Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2019, 17:00   #16

Re: Turkey or Greek Islands

Then there is the whole PORK thing to consider. After a couple of weeks I was REALLY missing bacon, ham or pork sausage for breakfast.

One morning in Sogut we awoke to the aroma of frying bacon...I was salivating like Pavlov's dog and followed my nose to to the offending boat. "Where did you get that BACON?". The sailor smiled and pointed towards Simi......"over there" he said.

Damn!

The other thing we weren't too crazy about after awhile was being awoken in the middle of the night with the call to prayer over the ubiquitous loud speakers.

Other than that, we really liked Turkey, esp. the people.
Old 21-01-2019, 00:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Having sailed quite a bit in the area, actually leaving in Marmaris and running a charter company, couple of toughts;
-It's possible to rent a boat in Greece or Turkey and visit the other part. You will have to make though entry/exit every time you change a country. This will cost app. 300-400 € if you do it through agents. Turkey apply visa for some countries and no visa for some other nationalities, eg. german, italian, french, russian passports are exempted from visa while US or Aussies will need a visa. This can be obtained on the internet, the visa fee depends again from one country to the other. (from 10 to 50 €)
-as a general rule, the more you are closer to Turkish cost the less will be the wind. If the meltemi gets nasty, there are much more and better shelters on Turkish coast compared to Greece.
-The best would be to go South from Kos visiting Nsiros, Simi, Rhodes then clear in Turkey and do the Turkish coasts back to Bodrum. You can clear out from Bodrum and head to Kos.
-Everyone has a different taste, you may like better Turkey or Greece. After all, you will see both of them and will have yr own opinion. Turkey is cheaper with the exception of alcholic bevarages which are very expensive compared to Greece. The food in Turkey IMO is much better and more diversified.
-generally speaking Turkish coasts would be less crowded but starting from last year (more this year as we look at the eaqrly bookings) Turkey became again popular. But June shoudln't be a problem as most turkish boats don't go out before July.

Good luck..

Cheers

Yeloya
If you plan to charter the boat from Greece, the best would be
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 00:37   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Then there is the whole PORK thing to consider. After a couple of weeks I was REALLY missing bacon, ham or pork sausage for breakfast.

One morning in Sogut we awoke to the aroma of frying bacon...I was salivating like Pavlov's dog and followed my nose to to the offending boat. "Where did you get that BACON?". The sailor smiled and pointed towards Simi......"over there" he said.

Damn!

The other thing we weren't too crazy about after awhile was being awoken in the middle of the night with the call to prayer over the ubiquitous loud speakers.

Other than that, we really liked Turkey, esp. the people.

Pork - well you can get it at a few places if you know where to look. We wintered there 3 times and never ran out of pork. But it did take a bit of looking. We also stocked up on canned pork as we knew the farther east we got we would never find it. OH - don't try to take a ferry to a Greek isand and stock up. it will probably be taken at customs when you return.

One of the things we practice is early in early out. The call to prayer, if it does wake us and we got use to sleeping thru it, was a sign to get up and get ready to get underway.

Yea the people along the east coast of Turkey are great.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 04:07   #19

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Pork - OH - don't try to take a ferry to a Greek isand and stock up. it will probably be taken at customs when you return.
Nope. You can bring pork into the country, did it all the time. It's not illegal, it's just because it's a muslim country, nobody eats it. However more and more supermarkets carry it, especially those in/near marinas, it will cost you though..

As a tip, I tend to stock up on different kinds of salamies, they don't spoil quickly and are very versatile. And you don't have to keep them in the fridge
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 17:49   #20

Boat: Townson Talent MkII 36

Ok heres my next query for all you experts. I have been advised that rather than go through the whole beuracratic process of obtaining official person and yacht approval to transit Greece to turkey, we will likely get away with doing the transit and simply ensuring that we fly the correct flag ie Turkish flag when entering Turkey and viceversa.

part of the reasoning for this excellent idea is that if caught without formal papers we would simply be sent back to Greece. well, that aint to tough.

This advisor also said that the requirement for formal customs approval falls on people with there own boats rather than charterers.

Can any of you give me your thoughts on the above.
kitrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 21:19   #21

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitrob View Post
Ok heres my next query for all you experts. I have been advised that rather than go through the whole beuracratic process of obtaining official person and yacht approval to transit Greece to turkey, we will likely get away with doing the transit and simply ensuring that we fly the correct flag ie Turkish flag when entering Turkey and viceversa.

part of the reasoning for this excellent idea is that if caught without formal papers we would simply be sent back to Greece. well, that aint to tough.

This advisor also said that the requirement for formal customs approval falls on people with there own boats rather than charterers.

I do not undertand the question. As this is a Greek charter yacht, the papers for Greece should be in order already, meaning the yacht should have a DEKPA.

Turkey does not require outward clearance from Greece, if that was your question. If you do like this, you can get away without obtaining a new DEKPA when entering Greece again. But be advised, you break Greek law. Chances of getting caught: small. Fines: large, I guess.

For obtaining a new DEKPA, Greece requires outward clearance from Turkey.

To be honest, both procedures are easy, so why not do them.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 21:57   #22

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

There is some rumour that greek authorities now want to see a proof of competence (f.e. ICC) even if you fly the flag of another country (and comply with the rules of the flag state). Anything like this in Turkey ?

Regards,

-Richard
Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 04:02   #23

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Some great information here. Thanks for the question, and thanks for the answers. We now know we will continue to head towards Turkey.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 04:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitrob View Post

Going to Turkey and not clearing in and having visas is a very stupid thing to do. If you get caught, the fines will be huge, you and your crew will be expelled and the boat impounded. BTW you will need to show your boat papers, including the transit log in every marina you visit.

Normally your charter company has an agreement with agents to facilitate the process. Normally it's a very smooth and easy process. If you can afford to charter a boat during the summer for 2 weeks you can definitely afford the check-in fees.....
Old 22-01-2019, 04:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
There is some rumour that greek authorities now want to see a proof of competence (f.e. ICC) even if you fly the flag of another country (and comply with the rules of the flag state). Anything like this in Turkey ?

Regards,

-Richard
In Greece this will happen when you apply for your DEKPA. However it depends on the Port Police officer you're dealing with. I don't have an ICC, and don't need one according to Dutch laws (i'm Dutch and boat is Dutch flagged). In Leros the officer confirmed that. However I've heard different stories from people in the Ionian.

In Turkey it depends on the region. In the south (Kas and further south) they don't ask, I've understood that they do ask it in the Goceck to Bodrum area.
Old 22-01-2019, 04:42   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
In Turkey it depends on the region. In the south (Kas and further south) they don't ask, I've understood that they do ask it in the Goceck to Bodrum area.
I was never asked for any licence while checking in Greece even with commercially registered boats. But if this has changed very recently, I don't know.
In Turkey, coast guard will never ask for a proof of competence anywhere, never ever heard that..
If you are involved in a serious accident and coast guard intervenes, maybe..Even in that case, the general rule in Turkey (also valid for chartering a bareboat), if you are on yr boat and for non commercial activities, any licence valid in yr country of origin is also valid in Turkey. You don't need to have ICC, IYT, etc..
Some countries like France are not requesting any licence for pleasure crafts, so does Turkey if you are french..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 15:35   #27

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

Been there and have done that. Assuming you are picking up the boat in Kos Greece then personally I would sail northwest to Leros then up to Lipsi and Patmos. Because you are going in June, I would not worry about to many boats, and because you are going for such as short amount of time, I would forget Turkey. Plenty of great spots going northwest to anchor, eat, shop, swim, and visit. You will find the people very nice and helpful. We really liked Lakki on Leros where you can anchor safely. From there you can walk, rent a scooter or car and visit the entire island. Have a great vacation.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:09   #28

Well I loved Turkey, the people and the water We bought our Hanse 445 there in September in Gocek, we had no problems with the people, the nicest people we have ever met and we now call many life long friends. Although we didn't sail much of turkey we went out on friends boats near Gocek and the waters were perfect. We then sailed to Rhodes, Simi, Kos, Astypalea, Anafi, Santorini, Ios, Milos, Kimolos and Kithnos in Greece after wintering in Kos. We have videoed our experience and show different anchorages along the way if that helps. I think the waters off Turkey would be calmer, but it's a bit of luck with the weather. I will post our Milos video below and if you do decide on Greece there is info on some protected anchorages in Simi, Astypalea ect.

Have fun and good luck

chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chook View Post
I think the waters off Turkey would be calmer, but it's a bit of luck with the weather.
In general there is less wind along the Turkish coast compared to the Dodecanese and the North Aegean islands (Samos, Chios, Lesbos). Although the Meltemi also blows along the Turkish coast, it's less fierce.

If you are in the area, you should visit Turkey. it has beautiful anchorages, it's much greener than the Greek islands, has amazing historical sites, lovely people and great food. oh and with the current exchange rate, diesel and groceries (except beer/wine) is very cheap compared to Greece.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:32   #30

Turkish people are great, friendly and welcoming always...
...almost always, not when you are sailing a Greek Flag boat!
And viceversa.
If you want to sail Turkey do it with any other Flag than Greek,
and viceversa.
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greek islands, Turkey