Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:56   #1

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop
To Boot-Stripe , Or Not ???

Not being familiar with the med in terms of marine growth, was wondering if I should convert my high waterline bottom paint (60mm too high) to a broad shiny boot-stripe and put the bottom coat below. We will be underway almost constantly for the next 7 months and then plan to haulout end of season.

Also not sure what kinda paint to use on the boot-stripe ?

But not sure if the sea critters would just attack my bootstripe. Never had a boot stripe on any of my other boats , so not sure if this is feasible.

I am painting/splashing end next week.

Kris
Old 05-04-2013, 12:35   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: To Boot-Stripe , Or Not ???

Photo would help. I believe Interlux makes boot stripe pain in small cans. It may take several coats.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 17:06   #3

The boot stripe is a purely decorative addition. In some cases it is there to reduce the apparent height and bulk of the topsides. In others it may help a hide the waterline scum that a lazy yachtie allows to accumulate.

Does raise a good question: how far above the real resting loaded waterline should the antifoul paint be applied? I think only a centimeter or two. However many cruisers paint up to 20cm or more (seen a full foot). Expensive, ugly, and many paints suffer in the air. Scrubbing the scum removes the antifoul. And the lazy yachties simply get scum on the dry antifoul....

International/interlux Brightsides one-part PU works well. Many colors. Easy to make look good.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:05   #4

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

So how easy is it to wipe the bootstripe clean, if we go inland for 10 days and come back - will the bootstripe be in-delibly marked - as I said - never had one before. when I am removing the old crud from my hull, it appears there was a bootstripe , but they just painted over it 4 layers ago.

My boat has periods of empty , lying high, and then underway with full load sitting low in the water.

thanks for response's

Kris
Old 05-04-2013, 21:22   #5

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Bootstripe, yes.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:10   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Does raise a good question: how far above the real resting loaded waterline should the antifoul paint be applied? I think only a centimeter or two. However many cruisers paint up to 20cm or more (seen a full foot). Expensive, ugly, and many paints suffer in the air. Scrubbing the scum removes the antifoul. And the lazy yachties simply get scum on the dry antifoul....
Yikes, our antifouling is probably 6 inches at the bow and 4 inches amidships. We have to have this height to take into account the splash and wavelets in the harbour. This strip would quickly grow all sorts of nasties if we didn't. There is a boot topping which is actually tape above this. The antifoul paint is actually slightly higher on one side because the yacht leans at rest without anyone on board, but you pushed to notice it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Boot top always looks smart. On my boat it's in two stripes, the top black and below in white, before the red antifoul. The black is gel goat and I use Tri-lux for the white. It's a hard non-copper based paint, so it doesn't go green. Gets repainted every three years.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Made the mistake of getting one last paint job.. I think if you stay in a marina OK otherwise forget it. Already moved my waterline up 4" and the bootstrap above it is completely slime!!! Clean it once a month but its hard work FWIW I did it with awlcraft. Not blaming the paint just where I keep the boat on an open mooring.