Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 11:46   #1

Boat: Tennant Cordoba Catamaran 60'
Abacos Moorings

I appreciate all of the discussions folks have had about moorings in the Bahamas in general and the Abacos in particular. I am currently cruising in the area and want to head up to the Abacos. I am on-board a 60' cat so I have been very skittish around the moorings in general and usually ride my own gear. Are any of the Abacos moorings suitable for larger vessels?

I'll still dive it but would like to start out with more than a couple of cinder blocks.

Thanks everyone ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Frank & Judy & Recon
On-Board ATHENEA
Currently Laying:
Inbound Berrys
MSVAthenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 12:32   #2

Re: Abacos Moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVAthenea View Post
I appreciate all of the discussions folks have had about moorings in the Bahamas in general and the Abacos in particular. I am currently cruising in the area and want to head up to the Abacos. I am on-board a 60' cat so I have been very skittish around the moorings in general and usually ride my own gear. Are any of the Abacos moorings suitable for larger vessels?

I'll still dive it but would like to start out with more than a couple of cinder blocks.

Thanks everyone ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Frank & Judy & Recon
On-Board ATHENEA
Currently Laying:
Inbound Berrys
I moored and anchored all over the Abacos last October in a 44 foot catamaran. Our cat drew 4'7.

No issues with either. I don't know what your catamaran draws...but we tried to arrive at our anchorages within 2 hours of high tide. Not always necessary depending on where you are.

Again, no issues. Cost of the mooring balls were 20 bucks except at Treasure Cay which was $35.
Old 22-02-2019, 13:12   #3

Boat: Tennant Cordoba Catamaran 60'

Thanks very much ... The depth, of course, is a consideration but I was also concerned about weight limitations of some of the moorings ...

Regards ...
MSVAthenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 16:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVAthenea View Post
Thanks very much ... The depth, of course, is a consideration but I was also concerned about weight limitations of some of the moorings ...

Regards ...
You did not mention the weight of your cat....must be a lot at 60 feet. I do know I saw cats a lot bigger than our 44 footer using mooring balls.....a few larger Lagoons and a Leopard 48 (33,000 LBS).

i would have no idea how to find the weight limitations of the various moorings. We used moorings in 3 locations that were VERY well protected....Treasure Cay, Great Guana Cay ( Nippers) and Hope Town once. Our second time we just anchored outside the entrance.

I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable sailors here that can be of more help.

Tags
abaco, mooring