Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 00:42   #16

Re: Strofades islands in Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
The rules have changed now and authorities do not want you to tie to trees, so beware
Well, in Turkey (where I always sailed before) they have this rule for a long time so I'm used to it Rocks are usually good enough.
steppencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 04:20   #17

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppencat View Post
No, I don't know much about Greece yet - I've ordered "Greek waters pilot" by mail, it should arrive in a few weeks. Katakolo seems a nice option (Kyparissia is too far from Lefkada where we should return after our 2-week cruise).

But I still like the idea of spending a day in this desolate place. I think I will plan this way but in case of strong wind will keep an option in mind.
After looking at Noelex picture I am sure I passed there 2 or three years ago and planned to lay anchor on that exact place. I arrived with 20K wind and increasing, there was a boat there and it was taking a beating. I sailed away and I would not counsel you to stay there with winds over 10/15k. The protection is not good and the bottom, as Noelex pointed out is tricky. Only if you can see clearly where you put your anchor you should attempt it and with some wind and sea you would not be able to see it.

Sometimes nice pictures like the one Noelex posted can be deceiving. Here you can see a areal view from Google and you will see that the best place in what regards the bottom is on the West of the bigger Island, where on the Noelex picture is a sailing boat, unfortunately that is exposed to the prevailing winds on the summer.

From Lefkas you have plenty of places nicer than Katakolo, even if all that area has plenty of sailing boat. If you like to sail with less sailboats around try the Ambracian gulf where the wind works like a clock: Little wind at night, little in the morning till mid day and then 20k wind on the afternoon. Much cheaper and less touristic too. But just if you want to sail, because those 20k on anchor on the afternoon can be annoying on most places.

Have a look at the pilot book and ask questions, it seems Noelex knows very well the region and I have passed there on the last three years, so I know also a bit about it.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 05:11   #18

I've also looked at the satellite images. Northern part of the larger island seems nice but yes, if prevailing wing is NW - it's not a good idea to anchor there.

Concerning Ambracian gulf - well, it's not my choice to sail in a closed space. I like to go as far as possible and to include some challenging tasks in my cruises. Strofades should be a furthest point and I really want to visit them. Partly because I like desolate ancient structures, partly because these islands seem very exotic - I couldn't find any info about this place neither on this forum or on http://www.cruiserswiki.org/.

And maybe it's not such a scary place - if Noelex spent a whole week there

Right now my plan for 2 weeks looks like this:
Lefkas - Sivota - Assos - Argostoli - Vromi - Nikolaioss - Killini - Keri - Strofades - Zakynthos - Poros - Frikes - Lefkas.

Mostly standard places so I want throw in something off the beaten track

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...A.kAR9sj5tWzb4
Old 23-11-2014, 09:40   #19

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

If you like to visit Monasteries don't miss the one on Patmos home of St John which is probably the most well preserved do to its fortifications with its exceptionally rich museum. Also this one on Amorgos is quite stunning!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 10:52   #20

Quote:
I've also looked at the satellite images. Northern part of the larger island seems nice but yes, if prevailing wing is NW - it's not a good idea to anchor there.

Concerning Ambracian gulf - well, it's not my choice to sail in a closed space. I like to go as far as possible and to include some challenging tasks in my cruises. Strofades should be a furthest point and I really want to visit them. Partly because I like desolate ancient structures, partly because these islands seem very exotic - I couldn't find any info about this place neither on this forum or on http://www.cruiserswiki.org/.

And maybe it's not such a scary place - if Noelex spent a whole week there

Right now my plan for 2 weeks looks like this:
Lefkas - Sivota - Assos - Argostoli - Vromi - Nikolaioss - Killini - Keri - Strofades - Zakynthos - Poros - Frikes - Lefkas.

Mostly standard places so I want throw in something off the beaten track

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...A.kAR9sj5tWzb4
Yes, but I bet not with 20k wind

In fact the Ambracian gulf is out of the beaten track and generally more challenging to sail than all the other nearby Ionian parts. Maybe that's why there are so few sailboats there, compared with Ionian. It is beautiful too. As i said, always strong winds on the afternoon, a lot stronger than on the Ionian around. I think it has to be surrounded with big mountains. You have there, near Preveza the ruins of one of the big Roman city. That closed sea is much bigger than what it looks on the map.

You have nice places on your list.
Old 24-11-2014, 12:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalifour View Post
If you like to visit Monasteries don't miss the one on Patmos home of St John which is probably the most well preserved do to its fortifications with its exceptionally rich museum. Also this one on Amorgos is quite stunning!
These are great, but they are in the other side of Greece
Maybe next time.
I've got kinda scared of summer Meltemi in Aegean after all these stories "we stayed in the marina for a whole week because of strong wind"
Probably I'll try Cyclades in october.
Old 24-11-2014, 12:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
In fact the Ambracian gulf is out of the beaten track and generally more challenging to sail than all the other nearby Ionian parts. Maybe that's why there are so few sailboats there, compared with Ionian. It is beautiful too. As i said, always strong winds on the afternoon, a lot stronger than on the Ionian around. I think it has to be surrounded with big mountains. You have there, near Preveza the ruins of one of the big Roman city. That closed sea is much bigger than what it looks on the map.
Seems interesting, I guess I should visit it too, but you can't have it all a one time
Old 24-11-2014, 14:55   #23

Quote:
Seems interesting, I guess I should visit it too, but you can't have it all a one time
I discover it by accident. I had blown out both sails on a small gale (I had carbon racing sails not suited for strong winds) and I went to Preveza to repair the sails. I had only left a jib so I headed for that interior sea and I was surprised: After mid day I could perfectly sail with only the small jib. I remember to have made 7.5K close to the wind with 30k apparent

Regarding the scenery I will show you some:

As you can see very few sailboats. The 1st image was taken in Koronisia, the 2nd in Menidhion, the 3rd and 4th on Paliamylous, the nicest place. There is a small beach café/Restaurant, very basic (and nothing more) that belongs to a very curious character, a rich Greek (the guy on the middle on the photo) Petrus that stays there on his summer holidays for the fun of it. Two years ago he was expecting the delivery of a Jeanneau 44? so It is possible that the boat is on the bay but I bet he is still grilling sardines for his friends that are also clients.

Tags
Greece