Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electric Propulsion (EP)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2020, 07:49   #361

Re: Jimmy Cornell goes Electric, with a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Sounds like main issue is following seas reducing the generating power of the props. No easy way around that. Makes sense that 8 knots in flatwater is much better for regen.

Sounds like they might keep going though. Maybe with a generator for backup. Not as catchy as having no fossil fuels onboard but if anything would be a great data gathering trip for oceanvolt.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 08:42   #362

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Sounds like main issue is following seas reducing the generating power of the props. No easy way around that. Makes sense that 8 knots in flatwater is much better for regen.

Sounds like they might keep going though. Maybe with a generator for backup. Not as catchy as having no fossil fuels onboard but if anything would be a great data gathering trip for oceanvolt.
The more blunt version I read into it:

1) You had problems knowing how to use it; and
2) You used up more energy than the system was designed for.

Quote:
Hydrogeneration in manual mode, which is necessary in rough seas, requires a strong appropriation of the system by the crew
I wonder what they're really talking about here? What happens in "rough seas" that complicates hydrogeneration this much? How are you supposed to use it?
Old 20-12-2020, 09:25   #363

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I'm kinda wondering what the difference between manual and automatic modes are.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 09:35   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkmannosoy View Post
Doesn't makes sense to me at all. Why not load the boat up with solar. 1300 watts for a cat isn't that big. For an electric cat thats pretty much nothing. The O'kellys have almost 3k and they have diesel engines.

Again, it was a solution in search of a problem. Oceanvolt are pushing hard on regeneration. I'm sure they didn't want to be upstaged by a simple solar array installation.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 09:38   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
So a system that:
- Is really only useful when doing long passages.
- But those long passages have to be in millpond conditions
- At the same time, you need to be making 8kts to get any appreciable generation

Someone didn't think this thru or someone is feeding us a line of BS.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 09:43   #366

Boat: Olson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
No one will buy a ZERO FOSSIL FUELS yacht if they are smart. Like the Silent 55, any practical electric yacht will need to be equipped with a backup propulsion system in order to sell to the knowledgeable mariner. They will need to have a diesel, LPG or LNG backup generators to charge batteries at night or in bad weather, as well as to take over directly powering the main electric motors in a pinch.
You are wrong. More and more boats are going zero fuel. Mine for one. It is a substantial stride forward: much more enjoyable and much less trouble.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 10:00   #367

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Oceanvolt responds:

Quote:
- The specifications took into account very economical on-board consumption for 2 crew members. It does appear that the shift to 4 crew members and the use of energy-intensive equipment contributed to the scarcity of resources during periods of no wind.

https://oceanvolt.com/oceanvolt-blog...lectric-shock/
!!!
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 10:38   #368

Boat: a sailing boat

This is to say an Outremer (which is known to sail like a dream) cannot cross the ocean because there is not enough electricity onboard?

Time to die.

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 11:05   #369

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This is to say an Outremer (which is known to sail like a dream) cannot cross the ocean because there is not enough electricity onboard?

Time to die.

;-)
b.
If you can't heat a frozen pizza in an electrical oven, there is no sense in crossing it.
Old 20-12-2020, 12:23   #370

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I'm kinda wondering what the difference between manual and automatic modes are.

Same here, and nothing that I can find about manual regeneration. Hopefully someone can explain.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 12:48   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Same here, and nothing that I can find about manual regeneration. Hopefully someone can explain.
The Okellys channel interviewed a guy with a complete electric boat. He had 4 ocean volt motors. Although he got rid of two later on when he got hit by lighting. One of them went to sailing Uma. I think the episode is "interview with TOP SECRET" Its a two part video. I think what theyre talking about is theres and automatic regen button and then manually you can kinda give it a little throttle, enough to open up the blades and create a electric field.(Im sure I butchered that) He explains it in the video though. The boat is insane. A ton of custom work and he didn't do anything cheap. Some cats are considered floating condos but this is a real deal floating home. Huge cat. I think he spent over a million on the conversion.
Milkmannosoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 13:05   #372

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So a system that:

- Is really only useful when doing long passages.

- But those long passages have to be in millpond conditions

- At the same time, you need to be making 8kts to get any appreciable generation

Someone didn't think this thru or someone is feeding us a line of BS.

We spoke with a professional crew member on a high performance 16m cat in Whangarei a few years ago about their Watt & Sea hydro generator - it was the first one we’d seen in real life. He said it worked quite well when passage sailing when it works 24/7, but is basically useless when local cruising and of course doesn’t work when anchored. He said for the money he’d prefer solar panels, but that if money is no object then hydro generation is great for passages and more reliable than wind as it doesn’t care about point of sail.

Watt & Sea units don’t care about sea conditions, as long as they stay in the water. Weird that the OceanVolt regen system struggles in rough seas - is it the occasional reverse flow and aeration that messes it up?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 14:16   #373

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Up here on the contrary we are building more nuclear (and wind), and shutting down coal. Not in Norway or Denmark (Norway is 100% hydro; Denmark has vast amounts of wind), but in Sweden and Finland.
Same out West, well the UK. 3 new nuclear plants suggested, one to be run by EDF (French electro) and built by the Chinese I think has the thumbs up. 2 others in planning.

That oil powered station in the Solent that has the big chimney, well its gone, apart from the Chimney was still standing last time I looked. Coal also being shut down and even the gas generators built in the 1980s under Margret Thatcher are reaching end of life.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 15:20   #374

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
If you can't heat a frozen pizza in an electrical oven, there is no sense in crossing it.

Ha ha !!!

Also this one: "I you want the ultimate energy store onboard, do not buy a boat, buy a nuclear plant."

;-)))))

Cheers,

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 16:55   #375

Speaking of electric boats. Has anyone heard of a Company called BigBattery? For lithium batteries their prices are insane. Half off what other companies are charging. 900$ for 12v 170ah battery and 1600$ for 24v 170ah battery. I found it on a youtube channel called Living Hakuna. They have a discount code for 10% off. 10 year warranty even though its going on a boat. If a cell goes bad you can open the battery and send it to them. American company as well. Seems worth checking out.

Milkmannosoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, grass