Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2023, 10:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Alternative islands to Virgin Islands to charter/explore

Hello all,

We went to the Virgin Islands last year and had an absolutely lovely time, however we found it to be a bit too crowded together. Most of the places on St. John it was easier to motor than raise a sail.

Is there an alternative experience out there you'd recommend? It would have to be easy enough for a second time charter captain.

We are looking in the mid April time frame. While we want something that is more sail oriented, we also need to be mindful of weather windows that can get us stuck for a week. (that's one thing that's nice about the USVI)
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:36   #2

Re: Alternative islands to Virgin Islands to charter/explore

Did you consider the BVIs?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:42   #3

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

In mid April, the BVI are the absolute way to go! Great wind, you're on a reach or downwind for most of it. Islands are great and line of sight navigation except for Anegada.

Good luck!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 12:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post

............ we found it to be a bit too crowded..........

It [destination] would have to be easy enough for a second time charter captain.
These goals will oppose each other. The most beautiful and/or easiest locations also tend to see the most traffic. The further off the beaten path you go the less crowded. But then you open yourself more to weather windows and time constraints.

The population continues to grow while the land is technically shrinking.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 13:06   #5

Boat: Beneteau 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
In mid April, the BVI are the absolute way to go!
Good luck!
Thank you. We did the USVI, but couldn't cross over to BVI because of COVID. My sense was that the BVI was a very similar experience.

I used the wrong word when I said "crowded" I guess I mean "everything was right on top of each other".

We wouldn't mind something that was more spread out as it were.

What is the feedback about St. Vincent and the Grenadines or Spanish Virgins?
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 18:20   #6

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

if you're looking for a little more spread out, but still relatively easy cruising, we also chartered a boat in St Lucia a while back. That was a great trip, too. St lucia Itself has a ton of stuff to do including the mountains. You can bike the pitons which was awesome. Also, Martinique is a short sail away so you can get your French fix. We very much enjoyed Rodney Bay at St lucia, as well. It was a very fun week!

The snorkeling was always great right off the boat and the sailing was excellent!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:57   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Another good sailing destination is Antigua. While St. Lucia is nice (I keep my boat there off-season), the number of overnight anchorages are limited. Antigua offers quite a few anchorages off spectacular locations and they have become much more cruiser-friendly over the years. I'm in Falmouth Harbour right now and I've never seen so many superyachts all in one place here in the Caribbean.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:39   #8

If you like to be away from the crowds, Exumas are on a league of their own, simply spectacular. There are a lot of boats there in high season, but there are so many islands that most of the time you'll be the only boat on the anchorage of your choice (except for a couple of cays, where the few restaurants and provisioning are, so everybody needs to stop there at some point).
Certainly more challenging than USVIs and BVIs, require careful navigation. It would depend on your skills whether they are appropriate for a second-time charter.
Otherwise, Grenadines, I would say a little easier and still less crowded than the VIs.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:12   #9

Boat: ?

i love antigua as a cruising "home"... if time were unlimited that would be my choice.

for bareboat i'd do exumas or baja mexico (or BVI) next..
..bvi might be the best cruising ground in the world for a quick 7 day charter

for exumas..while 2 weeks would feel rushed there... it is as pretty as anywhere on earth(and if you kitesurf..it might be heaven on earth)

for baja cruising... two words: fish tacos.

nothing more needs to be said
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 15:40   #10

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
Thank you. We did the USVI, but couldn't cross over to BVI because of COVID. My sense was that the BVI was a very similar experience.

I used the wrong word when I said "crowded" I guess I mean "everything was right on top of each other".

We wouldn't mind something that was more spread out as it were.

What is the feedback about St. Vincent and the Grenadines or Spanish Virgins?
Been a long time since we chartered the BVI, so can’t comment on crowding. But sailing in the Sir Frances Drake Channel is spectacular. It is great sailing in trade winds with a relatively calm sea state. Issue with the Grenadines et al is you are sailing out in the open ocean and sea state is dependent on weather.

Another option that hasn’t been mentioned is the Abacos (northern Bahamas) out of Marsh Harbor or preferably out of Hopetown. Good sailing in the protected Sea of Abaco. It is busy in April, but doubt anywhere near as crowded as St John.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 22:25   #11

Boat: Charter Cats and any trip i can pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
If you like to be away from the crowds, Exumas are on a league of their own, simply spectacular. There are a lot of boats there in high season, but there are so many islands that most of the time you'll be the only boat on the anchorage of your choice (except for a couple of cays, where the few restaurants and provisioning are, so everybody needs to stop there at some point).
Certainly more challenging than USVIs and BVIs, require careful navigation. It would depend on your skills whether they are appropriate for a second-time charter.
Otherwise, Grenadines, I would say a little easier and still less crowded than the VIs.

We Bareboated the USVI's and it was beautiful ( during covid and it was not very crowded) definitely beautiful.

The Grenadines are amazing. A nice departure from sunburnt rock and scrub and cactus found in the northern carib.

We spent 14 days bareboat last year and it was beautiful. Think South Pacific of the Caribbean. Tall green volcanic mountains, beautiful water, and great beaches. A few days in Grenada were super with waterfalls and amazing scenery. The people of Grenada take great pride in their island . St. Vincent, not as much. We're going back in July for 10 days, to do a repeat.
Dreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Virgin Islands