Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2011, 04:32   #1

Temporary Import into EU

Has any one experience.... I am taking a new yacht built in the EU for export through the kiel canal germany to the UK and then into the med and was considering stopping at helgoland off the German coast as it is outside the EU VAT system in order to temporarily import to the EU when in the UK. However I understand that Helgoland isnt a port of entry for Germany so am I wasting time stopping there as I presume I will need a clearance document to show the boat had left the EU Vat area?
lumahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 07:15   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: Temporary import EU

No personal experience of Heligoland, but we've had Aussie pals who purchased in Germany - registered in Aus - and had no issues stopping by in the UK on their way to the Med.

But I suspect you builder has dealt with such issues before so maybe ask them how it's been managed before.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 28-10-2011, 15:24   #3

Boat: Morgan 462
Every country interprets the VAT differently. We went to Morocco to check out of the EU this year and are still trying to find someone interested in our departure and reentry into the EU. Spain is not interested.
We checked into a marina in Morocco and checked in and out of the country. A marina receipt may be sufficient. It is England that will be looking at your documentation so I would ask immigration/customs there what is acceptable.
terra57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 02:47   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Re: Temporary Import into EU

As long as you are not an EU resident you can buy a boat in the EU, register it somewhere else and pay no VAT as long as you leave the EU within 18 months. We did that and after 16 months visited Morocco for a few days and then returned to the EU for another year.
If you are an EU resident there is no easy legal way to avoid the VAT. Many super yachts are owned by corporations outside the EU but that's a complicated route.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import