Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 14:19   #1

Wintering in Brest.

Hello.
I desperately need information about wintering in Brest. We sailed our boat from Norway to france this summer, and now the boat is moored in Cherbourg. The first week of October we are sailing further down the French coast and the target is Brest where we intend to leave the boat until spring. I have tried to find info about harbours and prices online, but everything is in French. Any help on this matter and other tips on sailing this water would be most appreciated.
Ada
AdaLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:32   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaLouise View Post
Hello.
I desperately need information about wintering in Brest. We sailed our boat from Norway to france this summer, and now the boat is moored in Cherbourg. The first week of October we are sailing further down the French coast and the target is Brest where we intend to leave the boat until spring. I have tried to find info about harbours and prices online, but everything is in French. Any help on this matter and other tips on sailing this water would be most appreciated.
Ada
You need to ring the marina ( marina du moulin blanc) they will not reply in written form English, but they do have English speakers in the office ( well they had) , there also a new marina on the old naval area too I beleive.

Ring , open the conversation with bonjour and go from there.

Dave
Old 16-09-2013, 03:38   #3

Re: Wintering in Brest.

Hi Ada,

I would rather advise to check Morlaix for wintering.
It´s protected to west by some hills. Had a delivery some years ago and found it
pretty nice. Only few minutes footwalk to the ancient town.
Introduction to the Port of Morlaix - Plaisance Baie de Morlaix

If you´re around the cape you can go up river Aulne to Port-Launay, a tiny port.
A friend stay there on his boat since years. For info in english call the old salthouse, a well known guesthouse. Welcome

regards Tellus
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 12:25   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Welcome to CruisersForum, AdaLouise.
As goboatingnow wrote, there are now 2 marinas in Brest: the old one (Moulin Blanc, to the east of the merchant port) and the new one (Marina du Château, very close to the naval base). In fact, to enter Marina du Château, you have to go through the naval base entrance and go north (DON'T turn to port!). Both marinas are operated by the same company.
Marina du Château: +33 2 98 33 12 50 - chateau@marinasbrest.fr
Marina du Moulin Blanc: +33 2 98 02 20 02 - moulinblanc@marinasbrest.fr

The company website isn't really running presently, so you will have to write to get more details.

When I stop in Brest in summer, I prefer going in Marina du Château because it's much closer to the city center. From there, you can take a streetcar or city buses. In Moulin Blanc, you have to walk a lot or take a bus to go anywhere: the nearest food shop (a supermarket) is 1km away.

For wintering, I would prefer Brest over Morlaix, because it's a bigger town, there is a busy airport (flights to London, Birmingham and Southampton) and I suspect there are more resources for taking care of a yacht (boatyards, yachtchandlers, etc.). Yes, I'm partial: I was born in Brest.

Or you could come to South Brittany, where the climate is milder...

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 07:32   #5

Boat: Westerly Chieftain 8m
Hi there
if u get yourself a copy of bloc marine (It's a French marine book like the reeds book at half the price and with far more information in it. And it has English and French in it.)
it will give u all the Information u need cost phone numbers every thing u need or want to know. About all the marinas.
Available in all good Chandlers in France for approximately
25€ and fall of loads of interesting stuff.
Westerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 01:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Another alternative is up the L'Aulne River at Port Launay/Chateaulin. Fair number of liveaboards avoiding ex-wives or creditors!
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 02:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
Another alternative is up the L'Aulne River at Port Launay/Chateaulin. Fair number of liveaboards avoiding ex-wives or creditors!
Is it so? never heard, but good to know.

Thx Tellus
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote