Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 12:15   #16

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: West Scotland & Outer Hebrides

@ SteveT

The Crinan canal is on my list of first exploits. Of course I have to see during the trip how the weather develops. I am alone and cannot take that much beating anymore as I used to. Furthermore, I would like to film and to photographe to keep my memory vivid.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:05   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=MacG;840825]LOL @ Pete: In Holland, don't pass the red buoy on the starboard side!

@ Nicholson : If the petty cash on board allows it, I will join the Malts tour. Would be nice but is a matter of cash available. I am still upgrading my boat and that cost already plenty.

Fees cover marina fees and some parties. I suppose you could just buy the scotch and drink alone.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:38   #18

@ Nicholson

Fees are about 500 GBP altogether. I hardly drink any strong liquor, but if I can manage, I will join. Must be a nice gathering so many boats and people.
Old 18-12-2011, 15:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

caledonian canal fees are about £ 180,marinas@£20/night and single malt for a 10yo@£45,if that includes the transit and marinas for the rally,not such a bad deal.............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:50   #20

The 180 GBP for the transfer of the Cal. channel is new as well as a surprise.

Strange if you compare that with France that charges half for a whole year of traversing the country with it' s 100's of locks. And Holland, where you pay a modest fee of a few Euro' s to pass the main townships.

But everything comes with a prize so I might join the Malt' s tour anyway. Not so much to save cash, but also for the company.

Can you give me an advise what type of anchor is best on the rocky bottom?
The present anchor I have is good but I will anyway buy two more. I thought a Kobra and a Fortress ......
Old 18-12-2011, 16:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

uk is very expensive these days.
we use bugle anchors with good results,but any anchor is only as good as how you set it and how much scope you use.
check current web sites for current prices as like taxes they never go down!!!!!!!
Old 18-12-2011, 17:11   #22

I pay for a 20 kgs Bruce around Euro 200,-- (Stainless and polished, not really necessary
about 100-150 Euro for a galvanised one (which is good enough. A Fortress will set me back about 100-150 as well.
Bought last week an almost new Icom handunit VHF (the most popular M1Eurov) for 75 Euro, a brand new Zodiac Cadett plus 3,3 Hp Merc for 750,-- Euro.
A brand new Taylor-Blake stainles steel heater plus all connections and chimney for 500 Euro.
Very often people are buying stuff without asking themselves if they really need it.

Electronic Nav Instruments are not so cheap here. Unless you buy the Nasa stuff of which I am quite uncertain about quality.
Old 18-12-2011, 17:47   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

sounds like you spent your money wisely,have used the nasa gear but with mixed results,would not buy the wind speed intrsruments though the dept sounder works okay but speedlog not so good but more due to fouling
Old 18-12-2011, 18:02   #24

I really ask myself do I need it, although a windset at night is quite handy. On my previous boat I had a complete B&G set - times were definitely different then.
So I will wait till someone has a good set to offer. A depth sounder I do have already, not a log and not the windset. So those are still on the list. Now I need to install what I have bought. The heater is obligatory, without, liveaboard is virtually impossible.
Old 18-12-2011, 18:15   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

with depth sounder and gps this is all you need,when the wind sings in the rigging you have 40 knots...easys,screams its 50...........
Old 18-12-2011, 19:19   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I recommend AIS if you can find a way to fit it into your budget. We added the Watchmate 850 last year. Class B send/receive. It only consumes only 3 watts and also runs an anchor watch. Its dirt simple to operate and warns us of crossing situations and proximity of all transponders within 20 miles as well as useful information about the other vessel. I turn it on before anything else. It operates stand alone or networked.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 19:34   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I recommend AIS if you can find a way to fit it into your budget. We added the Watchmate 850 last year. Class B send/receive. It only consumes only 3 watts and also runs an anchor watch. Its dirt simple to operate and warns us of crossing situations and proximity of all transponders within 20 miles as well as useful information about the other vessel. I turn it on before anything else. It operates stand alone or networked.
ditto on the watch mate ais,a bit hard to read as a very smallscreen and allways heads up but once you get used to it wort its weight in gold..... or hard steelmoving at 22 knots..............
Old 18-12-2011, 20:17   #28

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42

I am assuming that some of the Scots CF members located in the islands will update you with current knowledge ( I am over thirty years out of date). If not then I shall do my best to help, however a number of simple ideas. You enter Loch Ness from the Moray Firth, which is dotted with fishing harbours. I would suggest that you aim for Lossiemouth. (You need to check online current requirements of the UK Borders regs). Nearby is the small city of Elgin. (the north east point of the Spey whisky trail). More importantly it has (like most places in Scotland) a library. Each one will have charts, tide, pilot books etc., as well of course detailed local history. You will have to pay a small fee but they will make a copy of anything you need.

Loch Ness is nice, but as you pass into Loch Lochy and especially Loch Linnie (Have a look at Loch Eil too. Glenfinnan at the top has ancient historical importance as well as being where Harry Potter’s school/lake was shot. You must give great respect to tides…they can run up to 7knots, however choose you time and sail north pass Mull and aim for Skye through the Sound of Sleat to LochAlsh. Note if you wonder whether it is worth it, you can take a train from Inverness to Lochalsh and you will pass some of the most beautiful scenary know to man. From Loch Alsh/Druich etc sail west to Skye and east up to Ullapool. You will see 50km beaches and Palm trees(No they are not plastic). Look in to Loch Nevis and Huron. The inner Hebrides are beautiful I envy you the fact that you will see if all for the first time…I wish I could be with you to see your reaction.

Final tip. Check on line Sailing clubs west of Scotland (not marinas) there are many often with clubhouse in small huts or meeting at the local pubs. Make contact with then. You will find them very helpful and hospitable.

Best Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 00:29   #29

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
@ SteveT

The Crinan canal is on my list of first exploits. Of course I have to see during the trip how the weather develops. I am alone and cannot take that much beating anymore as I used to. Furthermore, I would like to film and to photographe to keep my memory vivid.
The Crinan on your own would be really hard as the locks are all manual apart from the two sea locks. When I say manual I mean the boats' crews do ALL the work and they are damned hard.My wife and I did it alone and managed but it was a killer. You can get local assistance for a price or try and go through with a couple of other boats if you can fit in the locks. It will still be hard work and it also costs - about GBP 100 if I remember rightly.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 01:44   #30
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
caledonian canal fees are about £ 180,.
The 2011 price list and "conditions":
http://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/medi...20licences.pdf

bcn
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote