Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 07:06   #1

Summer in Tunisia

Due to Schengan constraints we are thinking of spending July, Aug, Sept cruising around Tunisia. We're a married couple from Australia (Brett has an Australian passport; I have an English one) and currently sailing in Mallorca. We'll be heading to Sardinia this week and then onwards. Any suggestions of where to go in Tunisia? I'd also like to hear about safety. Thank you!
Jane and Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 07:18   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Summer in Tunisia

Hi! It would be nice if you'd learn a few Arabic words and sentences. Spending 3 months in Tunisia, is way too much. Make sure you do not discuss anything about their politics and the Muslim religion; two extremely sensitive topics in the middle-east. Safety of foreigners is not guaranteed; politically unstable country. I would recommend that you spend a couple of months sailing between Greece and Israel; Israel requires an entry Visa and I am not sure about Greece's. Keep us posted! Sail away!

Mauritz
Old 27-06-2013, 07:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane and Brett View Post
Due to Schengan constraints we are thinking of spending July, Aug, Sept cruising around Tunisia. We're a married couple from Australia (Brett has an Australian passport; I have an English one) and currently sailing in Mallorca. We'll be heading to Sardinia this week and then onwards. Any suggestions of where to go in Tunisia? I'd also like to hear about safety. Thank you!
Make sure you check out visa requirements for Australians. As an Aussie, when I arrived in Tunisia a few years ago without a visa at Yasmine Marina, it caused a huge amount of fuss and I was only given a visa for 7 days (later with difficulty extended). The UK and US passport holders with me had no such trouble - they had entry for three months.

I just checked out the current regs and it seems a 3 month visa is issued on arrival for Aussies now, but New Zealanders are still subject to only 7 days, so it would be worth confirming things haven't altered just before you go.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 00:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane and Brett View Post
Any suggestions of where to go in Tunisia? I'd also like to hear about safety. Thank you!
Visa limitations have already been mentioned. Your other escapes from Schengen are UK, Montenegro, Albania, Turkey, Cyprus and the Levant.

Have you considered the possiblity of getting a residence permit in one of the Schengen countries? It's not too arduous a process, and makes life much easier! Speak with your Oz embassies in the country you'd like to spend most time in. Say, Greece.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 00:08   #5

Boat: Selene 59

Hi we are Australians too and entered Port Yasmine last year without visas and had no problem, they issued them when we entered. We didn't feel threatened in any way but head the warning on the Australian Government website Tunisia | Travel advice | Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service

Personally it would have driven me mad to spend 3 months there, I would suggest Turkey or Croatia, I believe although they have joined the EU they haven't yet implemented Schengen.

Brownie
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 22:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post
Personally it would have driven me mad to spend 3 months there, I would suggest Turkey or Croatia, I believe although they have joined the EU they haven't yet implemented Schengen.
Agree your point about 3 months in Tunisia!

Turkey is not in the EU, offers good cruising for an extensive period, and has good yacht support - expecially around Istanbul, Bodrum and Marmaris. A circuit from Istanbul to Alanya could easily occupy 2 months or more, with lots of variety.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 23:39   #7

Boat: Selene 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Agree your point about 3 months in Tunisia!

Turkey is not in the EU, offers good cruising for an extensive period, and has good yacht support - expecially around Istanbul, Bodrum and Marmaris. A circuit from Istanbul to Alanya could easily occupy 2 months or more, with lots of variety. More detail Turkey | JimB Sail
Istanbul to Alanya in 2 months .... you could spend the 2 months in the south west of Turkey alone (Bodrum to Fethiye) and still not see it all, we have been here 3 months last year and three months this and have only covered Yalikavak to Kekova Roads (plus Ephesus, Pamukale, Capadoccia etc by road).

Be aware (prepared) though Jane & Brett, whether you are talking Tunisia or Turkey, July and August are very hot, much hotter and consistently hot than France & Italy etc.
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 07:28   #8

Boat: Warwick 46

Tunisia Live, a daily internet newspaper wriiten for Americans and Europeans, gives a good day-to-day view of news there although I suspect it downplays sectarian conflicts.
ssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 09:35   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Hi, Jane and Brett: If You are around Mallorca, before You go, Visit Cabrera Island. Maybe, You have done already but if not, do it. For Me is the perfect place in the Balearics. And in the way to Sardinia, visit Cla Macarela, south of Menorca and all the small calas around; they are beautifull..
Regards, Sonja and Agustín.
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 14:09   #10

Boat: Moody 38 S

I live in Cagliari, Sardinia, and I went in Tunisia last year and also two weeks ago (but only for some days because I was going to Malta).
No trouble, frendly people, many nice and interesting places to visit.
The life there is cheaper than here.
Many people go there for the antifouling because you spend only 1/4 than here.
Maybe I'll go to visit the gulf of Gabes.
CQR25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tunisia