Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electric Propulsion (EP)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 10:42   #16

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch
Re: Jimmy Cornell goes Electric, with a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Sorry to disagree here. With a sufficiently large batt bank a boat can use some of it for propulsion and still have enough energy to run the onboard for a few days.

For longer stretches of bad weather (overcast, yet no wind) one would like to have a fuel cell, I'd have to admit
Yet, the technology for the latter is evolving rapidly, too.
One first of all needs to understand were the mineral and chemicals are extracted from to create lithium batteries for all those lovely cars and powering cats , the dredging of the sea floor on behemoth ships sucking the life out of the oceans so man can save the planet with their over expensive battery's for over expensive cars and boats , retailing only to those that can afford it , but the other 70% of the worlds population do not have the resources to buy such luxuries .

There is no such thing as a Zero carbon footprint when buying a boat and having diesel or lithium as your propulsion , it would take a lot of research and some dam good statistics to truly work out which has the higher Carbon footprint ,along with all that silicon used in the solar panels to create the energy .
One can be assured that the figures might surprise us all
CO2 used to extract oil to diesel to engine to fuel used for diesel
CO2 used to extract minerals to lithium to engine and extra solar needed for no diesel
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:44   #17

Problem atm is, there is no real affordable FC to buy.
You can get an Efoy, that might top up the battery bank, but is far from what a diesel genset can get you. And still is very pricy.
And then there is the fuel problem, H2 is hard to store and I am not really sure if I whould want to have 300bar pressure tanks on board.
The other thing could be methanole like Efoy does it, but with their solution a kWh costs about 5$.
So, FC will take a little longer until they are usable. But the idea is interessting, especially they are almost silent.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:45   #18

Those kinda guyS like Cornell are commercial, sponsor , driven

He got the junk for free...in exchange he promotes it
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:13   #19

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Well who can know the absolute truth on any of this. I sometimes this there is a bit of Cool Aid drinking going on in regard to the cause of Climate Change. Its certainly happening, but the cause is the real question. That sun is a lot bigger deal than we meet mortals. There is of course a historical perspective as well to be considered. That said I am not here to say much more than Ol Jimmy has the right to buy what ever he wants with his hard earned dollars. I have and use several of his books aboard having been steadily cruising these past 11 years. Would that I was there for the launching. Bet it was a hell of a party....
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:08   #20

Quote:
Those of you who criticize his efforts, are likely Trumpers and drive 10mpg trucks.
You do realize that this is international forum and a lot of people here have no connection to Trump or 10mpg trucks? BTW, I noticed that people generally resort to name-calling when they have no real arguments
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:17   #21

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Yes building a boat has a carbon footprint. He's not denying that. He is going to push the limits of no carbon daily operation, and over time will fine tune it to get the most range with the equipment he's chosen. We will all benefit from his efforts and have new options to reduce our carbon footprints.
Those of you who criticize his efforts, are likely Trumpers and drive 10mpg trucks.
Who's Trump never heard of them
https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...l-dirty-secret
Carbon fiber and lithium battery in large quantities but hey hes going electric and not burning minimal diesel,
Must be noted that emissions policy of new marine diesel engines it very good. In the EU that is
Good for you Jimmy boy why do we need to know about this , oh the sponsorship is paying for it
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:22   #22

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
the least emissions path by far would be to NOT BUILD ANOTHER NEW BOAT and make do with an existing one.
There are at least two different (overlapping) least emissions paths:

1) Minimize your emissions.
2) Inspire/affect, through your actions, other people to do the same.

I think it was great that Greta sailed there and back. More people should sail. I think it might reduce other consumption just before that moment of zen
Old 10-02-2020, 12:33   #23

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Neither Carbon fiber nor its manufacturing is the slightest bit green. Nor is it recyclable in any meaningful way, it is in fact a big chunk of plastic that will never ever decompose, just like a fiberglass boat. Virtually nothing about the boat is any greener than any other sailboat with a solar array, when under sail. That said, glad he is able to parlay his reputation for a bunch of free or heavily discounted equipment, to include the boat. Good on him. As an experimental propulsion sailboat it may in the future lead to the replacement of the auxiliary Diesel engine, and that okay if it actually has any real range.

Wood! It’s the original carbon fiber...

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:42   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Quote:
yeah cos theres no emissions expelled in building the boat is there???

sorry but this is just yet more hypocritical virtue signalling

the least emissions path by far would be to NOT BUILD ANOTHER NEW BOAT and make do with an existing one.

Doing a refit or rebuild on an existing boat would generate just as much of a carbon footprint. More, potentially, as modern manufacturing can minimize waste and pollution. However, every potential sailboat purchase is a compromise to something.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:50   #25

[QUOTE I think it was great that Greta sailed there and back. More people should sail. I think it might reduce other consumption just before that moment of zen [/QUOTE]

I am too glad that Greta sailed: sailing is great. Too bad that the crew to deliver her by sailboat flew across the ocean: 6 people overall if I remember it correctly, so killing any idea of "reducing consumption"
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 13:01   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Ok I can explain who Trump is for you.
Someone who's willing to destroy the planet for personal gain, and ridicule those who care about our planets health. Driving a huge truck to carry a bag of groceries is a sure sign you worship him.

that's funny. I walk to grocery store every day to fetch my supplies. and then carry a bag of groceries back to the boat. my 30' boat has a 20 HP diesel. but you know what? Trump is my president
Old 10-02-2020, 13:05   #27

Boat: Leopard 46.Sold. Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
There are at least two different (overlapping) least emissions paths:

1) Minimize your emissions.
2) Inspire/affect, through your actions, other people to do the same.

I think it was great that Greta sailed there and back. More people should sail. I think it might reduce other consumption just before that moment of zen

Well said, observing the issue from a distance, rather than reacting to "perceived" personal life style threats.

Any journey starts with the first "steps." If the so-called human race survives the oncoming demographic collapse from climate change, it will be because enough people took the "first" steps for change to happen. Those with guns can commence firing
Yes maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 13:05   #28
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
[QUOTE I think it was great that Greta sailed there and back. More people should sail. I think it might reduce other consumption just before that moment of zen
I am too glad that Greta sailed: sailing is great. Too bad that the crew to deliver her by sailboat flew across the ocean: 6 people overall if I remember it correctly, so killing any idea of "reducing consumption"[/QUOTE]

Basically your "consumption" is proportional to your income (or more precisely to your spending). Whatever you choose to buy. Simple. You want to reduce your consumption ? stop working, stop making children, even better, kill yourself. Pretending to be green when spending that much money is ... anyway, nice boat.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 13:09   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Got way political.

Either bring back to a discussion or the thread will be closed.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 13:11   #30

Boat: Ta Shing Baba 40

Quote:
yeah cos theres no emissions expelled in building the boat is there???

sorry but this is just yet more hypocritical virtue signalling

This is a short sighted view.

People pushing the envelope of environmentaly sound systems need to test. They are contributing far more to the cause than the impact of one boats production... Get a grip man... you may have been at sea too long yer sounding salty.
Mad Multi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, grass