Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2010, 10:50   #1

Transporting a Small Cruiser on a Cargo Ship

Hi,

We are trying to get a 28ft cruiser from the US to Croatia in Europe. The cruiser is too big to fit into a container, and there is no direct RoRo service between the US and the Adriatic sea. One option was to ship to an RoRo port in Europe (i.e. Germany, Italy, or Greece) and then use overland transport, however this option is very expensive.

One company offered us the option of shipping on a 40 foot open flat rack. Hence, as I understand the boat would travel on an open hull of a container boat. He said the boat would have to be lashed per IMO standards and the boat would have to be protected with a liner from the sea water, rain, i.e. all the conditions that it may encounter crossing the Ocean.

Does this seem like a safe way to transport the boat?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
pred02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 11:03   #2

If you can get it to Greece on RoRo, then why not just sail it the last bit to Croatia?
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 13:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post
Hi,

We are trying to get a 28ft cruiser from the US to Croatia in Europe. The cruiser is too big to fit into a container, and there is no direct RoRo service between the US and the Adriatic sea. One option was to ship to an RoRo port in Europe (i.e. Germany, Italy, or Greece) and then use overland transport, however this option is very expensive.

One company offered us the option of shipping on a 40 foot open flat rack. Hence, as I understand the boat would travel on an open hull of a container boat. He said the boat would have to be lashed per IMO standards and the boat would have to be protected with a liner from the sea water, rain, i.e. all the conditions that it may encounter crossing the Ocean.

Does this seem like a safe way to transport the boat?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
I purchased a new Jeanneau in 1996 that was shipped from (I assume) La Rochelle to Hamilton, Ontario via the deck of a container ship, snuggled up close to the deckhouse wrapped in a blanket of shrunk plastic. While there was a minor mark on the bootstrap the dealer fixed she was otherwise perfect.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 15:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
If it arrives in Europe is it not then classed as imported and liable to VAT at 20% the value, plus import duty 2% and the shipping costs? oh and don't forget the CE compliance. Whether it applies or not probably depends on the country you into to arrive at and their interpritation of the rules.

Looking at the prices of shipping from the Carib to Europe would it not be cheaper to sell and buy another over here which is already VAT paid and CE rated?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 04:51   #5

Quote:
If you can get it to Greece on RoRo, then why not just sail it the last bit to Croatia?
The problem is the boat has a trailer and it would be VERY difficult to get the trailer from Greece to Croatia (via Albania)

Quote:
Looking at the prices of shipping from the Carib to Europe would it not be cheaper to sell and buy another over here which is already VAT paid and CE rated?
We've been doing analysis on this, but we are not going to be importing the boat into Croatia will just moor it there under the US flag. As the boating season there is 6 months or less, and the dry marina's are set up as custom free zones, the legal requirements for Croatia are fine.
Old 31-10-2010, 05:13   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
40 foot open flat rack shipping should be fine. One of my prior boats was shipped that way from Denmark to the US in winter without any problems. It's a boat so it shouldn't need protection from rain or spray, so long as it is protected from solid water and shifting.

The biggest concerns are usually loading and unloading, and leaving it sitting in a shipyard before/after. Shipyards tend to be high crime areas, and all the movement of heavy cargo and trucks in a confined area can also be the source of accidental damage. Make sure it has good insurance coverage for the trip.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 05:31   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post
The problem is the boat has a trailer and it would be VERY difficult to get the trailer from Greece to Croatia (via Albania)

We've been doing analysis on this, but we are not going to be importing the boat into Croatia will just moor it there under the US flag. As the boating season there is 6 months or less, and the dry marina's are set up as custom free zones, the legal requirements for Croatia are fine.
If it lands in Greece on a ship they will want import duty. The Greek economy is in dire straights because they don't like paying taxes, infact its a national pastime avoiding it. So there is a big push to collect taxes

However, should a rich American turn up with a boat that is due an import duty then you would be an easy target. Remember you have to get it out of the docks and into the water, commission it and then sail it away.

We have discussed trailers on your previous thread. Flog it cheap in Greece as a yard trailer. I still think this is a lot of hassle. Are there any 110v mains on the boat, because Europe is 240v and the frequency is different too.

Yachtworld.com shows 24 pages of 28-40ft yachts between £15-0k in Croatia.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 06:07   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We shipped a 40 ft boat from NZ to San Francisco on a flat rack with no problems. The yard fabricated a cradle of sorts on the flat rack and then strapped the boat down. The shipping company promised to surround the boat with higher stacks of containers so that it would not see the weather directly. I agree that you will want to get insurance for the trip--a friend's boat was destroyed when the ship it was on hit some heavy weather and the waves lifted the boat off the cradle.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 18:42   #9

Quote:
If it lands in Greece on a ship they will want import duty. The Greek economy is in dire straights because they don't like paying taxes, infact its a national pastime avoiding it. So there is a big push to collect taxes
It for sure won't go via Greece nor Italy, I am originally from Serbia and know exactly what kind of mentality I would have to deal with over there. Land transport from Greece to Croatia would not be cheap, and sailing it with a stopover in Albania would be a bit shady.

The boat would go on a flat rack directly from New York to a port in Koper Slovenia. We would then either drop it in the water and drive it down the Adriatic, or would have it shipped to Rijeka where a ferry could take it to its final destination. If we decide o drive it down it would be about 250nm.

Quote:
Are there any 110v mains on the boat, because Europe is 240v and the frequency is different too.
Yes, the boat has a 120v AC and a 12v system. We are looking into getting a step-down transformer or finding a boat with a genset. Any advice as to installing marine step down (or isolation transformer on such a cruiser?)

Quote:
Yachtworld.com shows 24 pages of 28-40ft yachts between £15-0k in Croatia.
I understand there are plenty of boats in Croatia, however there are many reasons why we would buy in the US. First is the reason of convenience, as we live in the US and can spend all year looking for boats (versus 3 weeks in Croatia during our holiday). Secondly, the market for 24-26 cruisers in the US is large and can get a better deal on the same vintage boat. Thirdly, we are comfortable with purchasing a US boat as there are processes (i.e. marine survey, boat survey) that are pretty standardized (per convenience) .

I've counter 5 US registered boats in the local marina in Croatia this summer.

As far as the trailer regulation goes, I talked to the mechanic in our local marina in Croatia, he said it's a non-issue, he drives it 10km from the dry marina to the marina/slip twice a year, no one is going to stop him or pull him aside for that. We need a trailer as its easier/cheaper for him to tow and store the boat over the winter.

Note that on the Croatian taxes I walked in both the portmasters office and the tax office. The boat is US registered and does not need to be imported. I only need a vignette (100euro/season) and a list of passengers and only the legal owners can drive the boat. The harbormaster is a family friend.
Old 31-10-2010, 22:21   #10

Boat: Traditional 30
With all that cost and frustration, as someone else said, why not just buy another boat over there? I cant see it being a cheap exercise and it will take up so much time that it just may be more headaches than simply buying another boat.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:33   #11

Boat: s/v Gryphon d'Or - Morgan OI PH MS
pred02
Compare prices/destinations by Seven Star yacht transport - on-deck, water-to-water shipping, no extra costs for cradle. RoRo has height limit.
Can you get another trailer in Europe ?
Transformers: compare portable Taylor-transformers.co.uk vs. adding a 240v battery charger.
/ Dennis
Dennis G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:12   #12

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Contact Boatman61 on this site, he's familiar with the Med.
I'd suggest shipping to Gibraltar or Italy and getting it 'delivered' on from there. Are there any special problems in Albania?
It just sounds like a lot of effort when many boats already there are falling out of the holiday and charter operators by age or lack of customers.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Contact Boatman61 on this site, he's familiar with the Med.
I'd suggest shipping to Gibraltar or Italy and getting it 'delivered' on from there. Are there any special problems in Albania?
It just sounds like a lot of effort when many boats already there are falling out of the holiday and charter operators by age or lack of customers.
To be fair not sure if there is a direct problem with Albania or not, it's just not a region well know for cruising/sailing. Also need to consider the cost (in time and fuel) of driving the boat from Greece (it's a powered boat, with average consumption 30-40l/hour).

The problems around buying a boat in Croatia are several, most important being that we do not permanently reside there and have limited time to go boat shopping while there. The 2nd problem is with prices of US-style cruisers which are much higher. The 3rd problem is with customs and taxes, which are outrageous in Croatia (lots of boats are moored under a foreign flag).
Old 02-11-2010, 05:03   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
It can shipped on a flat rack or break bulk. Really you need to talk to a freight forwarder that ships to Croatia.

Note there no problem transhipping it through an EU country as long as it's done by a freight company and not by you.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Yes, the boat has a 120v AC and a 12v system. We are looking into getting a step-down transformer or finding a boat with a genset. Any advice as to installing marine step down (or isolation transformer on such a cruiser?)

I used one of these when I brought my Hunter 37 across in '05'.... its industrial with 110 and 240 outlets... so you've the best of both worlds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!B66HPd!!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!lsEy+jCvqsKBMyq1qKkf!~~_12.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	20738  

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote