Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 18:19   #16

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: Advice for sailing North from USVI please

Seems if you got Puerto Rico>>>Fl route, you would have a good option if issues develop, whether mechanical or weather. Stopping in Puerto Rico after a long day of sailing would give you the ability to checkable rigging/ engines, etc for any issues and repair if necessary before proceeding.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 08:57   #17

Boat: Najad 460, 46 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Best trip ever, don’t rush it. You’ve got everything with you and some of the best cruising in front of you!

I’ve done both directions.

Consider coasting Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic to Luperon and up to Turks or over to Bajamas. I’d skip the Turks personally.

All good options! Some of the best cruising in the world.
GREETINGS

WHY SKIP TURKS? WE'RE WORKING ON A ROUTE FROM ST THOMAS TO FLORIDA - AND TURKS IS UNDER CONSIDERATION. APPRECIATE INSIGHTS!

LIVBYSEA
livbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 09:05   #18

Boat: Boatless

We just found it not to our tastes. We went straight from Provo to Luperon so missed Grand Turk.

Dry, not a lot to see culturally ashore except for NAPA. Anchorages not the best (we were spoiled by the Bahamas of course, still are)

Good air connections if you have folks joining or leaving. We left the boat there for a few months as well with no issues.

Really do what you want. I’m sure some could spend months there.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 09:10   #19

thanks!

appreciate quick reply - so many options to get north!

livbysea
Old 18-02-2018, 09:49   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
We just found it not to our tastes. We went straight from Provo to Luperon so missed Grand Turk.

Dry, not a lot to see culturally ashore except for NAPA. Anchorages not the best (we were spoiled by the Bahamas of course, still are)

Good air connections if you have folks joining or leaving. We left the boat there for a few months as well with no issues.

Really do what you want. I’m sure some could spend months there.
My experience as well. Not much reason to stop in Grand Turk but last time I was through there Provo (Providentiales) had some of the best reefs and diving on the whole trip.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 10:09   #21

thanks! appreciate your insights!

livbysea
Old 19-02-2018, 02:26   #22

Boat: Maxim 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I just did this trip in January. Make sure to be aware of the three shallow banks that lay between Puerto Rico and the Caicos. We went on the East side of them as the wind was forecast to turn from the north on the 3rd day. 35 knot winds for the last 24 hours so the Caicos bank was pretty rough even though it is shallow.

It's interesting that Georgia is where your going to do the refit. Did you look at Trinidad? It also seems that unless you want to go all the way to Turkey it would cost a fortune to have a refit done in the Med.
We saw your boat in Blue Haven Marina In Provo on our way to the D R. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180109_080430.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	164412
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 04:42   #23
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Nice photo Tunnelvision, thank you. The water is very pretty there. We went over to the beach and kite boarded every day so this was a convenient place to berth. The marina was torn up but the people were nice. Everyone was nice.

I'm actually thinking of heading from Freeport back down to the T&C to start out the new season next year. It must be warmer than the Bahamas.
Old 19-02-2018, 05:59   #24

Boat: Maxim 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Nice photo Tunnelvision, thank you. The water is very pretty there. We went over to the beach and kite boarded every day so this was a convenient place to berth. The marina was torn up but the people were nice. Everyone was nice.

I'm actually thinking of heading from Freeport back down to the T&C to start out the new season next year. It must be warmer than the Bahamas.
No problem glad you liked it. We are heading down the chain to Grenada. We're on SV Mojo a 38ft catamaran say hi if you see us!
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, sail, sailing