Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2023, 14:34   #46

Boat: Nordship 808
Re: Conversion project - documented

So, a short update, and some housekeeping
Housekeeping first:
I am not the moderator of this thread, and I have myself indulged in further discussion of the viability of EP, but let's keep that in the original thread.

Update:
Old engine bay is cleaned out, and the old 12v system is sorted for re-assembly.

Friday the 12th is the day of installing the new engine, and I will post pictures.
If that goes well, I expect to pick up the battery early next week.
Splash will then happen middle of next week if crane agrees.

Let me know if there are any specific things I should document in that process, before I start posting actual consumption/range figures.

I am mostly stressed out about the splash, and hopefully no leaks around the steel plate and motor mounts into the hull.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 15:48   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

My very first boat had a Volvo Penta MD7B. It was a heavy beast for sure and had numerous issues which spelt it's early removal and replacement.
In you situation, I'm wondering if another diesel from a different maker would have made more sense ?
Kinda moot observation at this point of your install, but I was wonder about things like resale value, etc.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 23:54   #48

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorxyz View Post
... I also still need to either get the anchor winch motor rewound or get a 48v motor from Maxwell. Rewinding likely will be cheaper.
I never thought of rewinding the existing winch motor! Great idea, although I assume it won't be cheap either? Mine is a Lofrans Falkon 1500W (not the more modern 1700W). If you get that done, could you let here/me know the method and costs?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:02   #49

So today was installation day.
Boat-guy arrived at 10.00 a.m. and drove off at 12.00 a.m.

Next week I aquire the battery and if everything goes smooth it should be in the water some time next week.

Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230512_155042_924.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	275280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230512_125012_441.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	275281  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230512_123604_055 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	275282  
Old 12-05-2023, 08:12   #50

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorMade View Post

Next week I aquire the battery and if everything goes smooth it should be in the water some time next week.

Pictures attached.
Quickest boat project ever! Good job [emoji106]
Old 12-05-2023, 08:23   #51

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:

Pictures attached.
Curious is there an interior motor controller box? Not talking the throttle/display but whatever the battery is wired into.

Once minor pro for electric is that installing and removing an electric motor doesn't require a forklift or crane.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:39   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Curious is there an interior motor controller box? Not talking the throttle/display but whatever the battery is wired into.

Once minor pro for electric is that installing and removing an electric motor doesn't require a forklift or crane.
There used to be an external controller, but in the new series, the controller is a part of the pylon (under water), so only 3 wires up into the boat, directly to the battery (via breaker/switch) and a thin cable to the throttle contoller.

So very tidy inside the boat, plus the controller will be kept cool by the sea water.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:01   #53
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Which motor is this? Do you have specs? Do you have links to more info?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:39   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Which motor is this? Do you have specs? Do you have links to more info?
Sure, should be in the first post, but I went with the Torqeedo for several reasons.

This is the one (but with a Flexofold propeller)

https://www.torqeedo.com/en/products...M-1269-00.html

Should be around 9 HP. I am confident it will be plenty of power for our use.
Old 12-05-2023, 13:10   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
Well, I'm coming from the perspective of a 33'/32' WL 5-ton hybrid MV, with a semi-displacement hull,
Well, there will be a huge difference between SD hull and a very slippery yacht travelling slowly and no where near hull speed in flat conditions, hence the need for the electric motor rather than sails.

But even if the numbers are a little high, no one is going to start on a 50m voyage in flat calm conditions. However, add 10 knots of wind still giving flat calm water but useful input from the sails, then reducing back the throttle may give a really good range.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 13:15   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
But even if the numbers are a little high, no one is going to start on a 50m voyage in flat calm conditions.
Pete
Well, we have, once or twice.
We were on vacation and needed go get back to home port during a calm night.
Actually it was this situation that made me size the battery at 12 KWh
Old 12-05-2023, 13:54   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

In a 10kts wind you must be able to sail without use of an engine. Something is wrong otherwise.

We do 4 kts STW on a broad reach with 10kts wind and much more on a beam reach or with the wind even more forward.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2023, 01:10   #58

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You're right, I was thinking of ‘ordinary synchronous motors’, as that is where my application experience was (@ Westinghouse), forty years ago.
I have little knowledge of EV/EBoat motors, so I'd welcome evidence (or explanation) supporting the claim that a motor twice the size of another, is just as efficient.

I believe (perhaps wrongly) that significantly underloading any electric motor will result in reduced efficiency; but, I'm willing to be educated.

A motor designed to about 75% of maximum expected load will remain quite efficient, and still retain considerable ‘over load’ (emergency) capacity.

The Torqeedo Cruise 6.0 FP TorqLink uses a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM [1]), as do most automakers [2], on their Evs.

Torqeedo describes their motors as: brushless (rare-earth permanent magnets) , electronically commutated, synchronous motors, with external rotors (stator and the coils located on the inside).
https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/te...ic-motors.html

See “Electric Motor Selection for Underwater Vehicles: Considerations of partial load efficiency”
for an explanation of why
“... Partial power loading is the big issue for most applications, as running a motor at low power can cause a significant drop in motor efficiency [from 90%+ a nearly full load, to 75% at fractional loading) ...”
Here ➥ https://www.hydrocompinc.com/wp-cont...r-vehicles.pdf

[1] There are two driving methods for permanent magnet motors: square wave and sine wave, these are referred to as permanent magnet brushless DC motor (BLDCM), and permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM), respectively.

[2] The majority of auto manufacturers (ie: Toyota Prius, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Ford Focus Electric, zero motorcycles S/SR, Nissan Leaf, Hinda Accord, BMW i3) use Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors (PMSM) motors, for their electric and hybrid vehicles.
However, the Tesla Model S and Model X used an AC Induction motor. The Model 3 uses a Switched Reluctance Motor (SRM) with internal permanent magnets in the stator, called an internal permanent magnet switched reluctance motor (IPM-SRM). Dual-motor versions were also introduced by Tesla—the Model 3 uses an IM in the front and an IPM-SRM in the back. It is the opposite case for the Model S and Model X.
I can't really give you any "evidence", as I no longer have the data and I could write down anything I want anyway, but I can tell you that at equal RPM, when testing, I observed the two motors would draw about the same current. Tach was driven by a hall effect sensor and magnet, digitally displayed. No guessing. Ammeter was a shunt digital 100a meter. There was no significant difference in current at a given RPM. This was whether I was running a square wave or a sine wave controller. 48v system. Originally I used a 300A (peak) 48v Kelly controller. Later I upgraded to a 500A (peak) sine wave controller that could operate at up to 96v. I wanted the option of being able to double my bank size some day, but I never did. With either controller, the current draw for a given RPM was essentially the same from one motor to the other. Naturally the sine wave controller was slightly more efficient and it made both motors run noticeably quieter. I did not observe or record motor temperatures. I can't make you believe me, all I can do is tell you what I observed with my own system and I won't argue about it. Feel free to say it isn't so. I'm moving on.
Old 15-05-2023, 06:06   #59

Boat: Sail Craft Apache 41

Quote:

This is the one (but with a Flexofold propeller)

https://www.torqeedo.com/en/products...M-1269-00.html
The casing colour is black on the website, but yours appears primer-gray... is this so? (curious as it will likely be the same model I will be using)
Vinny Barbarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 07:08   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Barbarino View Post
The casing colour is black on the website, but yours appears primer-gray... is this so? (curious as it will likely be the same model I will be using)
It is black, but the photo was taken after I started priming the drive before applying antifouling.

Tags
men, project