Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 15:55   #136
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Tips for Greece

CapitainMike you seriously need to take a chill pill

it remains a largely green and pleasant land.

lets go back to the topic, I have no wish to argue the merits or demerits of the UK.

Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 02:06   #137
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I beleive your reading of the situation is incorrect. Greece will remain a basically stable country where the rule of law applies

Secondly. All western countries have spent more then they earned. The US being up there with the rest of them. Greece is just the first correction.

I also do not think that the voters of Germany or France will react in the way you think. Firstly both France and Germany have their own problems and will be pouring money into their own banks soon enough. Secondly it's the taxpayers of Greece that will pay the most. Thirdly the citizens of France and Germany will regard themselves as lucky if all that is required is a few couple of 100 billion euros to solve this mess.

Dave

I don't want to start a macoeconomical discussion about the Greek economy, but to point out couple of fact seems inevitable:
-yes, many countries including the USA have overspent. However, you cannot compare any of these countries by any standard to Greece. USA is one third of the world economy and has the privilege to stamp a USD banknotes as much as he wants (or almost..) Italy, Spain have a sizeable industry, Greece has nothing, but tourism, olive/olive oil; shipping, all in decline. To me, the default cannot be avoided.

Merkel has lost all recent local elections without exceptions, Sarkozy has even lost the majority in the Senate.

Said this, I have many friends living in the Dodocanese and I am visiting these islands frequently. The impact of what we said above will be minimal to us, cruisiers, It may even be positive; just don't rely their on their transport infrastructure. Long delays, cancelled flights, etc, are very likely.

One option I have is to reverse my trip. We had planned to cruise Croatia, Italy, and France in our second year (2013). Maybe I should do those areas first, see what develops, then head to Greece in 2013. It's hard to visualize this change after spending two years planning on Greece first, then the others.

Palaran, I would just do the opposite. I don't think Greece will improve over years to come. You'd better go as early as possible. Meanwhile, I may catch you in the BVI's on my way back to Med, my timing is very close to yours..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04   #138
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The slow and inevitable fall of the value of the dollar shows how it's debt is effecting the view if it. China may undoutably float the yuan and in years to come it will probably become the primary reserve currency. As befits it's leading world economy.

The euro will not only survive but trive as all the world needs another reserve currency, especially in the medium term. Whether Greece partially defaults or not is somewhat irrelevant, it will not be allowed to catastrophically default. It will also remain in the euro. Greece default is primarily a European banking issue and these exposed banks will be recapitalized.

All this is to say that no planing by any tourist should be factored on these macro money issues. Go and visit and enjoy. Worrying about the odd transport strike in a European country is just amusing.

Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 12:25   #139

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
CapitainMike you seriously need to take a chill pill

it remains a largely green and pleasant land.

lets go back to the topic, I have no wish to argue the merits or demerits of the UK.

Dave
The topic it is.

Politics and religion are usually subjects that I stay clear of. Yes a largely green and pleasant land "where it is not inhabited" I am saving a chill pill for you whenever you want it, I will have it waiting
Old 10-10-2011, 00:34   #140

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

You have to smile when anyone whinges over UK immigration.......but thats prpbably not a new thing.

The islands original inhabitants probably whinged when the Celts arrived.
The Celts probably whinged when the first Angles arrived.
They were probably seriously pissed when the Romans rocked up.
The resultant mix resented the Vikings who came next....and then, bugger me, the Normans arrived to take control.......
For of course then came the more recent layers of refugees from the big wars, the mix of peoples who worked in the wider Brtish Empire, and now the influx of EU residents who enjoy the same rights to work that the Brits get from EU membership.

Do you ever wonder Mike, just when your family genes actually immigrated to the UK? I would love to get a handle on why someone who thinks that come from one layer of immigrant believes that gives them greater ownership of a land, than those who arrived in a different period?

For me this mixed layer of races in the UK does it no harm. Sure each influx presents issues to deal with (ask the Celts) but it eventually settles down to make a mixed special place. A place where freedoms are still valued.

Anyway I'm sure you appreicate being in the EU just so you can run off the Greece and enjoy life there........you made the right decision.

But perhaps stop whinging.
It makes you sound oddly like an Englishman..........

John
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09   #141

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
You have to smile when anyone whinges over UK immigration.......but thats prpbably not a new thing.

The islands original inhabitants probably whinged when the Celts arrived.
The Celts probably whinged when the first Angles arrived.
They were probably seriously pissed when the Romans rocked up.
The resultant mix resented the Vikings who came next....and then, bugger me, the Normans arrived to take control.......
For of course then came the more recent layers of refugees from the big wars, the mix of peoples who worked in the wider Brtish Empire, and now the influx of EU residents who enjoy the same rights to work that the Brits get from EU membership.

Do you ever wonder Mike, just when your family genes actually immigrated to the UK? I would love to get a handle on why someone who thinks that come from one layer of immigrant believes that gives them greater ownership of a land, than those who arrived in a different period?

For me this mixed layer of races in the UK does it no harm. Sure each influx presents issues to deal with (ask the Celts) but it eventually settles down to make a mixed special place. A place where freedoms are still valued.

Anyway I'm sure you appreicate being in the EU just so you can run off the Greece and enjoy life there........you made the right decision.

But perhaps stop whinging.
It makes you sound oddly like an Englishman..........

John
Answered by PM
To avoid filling the thread.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:03   #142

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

G'day Mike,
I got the super long pm and it must have taken a long time to put all that together.
Clearly you feel strongly on this subject but not nice to cast such snide comments via a private message.
I strongly suggest you need to chill. You're getting too het up on this one. Dial me me out of any more pm's and sail safe.

JOHN
Old 10-10-2011, 12:20   #143
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

alive and well in cornwall,soon to be independent from the uk.
plans are afoot on cornering the pastie market to the uk and taxing sunshine users.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:38   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
G'day Mike,
I got the super long pm and it must have taken a long time to put all that together.
Clearly you feel strongly on this subject but not nice to cast such snide comments via a private message.
I strongly suggest you need to chill. You're getting too het up on this one. Dial me me out of any more pm's and sail safe.

JOHN
Snide no!! True Yes!! Don't start something you cannot finish.
So consider yourself dialled out Good luck and safe and happy sailing to you and yours. Mike
Old 12-10-2011, 00:55   #145

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Can we stop the snide socioeconomic/political remarks. Recent postings are of no benefit regarding Tips for Greece -- which is supposed to be the topic of this thread.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:07   #146

Hi BeBe,
Being in the Med cruising do you have any helpful tips that would help me, maybe tips that I have missed I would be most grateful for your help.

Mike
Old 12-10-2011, 01:34   #147

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Hi BeBe,
Being in the Med cruising do you have any helpful tips that would help me, maybe tips that I have missed I would be most grateful for your help.

Mike
Since you live in Greece there is likely not anything I would know that you don't already know.

We entered Greece at Samos in June 2011 and sailed west to Piraeus, then zig-zagged island hopping down to Crete before sailing east again. Some of the tips I read earlier in this thread were beneficial as we island hopped. As we plan to visit Greece at least twice again in the next 2 summers, any tips are greatly appreciated. Prognostications on the economic and political situation in Greece are of no use; whatever happens will happen and cruisers comments won't affect those happenings. We will visit twice again unless Americans are barred from entering Greece for some unforeseeable reason.

Best tip I can provide is to buy a dozen or so of those .88Euro stamps when you can find them --the stamps that should be posted to your transit log . These were not available in Pythagoria on Samos or at Piraeus when we visited, yet in Piraeus the official wanted us to have the stamp. He waived the stamp since these were not available for purchase, but told us to buy several at our next stop. Tried to purchase the stamps at Nikolaou on Kea but the officials there had never heard of these stamps. Cruised through Greece for 86 days and never did find a place to purchase these stamps, and never encountered a problem with the officials for the lack of the stamps. Seemed as though as long as you cleared in at the various ports and had the transit log entries by the various port police, then the required stamp was ignored.

Our favorite anchorage thus far in Greece was Ormos Kolona at Kithnos, lat 37.40.1N long 024.19.3E because of the nice beaches and great shelter (avoid during westerlies). Favorite town quay was at Finikas on Syros. Lovely little town with very easy and frequent bus access to the main town. Car rentals available at reasonable price to allow visiting the old walled town up in the mountains. Next trip we hope to visit different islands.

One tip I will mention to anyone planning to visit Ios. If winds pick up any at all, the western outer quay becomes completely untenable. I would not leave my boat there for a ferry trip to Santorini unless positively certain that there would be no winds developing during my absence. We watched one boat after another depart off that wall and head out in 30-kt winds because they had no choice. Try to get in the inner harbor, where it gets very bouncy due to surge caused by arriving fast ferries; but is very protected from any wind.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:28   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Since you live in Greece there is likely not anything I would know that you don't already know.

We entered Greece at Samos in June 2011 and sailed west to Piraeus, then zig-zagged island hopping down to Crete before sailing east again. Some of the tips I read earlier in this thread were beneficial as we island hopped. As we plan to visit Greece at least twice again in the next 2 summers, any tips are greatly appreciated. Prognostications on the economic and political situation in Greece are of no use; whatever happens will happen and cruisers comments won't affect those happenings. We will visit twice again unless Americans are barred from entering Greece for some unforeseeable reason.

Best tip I can provide is to buy a dozen or so of those .88Euro stamps when you can find them --the stamps that should be posted to your transit log . These were not available in Pythagoria on Samos or at Piraeus when we visited, yet in Piraeus the official wanted us to have the stamp. He waived the stamp since these were not available for purchase, but told us to buy several at our next stop. Tried to purchase the stamps at Nikolaou on Kea but the officials there had never heard of these stamps. Cruised through Greece for 86 days and never did find a place to purchase these stamps, and never encountered a problem with the officials for the lack of the stamps. Seemed as though as long as you cleared in at the various ports and had the transit log entries by the various port police, then the required stamp was ignored.

Our favorite anchorage thus far in Greece was Ormos Kolona at Kithnos, lat 37.40.1N long 024.19.3E because of the nice beaches and great shelter (avoid during westerlies). Favorite town quay was at Finikas on Syros. Lovely little town with very easy and frequent bus access to the main town. Car rentals available at reasonable price to allow visiting the old walled town up in the mountains. Next trip we hope to visit different islands.

One tip I will mention to anyone planning to visit Ios. If winds pick up any at all, the western outer quay becomes completely untenable. I would not leave my boat there for a ferry trip to Santorini unless positively certain that there would be no winds developing during my absence. We watched one boat after another depart off that wall and head out in 30-kt winds because they had no choice. Try to get in the inner harbor, where it gets very bouncy due to surge caused by arriving fast ferries; but is very protected from any wind.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Ormos colona on Kytnos is a very nice place indeed. But the anchor didn't hold well and was rather crowded (june 2006), and because of the western wind (even if it was blowing not too hard) we had to leave this spot in the middel of the night which was a little tricky. A good spot on this Island was the other side, where you can bath in the hot springs that run in the small harbour.
We were also in Syros in Ermoupouli. As the Meltemi was blowing and that we well well anchored, it was impossible to hold the boat (bav 44) next to the quay because of the swell in the harbour. (many boats were just sailing around in the harbour because of that) We finally decided to go to Tinos as it seemed better protected. Just in front of the very small harbour of Tinos, we had a peak wind of 56 knots, and couldn't see the entrance because of the wash. Finally we got in, and we were lucky, there was just one spot left for our boat and we remained there, well sheltered for 2 days.

Ios had a new long pier now in june this year. Plenty of room, but not easy to enter, because of the westernwind. Anchor far enough for a good holding and get good speed to enter...

Frederik
Frederik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:03   #149

Anybody have experience of anchoring overnight at Dilos/Delos? On GE it looks as if you could anchor and take a stern line ashore in the port area, but I can't find any info on depths (Navionics has the whole area at 10Mtrs and CM93V2 has zilch).

Appreciate any input you may have.

Cheers, PT.
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:06   #150

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

S/V BeBe[/QUOTE]

The problem in obtaining these tax stamps (size A8 sheet ) is that in the past the port police use to collect them but due to the austerity measures that the Greek gov introduce the tax office took this responsibility back to protect jobs .

to obtain these tax stamps you must visit a tax office between the hrs of 09.00 to 14.00 you need to take along your passport as well

judy i will bring you some in november
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece