Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 05:39   #91

Boat: J/88
Re: The rise of electric Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Unfortunately already electric alone brings a lot of complexity. The currents are high, installation needs to be sound. Electric (for me, atm) seems much more difficult to repair at sea if something breaks. After reading Nordkyn/ZwerfCat 'lithium-info' I'm currently a bit sceptical if LFP is really such a simple dont-think-twice swap as I have thought.

With a hybrid one has redundant propulsion (in addition to the range).

I'm not sure if a portable generator is such a good idea. Efficiency drops, there is dangerous gas on board. Are portable generators robust when there is strong wind? If one goes electric then why not just accept that on long passages one has to wait if there is no wind? And shoulder the somewhat increased risk to end on a lee shore?
Though I would absolutely rather have a built-in diesel generator, a portable one on deck does just fine especially considering that in my use case it is one day out of 99 where that might be needed. When it is needed the conerns you note above are much less an issue than waiting till you can sail in. In my case the limiting factor is the battery charger (which is very convenient since I can plug the portable genny into the shore power plug) which cannot pass enough current onto the batteries to run the motor at full capacity.
Old 14-12-2020, 05:53   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Bio fuels are an environmental disaster , responsible for destruction of virgin forest etc
Corn ethonal in the US is a joke.

Repurposing used cooking oil makes a lot of sense.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 10:11   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Corn ethonal in the US is a joke.

Repurposing used cooking oil makes a lot of sense.
Corn ethanol is not a joke it is a multi billion dollar a year business. It is about useless ( except in E85 ) after all the original Ford model A was designed and built to run ethanol.
The problem with modern engines and ethanol is rubber based hoses and gaskets. Change it all out to neoprene and increase the fuel by about 25% to 30%.

Used cooking oil becomes bio diesel
Old 14-12-2020, 10:48   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Though I would absolutely rather have a built-in diesel generator, a portable one on deck does just fine especially considering that in my use case it is one day out of 99 where that might be needed. When it is needed the conerns you note above are much less an issue than waiting till you can sail in. In my case the limiting factor is the battery charger (which is very convenient since I can plug the portable genny into the shore power plug) which cannot pass enough current onto the batteries to run the motor at full capacity.
Thank you for the feedback!
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 11:00   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep electric sounds great just wait for wind and sail instead of motoring . Until rigging fails and storms are brewing .
Old 14-12-2020, 12:09   #96

Boat: C&C 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Yep electric sounds great just wait for wind and sail instead of motoring . Until rigging fails and storms are brewing .
I agree that running out of battery when rigging fails would be a potentially bad situation. And if I had a working diesel on my boat, I wouldn’t be reading this thread. But as someone with a gas engine in their boat, I wonder if the sum of electric engine disasters iis more common or are exploding engine bays and other gas problems. Furthermore, are the rate of engine exhaust related health maladies significant to factor into the equation?
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:20   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
I agree that running out of battery when rigging fails would be a potentially bad situation. And if I had a working diesel on my boat, I wouldn’t be reading this thread. But as someone with a gas engine in their boat, I wonder if the sum of electric engine disasters iis more common or are exploding engine bays and other gas problems. Furthermore, are the rate of engine exhaust related health maladies significant to factor into the equation?
When proper procedures are followed there have to my knowledge been 0 (none)
Engine fires caused by the fuel. If you have a good running engine . Imo wait to make any changes . You never know what the technology will be like or priced at in 3 years . Let alone 10 when your engine is still going strong.
Old 14-12-2020, 12:23   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Hydrogen looks very good which is why folks keep working on it but the reality is that it will never overcome problems with storage and it’s logistics tail.

Storage: long term storage involves compressing the gas to 3000psi which takes energy (5% or so of the energy in the fuel) and requires heavy tanks.

Hydrogen (3000psi): 1.8MJ/L &146MJ/kg
Gasoline/petrol: 35MJ/L& 46MJ/kg
Diesel: 39MJ/L & 45MH/kg
LiFePO (18650): 2.3MJ/L & 0.85MJ/kg

19l tank will hold 1.3kg hydrogen at 200bar.
Tank weighs about 20kg so specific energy including tank is about 9.3 MJ/kg. Actually it is slightly worse than that because you need to account for the weight and volume of the fuel cell if you are comparing to a battery. At best hydrogen including tank and cell has 7x or so the specific energy of LiFePo batteries and has about half the energy density.

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/gen/fy08/43061.pdf

https://www.skai.co/hydrogen-details

Hydrogen is great on a per kg basis but is pretty bad for volume compared to batteries. At the very best it breaks even with gas or diesel if all parts of each system are considered.

In the logistical tail there is an energy penalty to creating the hydrogen from water, and then also to compress it. There is no infrastructure for creating, compressing, storing or distribution of hydrogen so there would be a huge price in creating this infrastructure ashore, a significant fraction of $1T.

What about foregoing to shoreside infrastructure and creating and pressurizing the hydrogen aboard? Possible but then there are increased space and weight demands aboard and the whole system is significantly less efficient than LiFePo and maybe even than LA batteries. That means more solar panels for a given amount of stored energy.

There are other methods of hydrogen storage such as as hydrides, but those technologies are relatively immature so it will be decades before any of the become viable at scale.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/hydrogen-storage

Better than hydrogen would be electro-fuels.
Such as various forms of ammonia or even gasoline or diesel.
Ammonia is one of the most produced chemicals in the world and the technology is very mature though low or no carbon processes are currently rather expensive. Ammonia can then be used as a fuel for an ICE though it needs some other fuels to promote ignition. It can be made from air, water and electricity.
Diesel and gasoline/petrol/butanol can also be made from Air, water and electricity using the Fischer-Tropisch process. The technologies are all reasonably mature but have not been integrated or scaled up so the economics are not yet apparent.

Wow, this is a great analysis! My hat is off to you! This is a much deeper analysis than mine; I defer. Elecrofuels it is. Thank you, I learned a lot from this post.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:27   #99

Electrofuel have the problem, that they need even more energy to be produced and are used in very inefficient ICE vehicles.
From an efficiency standpoint PtL is the worst thing you can do.
Batteries and electric motors are far better.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:30   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem24 View Post
Electrofuel have the problem, that they need even more energy to be produced and are used in very inefficient ICE vehicles.
From an efficiency standpoint PtL is the worst thing you can do.
Batteries and electric motors are far better.

Not when power density matters.

Batteries and electric motors might be ok in cars which never get that far from a supercharger, but not in aircraft, or vessels.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:33   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Corn ethanol is not a joke it is a multi billion dollar a year business. It is about useless ( except in E85 ) after all the original Ford model A was designed and built to run ethanol.
The problem with modern engines and ethanol is rubber based hoses and gaskets. Change it all out to neoprene and increase the fuel by about 25% to 30%.

Used cooking oil becomes bio diesel
Both are biofuels. (note I was specific about corn based and waste oil based...there are other sources for each)

The joke about corn ethanol is not the fuel itself but the wasteful process that produces it. Modern engines have no issue using it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:38   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Not when power density matters.

Batteries and electric motors might be ok in cars which never get that far from a supercharger, but not in aircraft, or vessels.
Where are you getting the energy from?
It does not come from thin air.
Atm there is a limited supply of renewables...
And from the look of it, for years to come.
Old 14-12-2020, 12:41   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Wow, this is a great analysis! My hat is off to you! This is a much deeper analysis than mine; I defer. Elecrofuels it is. Thank you, I learned a lot from this post.
Thing is they don't use highly compressed hydrogen they produce it daily using the excess solar on board and use it nightly to produce power

https://www.cnet.com/news/this-boat-...from-seawater/

My question would be where do you sit on the deck?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201214-124254_Chrome.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	228642  
Old 14-12-2020, 13:27   #104

You can, the panels are walk-on semi rigid.
But there is a huge lounge aft under the "bimini".
They do store the hydrogen:
https://www.energy-observer.org/reso...drogen-storage
63kg in high pressure composite tanks.
Nothing I would like to have on a plesure vessel...
Old 14-12-2020, 13:39   #105

Boat: J/88

At least with the Democrat-Republican debate where so many seem to be at the poles without evidence, I can say at least they have some skin in the game. I cannot understand why so many seem dead set against electric propulsion as an option. If it is fear that someone will create public policy forcing you to convert, I am of the opinion that you are safe until there isn't enough diesel for you to get any which makes the debate moot.
Please chime in with suggestions or criticisms that you haven't heard before in the thread and I will respectfully do the same. If all you want to do is bash the idea as not feasible because it is not perfect for some applications, I don't think you are adding to the discussion but rather detracting from the discourse.
Sincerely, Dan

Tags
boat, electric