Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electric Propulsion (EP)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2019, 14:32   #421

Boat: R&C 46' power cat
Re: Viability of electric only propulsion in 2018 - is there a good option after all?

Somehow I missed this link on the OP video
www.quadmarine.com
This quad 44 looks like a viable option, I'm kind of surprised it's not mentioned throughout the thread. Viable at least if your ok going 6kts, and limited range for just under $1M
But seems like it would make a good self-sufficient moveable apartment on water.
Since I've not seen any mention of this boat in any solar/electric threads-is there some sort of inherent problem with this boat that I'm missing?
Nauti Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 16:12   #422
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Viability of electric only propulsion in 2018 - is there a good option after all?

Probably because most do not consider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Cat View Post
limited range for just under $1M
to be included in their definition of viable.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 10:47   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

I have been a rabid Earth-First activist, think human population should be reduced by 95% .................., etc etc
Are you volunteering?
Nairbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 10:57   #424
cruiser

Had my tubes tied, and regularly donate to voluntary family planning charities, including free vasectomy clinics, and strongly advocate for reproductive rights and related health care.

Also do not and will not take extraordinary precautions to extend my life, figure when my time's up so be it.

So yes, in a sense.
Old 14-01-2020, 13:58   #425

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Had my tubes tied, and regularly donate to voluntary family planning charities, including free vasectomy clinics, and strongly advocate for reproductive rights and related health care.

Also do not and will not take extraordinary precautions to extend my life, figure when my time's up so be it.

So yes, in a sense.
trouble is (and without wanting to be politically incorrect), we in the first world are not the problem...population growth in europe / north america is already too low

asia / africa / south america on the other hand...

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 14:22   #426
cruiser

In general, individual efforts are useless when systemic solutions are required.

But in this case, we do what we can, and in fact I was just answering a direct question along those lines.
Old 17-01-2020, 06:57   #427

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
In general, individual efforts are useless when systemic solutions are required.
True for both population growth and viable electric propulsion!
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:48   #428
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

So yes, in a sense.
Confused.
Is this in the right forum?
Are you female or transgender?

Enquiring minds would like to know. (AS they say a lot in Private Eye magazine)
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:18   #429
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

There's A New Wave Of Anti-EV Rhetoric

“Climate Deniers Are Using These Four Major Scare Tactics to Stop Climate Action” ~ by Stella Levantesi and Giulio Corsion
Quote:
From doomsday scenarios to conspiracies totally removed from reality, a Twitter analysis found the top fear-based narratives that today’s climate deniers are spreading to prevent climate policy.

When fossil fuel companies found out about the link between their product and climate change decades ago, they did everything they could to hide it. They lied, manipulated, and deceived.

Today, denying the reality of climate change isn’t as easy, and it is certainly more controversial. But that doesn’t mean climate deniers — fossil fuel companies, lobbyists, and their allies opposed to climate action — have moved past the lies...
More ➥ https://www.desmog.com/2021/11/16/fo...ctics-twitter/

“The new flavors of anti-Tesla and anti-EV FUD” ~ by Charles Morris
Quote:
Fossil fuel companies have known about the risks of climate change since the 1970s. For several decades, they did everything they could to convince the public and policymakers that it wasn’t real, spending vast sums on advertisements, planted articles in the press, and studies by sympathetic “think tanks,” many of which were (and are) cited by politicians to justify inaction.

These days, outright climate change denial doesn’t get much traction with educated people, so the defenders of the status quo have shifted their strategies. The oil companies and their allies (which include many automakers, utilities, conservative political parties and oil-exporting nations) now seek to present themselves as the good guys. Not only do they believe in climate change, but they’re at the forefront of efforts to fight it. In fact, it turns out that we can fix our environment while continuing to burn ever-increasing amounts of fossil fuels.

Isn’t that great? Our grandchildren can still have the butterflies and polar bears, and oil companies can still rake in billions in profit...
More ➥ https://evannex.com/blogs/news/the-n...nd-anti-ev-fud

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propulsion