Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 09:14   #1

Adams key, FL. Shoaling notes/help

I've been thinking of trying to visit Adam's key in my 4'8" draft sailboat.

The notes make it seem like this may be possible, at least with the tide add. Some notes are pessimistic, though. ALL the notes seem to be many years old now, though.

Navionics charts make it seem possible even at dead low, but with about a half foot of clearance.

Also, is there still a dog at the ranger station? Are you still welcome to tie up the dinghy at the ranger station?

- AT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-01-21-12-08-05.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	251665  
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 09:22   #2

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Adams key, FL. Shoaling notes/help

Please note that the entrance to Caesars Creek from the bay side (west) is partially silted in and very shallow. I draw 3.5 ft and pucker every time I go through it. The rest of the channel is deep.
Haven't seen the dog for a while.
Have seen dinghys tied up to dock.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 09:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
Please note that the entrance to Caesars Creek from the bay side (west) is partially silted in and very shallow. I draw 3.5 ft and pucker every time I go through it. The rest of the channel is deep.
Haven't seen the dog for a while.
Have seen dinghys tied up to dock.
Thank you for the note on the west entrance.
Do you ever use the north or east entrance?

- AT
Old 21-01-2022, 15:06   #4

I think north entrance is shallower. I only see center consoles etc using it. We anchor alot on Billy"s Point.
East entrance coming into bay is deep. But you still have to negotiate the west entrance! or exit?
It's very silty with a few corrals. Go slowly at high hide.

I have heard they have been trying to get permits to dredge that one spot. It's a pity because Caesars Creek is a beautiful deep channel otherwise.
Old 21-01-2022, 15:49   #5

Quote:
I think north entrance is shallower. I only see center consoles etc using it. We anchor alot on Billy"s Point.
East entrance coming into bay is deep. But you still have to negotiate the west entrance! or exit?
It's very silty with a few corrals. Go slowly at high hide.

I have heard they have been trying to get permits to dredge that one spot. It's a pity because Caesars Creek is a beautiful deep channel otherwise.
Thank you very much for the local Intel. I did see Billy's point, but I don't think there is a landing for my dogs. I was planning on using this area, maybe by Reid key, to hide from the weather this weekend. Looks like I'll be hanging around No Name and try making it over to Adams key when the weather is more settled and failure to get into the anchorage would just be an aggravation.

- AT
Old 22-01-2022, 06:13   #6

No landing at Billy's point. But there is good holding for anchoring along the entire island of Elliot Key and plenty of small beach areas to take your dogs. During the week go to Boca Chita and relax. Take your dinghy into the Elliot marina. Fresh water showers and toilet facilities. Some bugs still even in January.
Old 23-01-2022, 11:38   #7

Quote:
No landing at Billy's point. But there is good holding for anchoring along the entire island of Elliot Key and plenty of small beach areas to take your dogs. During the week go to Boca Chita and relax. Take your dinghy into the Elliot marina. Fresh water showers and toilet facilities. Some bugs still even in January.
Thanks again for the insight. The website and reviews for Boca Chita say no pets. Is this something that isn't enforced any more?

Favorable bay weather is coming soon to go explore these areas. I'm excited.

- AT
Old 23-01-2022, 11:52   #8

We take our dog to Boca Chita all the time . During the week there are rarely any ranger visits. Just be low keyed.

Tags
adams