Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2018, 06:41   #1

AIS Transponder On or Off ? Running Lights ?

I am looking for opinions from anyone wanting to present one regarding night passage. We are about to depart for a voyage in the Western Caribbean. Since some of the areas we will traverse have had piracy incidents in the past it is my contention that when in those area it is wise to turn off the running lights at night. This involves more vigilance from the crew during their watch and in areas of heavy traffic this would not be wise. Also, I contend the same with the AIS transponder both day and night. Any comments ?
vcgris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 07:02   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: AIS Transponder On or Off ? Running Lights ?

We always run 'silent' in areas with piracy in the Caribbean

There is very little traffic in those areas.

Vigilance should be high at all times...you should detect other ships before they detect you. When we call big ships they usually have to check their AIS to locate us.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 07:05   #3

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcgris View Post
I am looking for opinions from anyone wanting to present one regarding night passage. We are about to depart for a voyage in the Western Caribbean. Since some of the areas we will traverse have had piracy incidents in the past it is my contention that when in those area it is wise to turn off the running lights at night. This involves more vigilance from the crew during their watch and in areas of heavy traffic this would not be wise. Also, I contend the same with the AIS transponder both day and night. Any comments ?
On! I like being seen by much bigger boats then ours! But your question begs the response. if your worried that much why go there? We were almost run down by a boat that had no lights on and didn't have or was turned off AIS. The only thing that saved us was my wife who saw the bow wave!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 07:10   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

There's an old saying. The difference between a fisherman and a pirate is opportunity.

In the pirate prone areas of the Western Caribbean, there will not be heavy traffic.

While few potential pirates have AIS receivers, the numbeer of AIS receivers is growing every year. If you feel uncomfortable turning on the running lights, its time to turn off the AIS transmitter.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 07:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: AIS Transponder On or Off ? Running Lights ?

And ColRegs be damned.. until the insurance claim gets knocked back..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 07:20   #6

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Where are you seeing Piracy incidents in the Western Caribbean? Most everything I can find is petty theft and no recent armed boardings.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 08:07   #7

Boat: Boatless

THere were two attacks off Honduras a year ago.Honduras: Offshore Piracy, 20 miles off Gordo Bank - January 2017 —

The last time we sailed Aruba to San Blas we picked a weather window of moderate weather...winds 25-30 knots and 6-8 ft seas...keeps the pangas at home!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 08:13   #8

Let's not get too paranoid about sailing in the Western Caribbean. Taking simple precautions in certain areas can reduce any risk to very low and acceptable levels. Most major cities in the USA are more dangerous to travel in. Running without AIS is perfectly fine, we sailed all over the place for many years with it turned off...because it never existed! As long as you keep a good watch...which you should be doing..The risk is very low. As for running lights, if you stay far enough offshore in one area of Honduras I'd have no problem keeping my deck lights on. We sailed that whole area and we continue to sail in the Western Caribbean and hardly give it a second thought. Stay away from the mainland Honduras coast and you will have looked after about 90% of any real legitimate personal safety concerns.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 08:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
THere were two attacks off Honduras a year ago.Honduras: Offshore Piracy, 20 miles off Gordo Bank - January 2017 —

The last time we sailed Aruba to San Blas we picked a weather window of moderate weather...winds 25-30 knots and 6-8 ft seas...keeps the pangas at home!
Pretty easy to find wind and seas between the ABC's and San Blas not much happening on that coast though, most of the action is off Honduras.

How's things in the Marshall? We love that place, spent a full year there.
Old 21-01-2018, 08:43   #10

One other comment about the Western Caribbean..in many ways it's safer than the Eastern Caribbean, cruisers are not regularly getting killed, women are not being raped and yes there have been boardings and robberies and while I'll do my best to avoid the spots it's happening in I'll take a robbery instead of being killed or my wife being raped. Frankly if your so risk adverse you wouldn't travel here I'm not sure why your even out sailing. My first boat robbery happened in French Polynesia, sure didn't stop me from continuing on. Many of us come from such a sterilized existance that it creates huge anxiety just being out here, do your best to get over it, life is good.
Old 21-01-2018, 10:08   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Sounds like I should avoid the Western Caribbean. Some boats sail at night with their nav lights off! That's dangerous!
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 10:49   #12

Boat: Amel 50

I don’t know about your AIS, but on some (Vesper, I believe) you can turn off the transmit but leave the receive function on.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 10:58   #13

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I don’t know about your AIS, but on some (Vesper, I believe) you can turn off the transmit but leave the receive function on.

I can turn off the transmit function on my Comar unit.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 11:19   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are really only two areas in the W Carib that have had events that could be categorized as piracy of vessels underway.

1, Mainland Honduran Coast, mostly off Punta Sal

2, NE Nicaraguan Banks.

Bad events may happen in other areas, but these are the only two areas which have had multiple boardings of vessels under way (subject of thread). Both can be avoided, but avoiding the NE Nica Banks is a bit more inconvenient.

See CSSN for a fancy new clickable map that shows these events and others.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6vGSpkKEh49BMB
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 11:44   #15

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I can turn off the transmit function on my Comar unit.
My Raymarine AIS650 does it too.

Tags
ais