Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2013, 03:54   #1

Wintering in South Coast of Spain

hello,
i am looking for a place in south of spain to spend the winter. I have a limited budget so looking for a reasonable priced marina to stay from end of october to end of middle or end of april.

my boat's lenght is 9.4 metre, and width is 2.65meter.

any advice and information about price (please tell me the price becuse ' cheap' is a relative thing it can be cheap for you but can be expensive for me) will be appreciated.

Regards
Ulas
S/Y Tetranora
urisvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 04:15   #2

Boat: Little Harbor 46
Re: wintering in south coast of spain

Try Almerimar marina, details can be found on the web!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 04:16   #3
cruiser

I just finished checking all of them in person. Almerimar is the cheapest by quite a bit. I've heard there's a good cruising community, it's safe and secure and quite nice. I was just in the port a few days ago. Garrucha was also a nice inexpensive surprise, and some friends enjoyed Cartegena last season. For Garrucha, you'll need to speak some Spanish for rate information.

You'll need to do your own homework regarding a price; the port office personnel speak English and Spanish. tel 0034 950 607755 / 34 950 497350 www.alerimarpuerto.com
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 05:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

on the atlantic side of the gib straights is the river guardiana,not far from cadiz.
you can anchor,or pick up a mooring in the river...free!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 05:17   #5
cruiser

I was in Gibraltar last week, Spain and the UK are at it again with the fighting and posturing over Gibraltar. Some folks with English flagged vessels are having a difficult time anchoring on the Spanish side anywhere near Gibraltar, retaliation for Spanish vessels being hassled by Gibraltar. You might want to check on noonsite for details.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 05:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I was in Gibraltar last week, Spain and the UK are at it again with the fighting and posturing over Gibraltar. Some folks with English flagged vessels are having a difficult time anchoring on the Spanish side anywhere near Gibraltar, retaliation for Spanish vessels being hassled by Gibraltar. You might want to check on noonsite for details.
just anchor on the left hand side! it is portugal!

Guadiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the most part, the Guadiana is navigable until Mértola (a distance of 68 km). There are over thirty dams on the river basin,[5] the largest of which is the Alqueva Dam, near Moura, in the Beja District, responsible for the largest reservoir in Western Europe (there are several larger ones in Russia and the Ukraine). The Alqueva reservoir, occupies an area of 250 km², with a capacity for 4150 hm³.
Old 30-08-2013, 06:01   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

atoll Gib hes talking about not Guadiana

PS where the free mooring buoys on the Guadina, I never saw any??

Dave
Old 30-08-2013, 06:11   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

We wintered in Gelves, some 10km from Sevilla. Not dirt cheap, but still very inexpensive compared with most other options in S Spain.

Beware - it was very cold there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 06:25   #9

Boat: Bavaria 37

You might want to explore Ayamonte on the border of Portugal. Nice little town,
dugonggary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:18   #10

hello

thank you for replies. i asked price from Almerimar, i am waiting a reply. i will let you know. i sent some masseges to some marinas and since now only one answer came from 'puorte Sotogrande'. and it is 1360 for my small boat from november to april. it is a little bit expensive for me. up to 1000 euro would be fine...is it possible?

thanks for telling the Guadina river option. but spending the winter at anchor can be difficult. what about the tempretures in winter over there? is the the atlantic side colder or warmer comparing to Med coast?

There are also some other channels before Guadina river... isnt it possible to stay there? it seems that at the entrences of the canals and near the marina walls there are possible anchor places...

Barnaklel, you told that you stayed in Gelves... why it is that cold there? it is pretty south...you went there by the canal isnt it it? what was the price for you?

Regards
Ulas,
S/Y Tetranora
Old 31-08-2013, 01:17   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Marina prices are not consistent. Often they quote the current year's price, and it is not always clear whether that includes tax (at around 20%), nor what extra they charge for water and electricity. Then, as winter approaches, and the berths fill (or don't fill!) the new prices appear, either higher, (or discounted!).

Almeria is the sunniest spot in the Mediterranean for winter - perhaps excepting southern Tunisia. And Gelves nights are cold because it's well inland, not kept warm by the sea.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 01:21   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by urisvan View Post
hello

thank you for replies. i asked price from Almerimar, i am waiting a reply. i will let you know. i sent some masseges to some marinas and since now only one answer came from 'puorte Sotogrande'. and it is 1360 for my small boat from november to april. it is a little bit expensive for me. up to 1000 euro would be fine...is it possible?

thanks for telling the Guadina river option. but spending the winter at anchor can be difficult. what about the tempretures in winter over there? is the the atlantic side colder or warmer comparing to Med coast?

There are also some other channels before Guadina river... isnt it possible to stay there? it seems that at the entrences of the canals and near the marina walls there are possible anchor places...

Barnaklel, you told that you stayed in Gelves... why it is that cold there? it is pretty south...you went there by the canal isnt it it? what was the price for you?

Regards
Ulas,
S/Y Tetranora
the climate is pretty mild 8-10c,even in winter,if you are shallow draft or can beach the boat on legs there are many more options in the area around the offshore islands in portugal.

another option is in france in the camargue,you can leave your mast up in the first part of the canal rhone a' sete,check out "cap d'agde"
Old 02-09-2013, 12:14   #13

Re: Wintering in South Coast of Spain

first i was concentrated on the Med partbon Spain...is the Atlantic part cheaper?
And there is an option to stay in the river Guadiana for free.

does anyone knows about the other canals from Gilbaltar to Guadiana?

Barbakiel, what is the name of the canal that you used for going to Gelves?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:51   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by urisvan View Post

Barbakiel, what is the name of the canal that you used for going to Gelves?
Not barbakiel but barnakiel. ;-) PLS PLS PLS as otherwise some may create the diminutive of barbie in place of more common barnie.

And not a canal but a river that is cargo-ship navigable and well marked and charted all the way to Sevilla. (Rio Guadalquivir). You can also anchor off at Gelves or at many other places on the river. Boats anchored off Gelves were allowed to use Gelves landing dock, pick up water and dispose of their garbage.

Mind it is a tidal river. Very tidal, very muddy, very dirty (typical in Spain).

You can also get a mooring in Sevilla proper (RYC), some 10 km from Gelves. Twice the convenience, tree times the fun but possibly fourfold the price.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 13:18   #15

Hello B

you say very dirty... It means, even i am not in salt water, at the end of winter, there will be barnacles on the hull so i will not be able to move?

and does the tide makes any danger?

thank you

Tags
Spain, spain