Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2015, 20:38   #1

Boat: Hanse 575
Send a message via MSN to Awatea Send a message via Skype™ to Awatea
Thumbs up Turkey to Sicily. End of April.

My thoughts are to leave Kusadasi end of April and head directly to Sicily. I would like to be there mid May, going via southern Greece. Has anyone done this trip at this time? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Cheers
John
Awatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 16:22   #2

Boat: between boats
Re: Turkey to Sicily. End of April.

We went the other way mid april last year. There was snow on the hills and I was forced to wear thermals and all wet weather gear i owned for days on end. Few days later and we were in shorts. Locals said it was unseasonal so I guess be prepared for anything that time of year but you probably know that.

We wanted to go via peloponnese but ended up transiting the canal as we had over a week of unfavourable winds round the bottom but tail winds through the gulf.

The big plus of the trip is you will be in Greece for easter - not to be missed.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 01:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

go via the Corinth canal,a bit expensive but it will save lots of bashing,take some warm clothes as well
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 01:29   #4

We made the exact trip you are planing and we also left from Kusadası. PM us and I'll give you the route we took.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 01:32   #5

Hey John I didn't look at the boat name, lol. Now I'm wondering what's up?? Robert
Old 22-01-2015, 02:30   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Definately take the channel.. After the channel, most likely you will have north westerlies and sometimes they can be very strong. Another advantage of the channel is that you will be more at north and as you point Sicily you will have more favorable AWA to sail.
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 04:18   #7

I can't remember if you have gone thru the canal John? It does cost a couple of hundred dollars and it is easier than the southern route but it sure is not as wild and as beautiful as the Peloponnese. We did both and we really loved the southern part of Greece. Yes the winds are stronger in the southern route but we found the northern route to require a lot of motoring which is our least favourite way of getting around plus there will be plenty of that later. We did have to hang out here and there waiting for favourable winds and a couple of times we sailed overnight but it was worth it. If the goal is to just get there then the northern route makes sense but if you want to see and do some cool stuff I would recommend the southern route. We left in April as well. Cheers, R

Tags
Sicily, Turkey