Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2012, 18:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Advice request. Dominican to Great Inagua

I'd appreciate routing advice regarding taking a 55' powerboat from Boca Chita on the south coast of the Dominican Republic to Great inagua at this time of year.

Thanks
Old 14-10-2012, 18:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Advice request. Dominican to Great Inagua

Would you go through the Windward Passage or the Mona Passage? Not sure about security in Haiti these days, you may have more up to date info on that since you are right next door. If you want to steer clear of Haiti go around the east side through the Mona Passage.

It is still a little early for frequent and strong cold fronts, especially as far south as you are but still could happen. I would just check the weather, head out but be prepared to stop over on the north coast it if gets uncomfortable.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 18:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

Taking the Mona route would be shorter but I thought rounding the west end of the Dominican would be an easier ride.
Old 14-10-2012, 18:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Taking the Mona route would be shorter but I thought rounding the west end of the Dominican would be an easier ride.
If the trades are out of the NE then hugging the south coast would certainly be an easier ride. I have been that route before (but going east instead of west) after crossing the Caribbean from Panama with strong winds and big seas the whole way until I got into the lee of Hispaniola. The mountains blocked the wind and it was very calm. The main concern I see is having no where to stop for fuel, repairs or just for a break.

Since your location says Toronto so I'm guessing you're Canadian. That would leave Cuba as an option for a place to stop. I have also heard that Ile a Vache may be a safe stop in Haiti.

If you are leaving from DR what is the local talk about safety in Haiti?
Old 14-10-2012, 19:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If the trades are out of the NE then hugging the south coast would certainly be an easier ride. I have been that route before (but going east instead of west) after crossing the Caribbean from Panama with strong winds and big seas the whole way until I got into the lee of Hispaniola. The mountains blocked the wind and it was very calm. The main concern I see is having no where to stop for fuel, repairs or just for a break.

Since your location says Toronto so I'm guessing you're Canadian. That would leave Cuba as an option for a place to stop. I have also heard that Ile a Vache may be a safe stop in Haiti.

If you are leaving from DR what is the local talk about safety in Haiti?
Since I am heading for Miami, I'd prefer not to have to explain a stop in Cuba and Haiti does not appeal. We'd do it in one run to Inagua.
Old 15-10-2012, 05:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Since I am heading for Miami, I'd prefer not to have to explain a stop in Cuba and Haiti does not appeal. We'd do it in one run to Inagua.
Yes, US policies about Cuba are annoying aren't they?

I did a little research on Haiti and a couple of places Ile a Vache is recommended as a safe place to stop, so just in case.

I guess the choice comes down to take advantage the calm waters along the south coast for easier travel or take the north coast route to have more or better options for layover if you need it.

I just checked passage weather and actually winds on the north coast for the next few days look quite calm due to the effect of TS Rafael north of PR. However may be some big swells present as well from the same storm.
Old 15-10-2012, 08:08   #7
Marine Service Provider

Thanks, I do appreciate the input. Hope to leave a week tomorrow.
Old 15-10-2012, 08:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have a good trip. Don't know what weather access you have in DR or if you already know about this site but if not, before you depart be sure to check out

Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather
Old 15-10-2012, 09:02   #9

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I'd suggest going thru the Mono Passage, making my way to Luperon and then make the jump to Great Inagua.

Going west to the windward passage there are no good stops until Great Inagua.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:15   #10
Marine Service Provider

Skipmac, thanks for the weather link, it's a great help.
John A, we have no problem running straight through to Inagua without a stop.
Old 15-10-2012, 09:21   #11

There was a good blog in the last year about going the Haiti route, south side of the DR, heading east, places to stop etc. Think there is a good free cruising guide on line also... anyone remember it? or how to find it?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:44   #12

I think this is the cruising guide site you referenced.

Free Cruising Guides
kona74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 10:18   #13

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
You have nothing to worry about if you stop in Cuba, being Canadian you have every right to go there. even Americans can go there legally. The laws governing Americans are: you can go to Cuba but you cannot spend US currency there. you can spend all the Canadian currency you want however.
I live on the border with Canada and I have friends who go to cuba often. they drive to Windsor airport and fly air Canada to havana. they exchange
US dollars to Canadien dollars before they go. US government does not like that but they do nothing about it. I guess they don't know what to do about it.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 10:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
You have nothing to worry about if you stop in Cuba, being Canadian you have every right to go there. even Americans can go there legally. The laws governing Americans are: you can go to Cuba but you cannot spend US currency there. you can spend all the Canadian currency you want however.
I live on the border with Canada and I have friends who go to cuba often. they drive to Windsor airport and fly air Canada to havana. they exchange
US dollars to Canadien dollars before they go. US government does not like that but they do nothing about it. I guess they don't know what to do about it.
Sorry to dispute what you say but I don't think this is exactly correct.

First, there are a number of documented incidents of foreign registered boats being harassed by US Customs and Immigration, especially in south Florida.

Second, US restrictions do not specify whether you spend US dollars, Canadian dollars, Euros or any other currency. Yes the ban is based on financial restrictions instead of an outright ban on travel to Cuba but the government is well aware of the supposed loophole about "not spending money" or "not spending US dollars". If you want to read in more detail go to this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...s-v-89490.html and read post #6 that links to numerous previous discussions on the issue which will then link to the US government web sites and regulations.

Bottom line, you can go there and probably get away with it but you will be violating the ban and could be fined or prosecuted.

Here is a quote from the US Department of State web site. Note that it says "transactions" which does not restrict in what currency.

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS, TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The U.S. Department of the Treasury enforces the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, which apply to all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to travel for tourist activities are not licensable. This restriction also prohibits tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.
Old 15-10-2012, 19:09   #15

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A
Going west to the windward passage there are no good stops until Great Inagua.

Ile a Vache is a good stop.

I found Frank Virgintio's guides to be extremely helpful for route planning.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote