Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21   #16

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Affordable Moorings Florida?

We live on a mooring in West Palm Beach. Had it intsalled in an established mooring field years ago for 2500.00 so no rent. You can anchor for free as well. For shoreside access we are members at the Palm Beach Sailing club which has monthly dues of 100.00 or so. For that you get a parking spot, dinghy dock, shower, and the club has all kinds of social events. If the club isnt for you there are several parks with shoreside access withen a mile of the anchorage.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:43   #17

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
As for Titusville, I would be concerned re upkeep of the moorings. The field has been there for about two years and last spring, when I was there, a few of the buoys were missing. This leads me to thinking about how well they`re being maintained.
If I park my boat somewhere I'll definitely ask them about the maintenance. When I was in Annapolis, they were pulling the moorings up and had a diver checking them too. Maybe they're helical or something, can't really remember. I replace my top chain every few years, even after cutting the rusted stuff out more frequently til it gets too short. I don't like to tie up to unknown gear, from maintaining a mooring for some years now I know it takes regular work and $$. more than you think with good chain, Crosby shackles, new floats... I think up north they do a better job of it, with harbormasters that oversee it. Not sure how they're handling them in FL or even Carolina Beach in their new field.

ShaktisBoy, I definitely need a mooring for leaving it unattended. I wonder how practical to set a mooring and leave it unattended for much of the year? I'm sure people would squat on it, and having to kick someone off my mooring is unappealing, not even sure what side the law would fall on.

In my ideal world I'd have a mooring set in Maine, NC, and GA/FL. That's a lot of gear to keep up with, but I can think of some ways to make it disappear while I'm away. I need to make some friends in ME and GA/FL that'll keep an eye on my moored boat while I'm off farming.... which really requires nothing. My boat is self tending on the mooring. Actually know someone in North Haven, ME that worked on my farm, just remembered that... Isolated spots with 5' low water are ideal, because it's too shallow for most boats to want to anchor. I got the scheel keel on my 88 Pacific Seacraft for that reason, so I can tuck back in places with my 4' draft. Anchoring/mooring, particularly in populated coastal areas, isn't getting any more fun-loving or free. ShaktisBoy, good to know that there are still places one can set their own gear and live reasonably - West PAlm is not a place I would have regarded as such. Living on a mooring is definitely not for everyone, but neither is the marina.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 18:22   #18

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post

ShaktisBoy, I definitely need a mooring for leaving it unattended. I wonder how practical to set a mooring and leave it unattended for much of the year? I'm sure people would squat on it, and having to kick someone off my mooring is unappealing, not even sure what side the law would fall on.
This is pretty common in the field. The guy who we have maintain the mooring will come remove the floating pennants and mark the ball private. When you are ready to come back, he will go put them back on. Plus your neighbors are pretty good about letting people know if they are on a private mooring.
I can say the current is pretty strong in there except at slack tide and when the wind is blowing it can get pretty rolly and wet getting to shore so I just hole up in my cave But the water is always warm so its not too bad. Often the blue water wiill make it to us at high tide a mile and a half from the inlet which is nice for boat-scraping time. And we have not had any problems with bugs since the good people of West Palm don't allow them it seems. It is next to Riviera Beach which is a poorer area but home to Boat Owners Warehouse where you can lighten your wallet.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 07:10   #19

Hi there! Looking to moor as well in west palm any recommendations on who could install and maintain a mooring for us? Thx for the input!
Cool breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 03:36   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cool breeze.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 17:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
We live on a mooring in West Palm Beach. Had it intsalled in an established mooring field years ago for 2500.00 so no rent. You can anchor for free as well. For shoreside access we are members at the Palm Beach Sailing club which has monthly dues of 100.00 or so. For that you get a parking spot, dinghy dock, shower, and the club has all kinds of social events. If the club isnt for you there are several parks with shoreside access withen a mile of the anchorage.

Any chance you could recommend anyone to install a mooring? Thanks!
Fresh Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, mooring