Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37   #1

Abacos Float Plan / Questions

The wife and I and 3 other couples are headed to the Abacos at the beginning of April on a 4 cabin Cat chartered from the Moorings for a 5 day cruise. Very excited but I had some questions about our itenerary and mooring balls.

Regarding mooring balls:
I know that you can call ahead to reserve but I wasn't sure how early you need to call ahead. Is this something I need to be doing now considering we are 6 weeks out or is it a day or two before. It may vary based on location so I have included our preliminary float plan.

Regarding Float Plan: The First day or two is somewhat set in stone but the back half of our trip is still in the air since I wasn't sure if we were planning too much float time or what... Take a look at this abridged version of our float plan and make as many comments/suggestions as you'd like. I love the feedback and have always received great advice on this forum.

Day 1 (Sunday): Leave port around 11:00AM (we are sleeping on the boat the night before but have to attend a captain's meeting at 9:00.) - Sail from Marsh Harbor to Great Guana Cay – our plan was to hit Nippers for their Sunday pig roast so I think grabbing a ball at Settlement Harbor from Dive Guana is our plan. How far in advance do I need to reserve one?

Day 2 (Monday): Great Guana to Fowl Cay (for snorkeling) to Man of War Cay – plan was to either grab a mooring ball in the North Channel from Man-O-War Marina (alternative being possibly anchoring off of Matt Lowe’s Cay).

Day 3 (Tuesday): Man of War Cay to Hope Town – I know there are moorings available from Hope Town Marina (how far in advance do I need to call?)

Day 4 (Wednesday): Either heading from Hope Town to Little Harbour (although that may be a lot of traveling for a 5 day trip) or just cruising to the south tip of Elbow Cay and spending the night on the hook off of Tahiti Beach or in Tilloo Cay. ANYONE FEEL STRONGLY ONE WAY OR THE OTHER?

Day 5 (Thursday): If we went to little harbor then head back north to Elboy Cay. If we stayed around Elbow Cay then possibly just fool around in that area for another day (Lubbers Quarters for lunch, etc…).

Day 6 (Friday): Head back to Marsh Harbor (need to be back by 11:00AM)…

Thanks in advance for the advice...
AHollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Abacos Float Plan / Questions

If you have numbers to call, about mooring ball reservations; call now. They will give you absolutely definitive advice, whether you’re calling too soon or not.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:14   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I suspect that most mooring ball operators don't want to hear from you more than 3-4 days in advance. If you call 6 weeks early they will just forget. This is the Bahamas Mon!!

Either Tahiti Beach or Little harbor are good choices. It sort of depends on if you want something to do- like visit Pete's Pub and the art stuff or just lie around and soak up the sun.

Another suggestion would be to head over to Treasure Cay for a night, then Bakers Bay and then back to Marsh Harbor. Treasure Cay is supposed to have one of the top ten beaches in the world.

All of the desitinations you mentioned are within a half day or so sail. Little Harbor is the farthest, but easily doable if you leave early.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:46   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I'm in Marsh Harbour now. I rarely pick up moorings, but it sounds like most are done on little notice. I'm under the impression most don't want to make advance reservations as plans often change. I'm sure the charter company you go with will give you good advice in this regard.

Your plans are all a relaxed pace and very doable. I always try to be open to working with the weather rather than stick to a schedule. Treasure Cay is almost all anchoring now - most moorings are gone.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco