Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2008, 14:00   #31

Boat: Looking with intent
Okay,

Don't know Sibari as it was not in the area that my wife and I lived in down there. On the other hand there is NO way I would winter North of Brindisi as even there the weather can get a bit nippy during the winter months. We lived in Giovinazzo (Near Bari on the Adriatic) for over a year and you do not want to be in a boat (even in harbour) when a serious sea storm rolls in. There is also Taranto, Gallipolli, Porto Cesareo, Santa Maria Di Leuca, and then there is the Adriatic side.

For Shopping Eurospin, Lidl, Gulliper and local markets help alot. Quarta is a good coffee as well Battista, Kimbo, and a few others. Stay away from Illy or Lavarza as they are for soft water and the water there is not soft. You can fill your water jugs from the Aqueduct for free were you see the fountains (bring your own bottles). Stores to stay away from are Auchan, HyperCOOP, they may be convenient, but you pay for it.

If a group is going to be together would suggest anyone who has had insurance in Italy (car insurance in Italy is a racket, a bad one at that) to pool funds and buy a used car from a good dealer and use that for the winter as a group. There is tons of stuff to see and do there and if you are wise with your budget and eat the seasons you can get by on a small amount (My Wife, young son, and I lived on food wise about 50 to 60 Euro/week) and that was eating out nice twice a week (on the other hand I am a Doctor so get certain discounts that I don't ask for).

If you get to Italy in the Summer try a caffè con ghiaccio it is excellent and the variation with Lattè di Mandorle (sweetened white Almond milk) is very, very good.

If you need help or want other information or contacts down there, let me know and will gladly help out.
Chiroeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 07:40   #32

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi Chiroeurope,

Thanks for the information and good ideas. We are looking forward to our time in Italy. I will follow up with some additional questions and suggestions.

Jim
Old 31-03-2008, 04:59   #33

There is also two marina's in Taranto which is directly part of a major regional city (A major as they get in the South outside of Napoli). This is just another option and it is in the same area (Ionic) as Sibari. It also has the advantage of being attached to the town/city. Just another option.

One of them has 160 posts with max of 25m on boat length and the other has over 300 post for boats so. the options are up to you. Both have cranes and full services and markets directly attached if you don't want to walk into town (they will take you to a bus station if you want). Both also have security.

So the choices are up to you.

Michael.
Old 08-04-2008, 13:20   #34

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Has anybody on this forum wintered on or been in autumn / winter to the Italian island of Lampedusa? Being so far south the temperatues should be agreeable.

Roger
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
Has anybody on this forum wintered on or been in autumn / winter to the Italian island of Lampedusa? Being so far south the temperatues should be agreeable.

Roger
Lampedusa is restricted in places to harbor and is also the major port for the military when dealing with illegal immigration attempts across the Med' (it is where they are processed and sent back). The Weather there is milder than further North but the Sirraco winds will be a bit heavier with sand when they come (Yes i said when, not if).
Old 12-05-2008, 22:08   #36

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Jim,
We found Turkey good value a year back - and both Marmaris and Kemer have exceptional expat communities which make a stay more enjoyable and when away, helps bolster security.
For example, Kemer had its clubhouse for expats, huge library, movie nights each week, tennis, Turkish, French language classes, tennis lessons, keep fit classes most mornings, opera and theatre visits on a Friday night, and walking trips out up country usually for a Sunday lunch.
The marina bar even presents you a candle lit cake on your birthday!
Add in simple stuff like clean waters to swin in, good shower facilities and free wi-fi - and you'll see why they end up with such large winter communities.
JOHN
Old 13-05-2008, 03:02   #37

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi John,

Thanks for the info, sounds ideal... we went ahead and put a deposit for Kemer, but will probably move it to the following winter (2009/10) so that we can also go on the EMYR (next year is only for those who have already done it.).

Jim
Old 16-05-2008, 09:34   #38

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Jim,
If you do wish to go on EMYR next year suggest you simply persist. They are a lovely group of organisers and totally corruptable with a few gin and tonics. Keep asking if you want to go, and I'm sure you'll get in.
Good luck.
JHN
Old 18-07-2008, 09:40   #39

we spent three weeks 2005 in vallatta - grand harbor marina was ok, it had just opened and services were mediocre - we cruised to Siracusa and across the boot of Italy, marinas are so so to bad, things may have improved since then - we crossed from Brindisi to Dubrovnik and cruised north to opatija - we are currently in punat (krk) - very expensive (and we have euro income), but beautiful - services are mediocre to bad...
tenacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 09:51   #40

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
No Votes for Ostia Marina?

Given your current location, I was surprised that nobody's suggected Ostia Marina on Italy's west coast - it's reasonably priced during the winter generally attracts a decent sized community of overwintering yachties and is very handy for the sights and services of Rome.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 09:18   #41

Hello guys!
I'm in search of a '09 wintering spot, too (alone in a 36ft sloop, now in Fiumicino). Your notes are really helpful; I've also read your website, too and know some of you have already written about Sardinia. None of you is planning to go there this winter? Some advice?
I wish I could go to Turkey, too, but I'm confined to Cagliari/Alghero/Trapani/Malta 'cause of Ryanair (from my office where some times I have to go back), so I'm planning to go to Sardinia (since I would somehow prefer it to Trapani and Malta).
My needs are: quiet & cheap liveaboard wintering spot with internet (wifi or at least a high speed mobile conn.), so can you suggest me some good spot around Cagliari or Alghero?

Ciao!
thank you once more for your posts,
Fra.
oriettaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 14:47   #42

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We enjoyed wintering at Vibo Marina, and Ryanair flies to Lametzia.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 15:09   #43

porto conte?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
We enjoyed wintering at Vibo Marina, and Ryanair flies to Lamezia.
Thank you Don, I was thinking about it after reading your posts, but I live very close to Treviso-Venice ryanair, and kind of *must* start from there.

I know some of you have been at Porto Conte, by Alghero. How do you see it as a wintering spot?

Ciao,
thank you once more for your help
Old 27-03-2009, 05:18   #44

Ostia

Quote:
Originally Posted by monika2610 View Post
Very good posts, I must read them carefully

Can anybody give some links on net about Ostia Marina? if links existed
There are many marinas in Ostia, none is called "Ostia Marina" as far as I know.

The closest marina to Ostia (town) is:

+39 06 56188506
Redirect...
E-mail: direzione.porto@portodiroma.com

Pagine Azzurre Online - Ostia - Porto Turistico Di Roma, Marina, Lazio

Ciao,
Fra
Old 31-08-2012, 23:49   #45

Re: Winter in Italy, Malta, Tunisia . . . ?

Cantiere naval luigi Balsamo
Naval Balsamo
Brindisi. Italy

We were lucky to find this small marina, at the end of Brindisi harbour. Friendly staff. Well managed.
The prices are more competitive than Marina di Brindisi quiet empty at this time of the year. August 2012. You can walk to the city center or to the nearby supermarket. The bus stop some meters of the door and can take you to the airport. Only for 1 euro all the way down. This Marina pontoons are new with water and electricity included *and they can make most of the normal repair *you need.
RAMSES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Malta, Tunisia, Italy