Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 21:40   #1

Split or Dubrovnic ? Mono or Cat ?

We have decided on the first week in September for a charter to Croatia. We had planned on Dubrovnik but the flights home (US) are better out of Split. We could change the dates somewhat to make Dubrovnik work, do a one way charter Dubrovnik to Split (but we will have only 6 nights aboard) or just sail in and out of Split. Any thoughts?

We normally sail a Catamaran because my wife gets a bit uncomfortable on a monohull. I am concerned with being able to find births for a catamaran during the trip. Would this be an issue?

Thanks!
Simfr
simfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 05:34   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Split is better closer to islands the dub. For such a short time it's a better starting point

Dave
Old 16-01-2011, 06:22   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
What Dave said. I will just say two things:

1. You will regret having only one week in this incredibly fascinating place. If you can possibly manage it, you should go for longer.

2. They med moor there, and cats - and suitable berths - are few and far between. That being said, yiu will not spend much time in marinas due to plethora of gorgeous anchorages. We chartered a locally made performance mono - a Salona 45 - out of Split - highly recommend.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 06:43   #4

Thanks. We have been dying to go for a long time. Unfortunately, there is only a certain amount of time we can leave young kids with older grandparents. Put it off longer or go now for a week???....I chose the latter. I have no doubt that I will want to go back with more time.

I really think she would do ok on a monohull but it will be no holiday if my wife is feeling poorly. I know she does ok with a cat and a patch.

What company did you use out of Split? It sounds like you were pleased
simfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:01   #5

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Cats are not as plentyfull in Europe as in the US but mooring shouldn't be a problem, the only thing to bear in mind is that most marinas will charge you for two berths due to the extra width. However, I'm sure I really don't have to tell you that a cat will be more comfortable on the hook than a mono so you'll need less marina time anyway.
Old 18-01-2011, 08:18   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We met plenty of big cats parked in marinas in July even upriver at Dubrovnic - as well as along the coast. But that was back in 2007 so things could have changed since.
As others have said you will find plenty of places to anchor OK and on some islands you'll get freebie mooring at restaurant jetties Iwhen you eat there) so IMHO overall I'd not worry about finding aplace to stop - it certainly would not stop me returning..........
My recommendation on itinery would be in and out of Split. Maybe anticlockwise, head south then out and up some islands, so you end up running back down and towards the coast at holiday end before the prevailing nl'y winds. A lovely place.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 18-01-2011, 09:11   #7

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
We're planing to charter out of Split in mid-July. Picked Split because of access to the islands and because air access is pretty good. Also, the company we are using (Poseidon Adventures) has connections there (although also in Dubrovnik and elsewhere.)

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 08:38   #8

In April you can expect a cold sea, around 16 degrees Celsius. If you a lucky, you wil get a planty of sunshine. Bora wind is not that strong as in march, when it comes around.

Many charter company have a mini-bus and can organise a transfer from airport to base. BTW, a Trogir is 5 km from Split airport, and Split is about 20 km from airport, so you can check charters in Trogir or maybe Kaštela (7km from airport).

You should try to bargin for a price - winter was long and charter companys are out of cash :-)

For local info check e-zines
Adriaticsailor | Nautical news| Navigation | Croatia | The Adriatic | Sailboats |The Adriatic coast | Adriatic motor boats
Naucat - nautical magazine
slaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 09:13   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by simfr View Post
Thanks. We have been dying to go for a long time. Unfortunately, there is only a certain amount of time we can leave young kids with older grandparents. Put it off longer or go now for a week???....I chose the latter. I have no doubt that I will want to go back with more time.

I really think she would do ok on a monohull but it will be no holiday if my wife is feeling poorly. I know she does ok with a cat and a patch.

What company did you use out of Split? It sounds like you were pleased
Yes, the charter company was one of the best I have used. It was AB Ovo Salona Club. Their base is in Kastela, on the edge of Split towards Trogir.

The Salona 45 we chartered was a cut above the usual Bene charter boats we had had up to that point. A very nice boat with very good performance.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:15   #10

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
It's been 7 years, and we remember our Croatia cruise as one of our very best. Two weeks of cruising from Dubrovnik to Trogir and back aboard our brand new Leopard 42 (catamaran) that we had purchased and put into charter with The Moor..... Only used one marina - there were so many beautiful anchorages, either remote or like the harbor at Hvar. Spent a few nights med moored at nice waterfront restaurants such as Korbas on Peljesac Peninsula and Burbon at Polace on Mljet Island for no fee - just enjoy the meal and step back aboard for the night. Hvar is not to be missed, nor is Korkula, and the old city of Dubrovnik is really special. If the First Mate prefers a catamaran, why risk a special vacation with anything else? In those days we saw very few cats, but we had no problems at all. Med-mooring a cat is easy, it's just more expensive in marinas.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 17:45   #11

Boat: Lagoon 44
Croatia

Cats are more expensive at the many little ports/harbours/quays etc.

They are becoming more popular in Croatia. I have a Lagoon 440 and enjoyed my time there very much.

I've flown out of Split airport a few times. Usually to Rome and then on from there, works well. Dubrovnik is only small do believe more flexibility with flights from Split in the time you are talking about.
jamieL is offline   Reply With Quote