Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 15:37   #1

Advice on where to charter in the Caribbean

Hi,

I've gotten great advice in the past so I figured I'd ask for input on where our next destination should be in the Caribbean.

Here's some background. 3 couples, no kids all mid to late 30's. We've chartered 5 times in the last 6 or 7 years. We've done USVI, BVI extensively and recently did Baja. Chartered with Moorings and Sunsail but monohaul and cat's.

Our preference is for lush islands with plenty of unspoiled beaches and coves. We like our privacy and prefer to anchor without 10 other boats close by. Anchoring every night is not an issue, so having moorings is not required. That being said we do like to go on shore and eat at a nice place a couple times within a week. We also prefer line of sight sailing as the ladies get nervous when there's nothing on the horizon.

We're planning on going the first week of June so know we need to decide very soon. I'm still doing my research so I'm curious what others think about the Grenadines, St. Vincent, St. Martin, Martinique or St. Lucia. Belize seems to be out of the question for my wife after reading several stories about violent crime. Safety is a number prerequisite. Perhaps the stories are blown out of proportion but she's made up her mind.

TIA!
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 16:21   #2

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
I'm certainly no expert, but...

consider chartering in Thailand.

The region around Phuket is on par with the Virgin Islands, it fits your criteria, the scenery is stunning, the food is delicious, the locals are delightful, the sailing is easy... and it's cheap!

Trust me - you will not be disappointed.

To Life!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 16:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm still doing my research so I'm curious what others think about the Grenadines, St. Vincent, St. Martin, Martinique or St. Lucia. Belize seems to be out of the question for my wife after reading several stories about violent crime. Safety is a number prerequisite. Perhaps the stories are blown out of proportion but she's made up her mind.
Might be the best there is! I'm headed down to St Lucia in the morning for a few weeks. Mostly staying on land but I expect to get a day charter or two in as well as some Hobie sailing. Moorings sets you up nice for lots of the Grenadines. Martinique might be the cheapest place to charter from though. Prices fluctuate and time of year so check out the different islands as they can vary.

As far as safety goes check the populations of the various islands. The more people that live there the more you don't want to go there. Works for all the islands.

Of the bunch you mentioned you could do a north to south one way charter trip and catch a few different islands or just say heck with it and spend the whole time in the Grenadines and enjoy not having too many people around. Lots of little islands and short day sail hops. Great waters.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 17:23   #4

You might wanna consider the Abacos in the Bahamas. Easy to get to and the water and reefs are more beautiful than the VI's. Land is flat and featureless but there are lots of deserted islands and beaches and it is all protected waters with line of sight navigation and little or no coral. When you want some fun , there are plenty of places to get a decent meal or down some Goombay punches. Moorings has a base there in Marsh Harbor and there are several smaller outfits as well.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 14:05   #5

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Out of the places you list, I would do the Grenadines. There are lots of other boats, but most are true cruisers, and fewer are charterers. The result is ok, with less loud foolishness and touristy stuff. Try Chatham Bay, Union Island for privacy and good hiking.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 16:02   #6

thanks everyone!

We decided on the Grenadines. We're chartering with Sunsail out of St. Vincent on a 38ft lagoon.
Old 22-03-2007, 16:10   #7

St. Martin or Grenadines

RA:
I've been to Belize & with the exception of only a few well known areas safety is not an issue........but the sailing area does not fit your requirement = eating in a nice place during charter........in southern Belize you are visiting tiny cayes with no services or very little at best.

St. Martin/Anguilla/St. Barts - Those three islands or any combo will fit your requirements........St. Martin is a full range of attractions, beaches + food.........Grand Case on the french side is my favorite. Anguilla has some of the best beaches/snorkling in Caribbean. St. Barts is St Barts but better off season. Plus jet service from many cities in USA/Europe.....

Grenadines - already covered but don't let your wife read about crime on St. Vincent......you can be very careful or skip by chartering with Moorings. But the rest will be very nice.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 16:17   #8

OK.......SVG it is

Just saw your decision. A few hints on St. Vincent itself.
1) Use local knowledge ie; Sunsail base staff to avoid trouble
2) Hire professional tour staff to see the island which is lush
3) Stay away from anchorages there
4) Do not take the crime stories on this island lightly.......

Enjoy your southern travels
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 14:11   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
Redbull...

The BVI's to me seem endless in sailing combinations of islands, have you sailed to Norman and the caves? Marina Cay, they have crocket on top of the island with probably the best view on the BVI'S, Its next to Scrub Island wich very few people know about it, it is owned by twin brothers, just a restaurants and some houses for rent, great lobster eating! Peter Island, Little Harbour, there is a resident barracuda that has been there since I care to remember always swimming around not bothering anybody... ok ok ok I am ready to leave!

Best

Danny
Prflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 18:16   #10

thanks again for all the replies.
We have decided on the Grenadines and we'll definitely be cautious and keep our eyes and ears open. I think we'll head straight out to Bequia from STV and keep heading south.

Any other suggestions about safety that we should remember?
Old 10-04-2007, 18:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prflyer1
The BVI's to me seem endless in sailing combinations of islands, have you sailed to Norman and the caves? Marina Cay, they have crocket on top of the island with probably the best view on the BVI'S, Its next to Scrub Island wich very few people know about it, it is owned by twin brothers, just a restaurants and some houses for rent, great lobster eating! Peter Island, Little Harbour, there is a resident barracuda that has been there since I care to remember always swimming around not bothering anybody... ok ok ok I am ready to leave!

Best

Danny
Thanks for the suggestion Danny. While we may not have done all the islands you mention. We have been to the BVI's several times and want to try someplace new. Hopefully the Grenadines will live up to our expectations.

Regards,
RA
Old 06-06-2014, 18:35   #12

Boat: Catalina 25, Pearson 30, Coastal 45
Re: Advice on where to charter in the Caribbean

Bottom line........be safe.
Capt Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 21:07   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Advice on where to charter in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sam View Post
Bottom line........be safe.
Always good to check the dates of the last post... This thread was 7 years old!
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean