Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 16:57   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Two weeks in Turkey

We will be sailing in the Aegean next year and will have two weeks to explore Turkeys coast. I realize this isn't enough time to do it justice but it's all we can do. We will be coming from around Patmos and will leave toward Rhodes.

Can someone recommend a must see route for this time frame? I'm thinking we should start at Bodrum and end at Gocek. I prefer areas with more trees on the shore and tall mountains.

For day trips we are thinking Ephesus, the Lycian tombs, and Pamukkale.

Old 26-09-2013, 13:36   #2

Boat: beneteau, first 375,1988
Re: Two weeks in Turkey

Your course seems green and blue, tree and sea. Bodrum to Göcek coasts are most touristic placases in Turkey. Each restourants your language probably are spoken. You may find averything you need for your boat in Marmaris. Bays like handmade laces. Every corner you should find diffrent adventures. Is that enaugh for you? Don't you want some different and meet Turkish people?

You know the books about" 1000 thing before dead" I want you to do something. But I have to learn about your opinions.
salpa1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 13:59   #3

Hello Salpa and thanks for the response. I love off the beaten path but don't have enough time to beat a totally new one. There will be 9 of us on the boat and some are children. 5 of them have not cruised on a boat before and are looking forward to exploring the land and the sea. So, please fill me in on what your thinking. Cappadocia?
Old 26-09-2013, 14:46   #4

Cappadocia is a little far to the southwest coasts. It is about 800 km Mugla to Nevşehir and need high driver performance It seems by flying about 3 and half hours. Dalaman-İstanbul-Nevşehir. Cappadocia is story place you should see.
My advise is berthing Palarran in Marmaris and flying to İstanbul for three days. First day, whole day, is for Topkapi Palace. Second is Bosphorus Trip and third is flying back to Marmaris. You need one night for your young crew in Marmaris Night Life. Then you should go sailing.
In summer there are local festivals and local festivals are less touristic.For example, the wedding ceromonies in villages, are fantastic.
I will have advise about sailing routes, bays and marinas after your dates appear.
Old 26-09-2013, 15:36   #5

I know Cappadocia is very far. I was searching for your "1000 places"

My sister and her family who are joining us will be going to Istanbul before they meet up with us, and my family as toured there several years (off a cruise ship )

We are set now to arrive in Turkey around June 18th and leaving June 30th. So actually less than two weeks.

If you have time to suggest some villages to visit or special things to experience it will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 27-09-2013, 16:30   #6

Ok, I have to study my homework I have time also.
I found you a horse safari )
Marmaris Daily Tours Marmaris Excursions Marmaris Travel
Old 29-09-2013, 04:07   #7

Check Advce on Bodrum, Turkey to Ephesus thread here (sorry, don't know how to link from iPad). In the last post vRun lists a good set of destinations.

Gokova bay is very pretty covered with pines with a picturesque village at the end, where your guests can spend time on a sandy beach or wind surf. Also known to be a quintessential Turkish village. It'll be a slug to get back out, so go in the morning.

Knidos is where you anchor in an ancient man-made harbour surrounded by mountains covered in ruins of ancient Knidos. Excellent fish restaurant, gorgeous ruins hike and snorkel. Don't go hiking after 10 or before 4 - too hot. This harbour doesn't have many trees holding is so-so to poor, so watch who anchors on top of you.

Next sail to Orhanyie (Marti marina), it's a very pretty motor sail through pine covered islands with ruins of castles and monasteries. At the end anchor across from Marti marina and hike the rabbit island fortress in time for sunset.

On the way to Marmaris stop in Bozburun or Buzukale or the next bay (forgot the name) - all very Turkish.

We like the portion of Marmaris bay from the entrance to Yat Marin to Albatross marina. You can hike the national park to old church ruins and a big cave to the west of Yat Marin. Also fun browsing through shops of Netsel marina - a modern development with a Turkish twist.

Then go to Dalyan, but, since you're a cat, anchor at the river estuary or med moor to the small island instead of anchoring at the designated anchorage and hiring a tourist boat. Then take your dinghy into the river yourself. Suggest to take an iPad with a sat pic of the river delta so you know which canal to take. Or follow a tourist boat. After taking pics at the tombs, you can go up the river to mud baths.

If you want another stop, stop at Sarigetme near the island. Very pretty hike up to an unknown tower and gorgeous sunsets.

Gocek will be fun to relax in.

In Fethyie, Oludeniz you can try paragliding - it's one of top paragliding destinations in the world. Absolutely gorgeous view from up top. The scariest part is the drive up the mountain. Anchorages to the east are all very pretty with pines and ruins and wild bunnies. The best part is that during the season small boats with ladies making gozleme on the spot go around the anchorages. Best breakfast ever
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 04:30   #8

Regarding day trips:

Cappadoccia imho would be the top one. We drove from Bodrum to Cappadoccia and Mt Nemrut - 10 days leisurely drive with other stops. BUT when taking with our hotel, they said that they frequently arrange transport going from Fethyie - about 7-10 hours one way.

If you book rooms directly with the hotel, they can book the transport and you'll pay less. If you also book a balloon ride directly with the hotel, they'll give you a discount on that too. Imho a balloon ride is a must - a once in a lifetime experience. Yes, it's expensive, but it's out of this world. We stayed a Dervish Cave hotel and the manager is a balloon pilot.

Two days is enough time in Cappadoccia.

If I had only two weeks, I would still not miss Cappadoccia, but be ready to spend money to see it. Must sees when sailing would be Gokova, Knidos, Orhanyie for the sail up there, Dalyan, and Oludeniz for parasailing. You could get all of that done in two weeks. If your bunch is an adventurous type who doesn't mind a lot crammed in, also get a private day tour to Pamukkale from Bodrum. You have enough people to take a minibus by yourselves.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 00:31   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
We will be sailing in the Aegean next year and will have two weeks to explore Turkeys coast. I realize this isn't enough time to do it justice but it's all we can do. We will be coming from around Patmos and will leave toward Rhodes.

Can someone recommend a must see route for this time frame? I'm thinking we should start at Bodrum and end at Gocek. I prefer areas with more trees on the shore and tall mountains.

For day trips we are thinking Ephesus, the Lycian tombs, and Pamukkale.

So much depends on your own tastes!
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 14:54   #10

Katiusha, That was some great information. Thank you very much for taking the time to share all that. I'll start plotting your suggestions on Google Earth. A few years ago someone told me about the paragliding. I did it once off Mount Haleakalā in Hawaii.

Jim, I've used your site many times. Thank you for providing it.

Tags
Turkey