictions on doing this. Thanks Noel
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 17:11   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
If you are a not a EU tax resident you can bring your boat into Ireland under the normal TR vat relief scheme. That gives you 18 months. There are many marinas in Ireland that can lift you out for the winter.

Dave
Old 19-03-2011, 17:22   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I've visited Dingle three times on bicycling vacations...is Fungie still alive?
Fungie was still swimming around last July.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:57   #20

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

Hi all,
If you are cruising in Ireland, please give us a shout. We are Ireland's cruising station for SSCA and can direct you to the best sources of information, with personal knowledge about the south and remote west coasts. We have an article about to be published in Practical Boat Owner (August 2011) about cruising the southwest and we are posting additional information soon on our website wwcoastalboating.net as well as Noonsite. Fair winds and cead mille failte.
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:58   #21

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Fungie was still swimming around last July.
And Fungie has been spotted summer of 2011, albeit getting slower and less playful by all reports.
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:28   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Once you get around to Glandore, say Hi to my Mum and sister

Cheers
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 12:57   #23

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingKitty View Post
And Fungie has been spotted summer of 2011, albeit getting slower and less playful by all reports.
I wondered if he was going to be the first dolphin to die of overeating, but it seems to have prolonged his life. which I understand is in the mid-30s, flippin' Methusalah in their years, I believe.

I'm not surprised Dingle popped for a sculpture. He's a prime attraction, that one.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 14:29   #24

South West Ireland

Kinsale is a gourmet foodie place, do the walking ghost tour. Really good fun. Great place to be, two marina one nearer the town than then other - Kinsale yacht club marina.
For cork there is the town pontoon, which are just a quay side no facilities, a couple of marines at cross haven and cobh, all great places and things to do.
Dunmore east, is full of private moorings and it can be hard to anchor. However there are places up the river towards waterford and then into waterford, it has town pontoons and sometimes you need raft up.

Kilmoor quay. Fishing port come marina, nice place very harbour wall.

If you go round carsenore point and round pass rosslare, you can pick the escalator up towards Dublin bay, add a couple of knots to your speed.

Enjoy! They have really good sea food!
Georgiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 17:42   #25

Good advice. We went to Kinsale as cyclists, not sailors, but it's a bit of a fine dining hotspot in a country not flush with that, and the harbour is snug but very well suited to a visit.

Cork, too, is fun and a good walking town and I imagine there's maximum depth in the river these days.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 17-02-2014, 22:31   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Good advice. We went to Kinsale as cyclists, not sailors, but it's a bit of a fine dining hotspot in a country not flush with that, and the harbour is snug but very well suited to a visit.

Cork, too, is fun and a good walking town and I imagine there's maximum depth in the river these days.
Given the rivers flowing virtually down the Main Street at the moment , I doubt it. !

As to fine dining in Ireland , I would disagree, sure it's not france, but the trend in the last 20 years to focus on local ingredients, some of which are the best in the world, has seen a dramatic improvement in the quality of the dining. There was a time kinsale stood out as a foodie place , these days it's a bit of an overpriced tourist trap, better can be had, in many places. ( try the fish restaurants in Kilmore Quay)

Anyways given this is a thread from 2011, one hopes the OP has tried a few places !!!

Dave
Old 18-02-2014, 08:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Given the rivers flowing virtually down the Main Street at the moment , I doubt it. !

As to fine dining in Ireland , I would disagree, sure it's not france, but the trend in the last 20 years to focus on local ingredients, some of which are the best in the world, has seen a dramatic improvement in the quality of the dining. There was a time kinsale stood out as a foodie place , these days it's a bit of an overpriced tourist trap, better can be had, in many places. ( try the fish restaurants in Kilmore Quay)

Anyways given this is a thread from 2011, one hopes the OP has tried a few places !!!

Dave
Well, I haven't been there since '95, and so my information might be out of date. In which case: good! as I've had some appalling "meals" in Ireland. Never a bad breakfast, mind you, but dinner was a different and sometimes discouraging matter, particularly in the middle of the country.

As for Cork, I was really just in town for the walking and the Murphy's. I have seen some photos that make it look like a Celtic Venice.

Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 18-02-2014, 23:54   #28
Nearly an old salt

Well 95 is nearly 20 years ago. My experience has been the rise of good gastro pubs. The bigger cities of course have always has fine albeit expensive dining if you wanted it.

You can still get a good lunch for €12

Dave
Old 19-02-2014, 09:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well 95 is nearly 20 years ago. My experience has been the rise of good gastro pubs. The bigger cities of course have always has fine albeit expensive dining if you wanted it.

You can still get a good lunch for €12

Dave
The next time we will get to Ireland is on our own hull. It will have been, I trust, worth the wait.
Old 22-03-2014, 05:46   #30

Boat: Heritage 35

Waterford is another good spot and really reasonable If I remember correctly about $65.00 cdn for the week! Marina right down townand well secured. KIlmore quay is a wonderfull spot good for the jump to points east and North Arklow very good for fuel Dun leary(Iknow Ive spelled it wrong) Howth all the way up to Belfast and the express train from Howth to Bangor is great fun making 9-10 over the ground is always a high then there is Carrick Fergus and Glen Arm so lots of places found the food better in Ireland than Scotland and think the whiskey was better to!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ireland