Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 13:14   #16

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Anchorages near Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by opolily View Post
I haven't reached it yet but I'm told that there is anchoring space just inside a small island in Magnolia harbor. Depending on weather, the anchorage/mooring area between Big and Little Misery can be very pleasant. Moving up past Cape Ann you can anchor off the end of Plum Island where Ipswich River exits.
Just outside Mass Bay end of Cape Cod Canal is room to anchor not far off a beach and on the other end of the canal Redbrook (Pocasset) harbor is one of my very favorites.
Hoping to make it out to Provincetown myself this year.
You can anchor there, but the holding ground is variable, in particular be careful near the northeast corner of the island.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 13:22   #17

Boat: 1978 O'day 30

I have anchored at Misery Island many times and I agree it is nice as long as the wind is from the North. I avoid the cove on the North side since it is very crowded with motor boaters, but the South side between islands is real nice.

I will look into these other ones suggested.

Thanks everyone.
cnsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:18   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtloves View Post
I am moving my boat to Hull, Allerton Harbor specifically, for the first time this year ... Otherwise anchorages at the Harbor Islands are my go to, ...
You won't be sorry, either way. Hull YC is friendly and accommodating, and the nearby islands and passages are interesting enough for a visit. We spent two weeks at Hull in 2010, with no regrets and really fine memories. From Hull it's a 15 minute ferry ride to Boston is the need arises.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:58   #19

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

A few from my experience:

World's End is nice, though I haven't been in about 10 years. It is in Hingham waters I think.

Quincy Bay near the Squantum Yacht club. They are a very friendly lot. Cheapest bar you will ever see. Good holding in mud. Long fetch to the East, but shallow so the chop is limited.

For downtown Boston, Boston Waterboat Marine rents moorings. About $55/night. Southeast kicks up a chop, the ferries are running, planes landing, subway audible in the tunnel under the harbor. Fun if you are up for a city.
Kettle Cove off Manchester with a light breeze. Entry is tricky, weekends are jammed with motorboat rafts, but evenings mid week are quieter.

Misery as mentioned.

Sandy Bay can get rough from the North or East as can Rockport Inner harbor (if you get a mooring or tie up).

Scituate you know.

Provincetown is a hoot.

Cottage Park Yacht Club in Winthrop. Again, friendly crowd. Right next to Logan Airport.

Hull Yacht Club.

Hingham Yacht Club

The club's dockmaster's will have advice about anchoring out in their areas.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 06:37   #20

Boat: Sabre 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
You won't be sorry, either way. Hull YC is friendly and accommodating, and the nearby islands and passages are interesting enough for a visit. We spent two weeks at Hull in 2010, with no regrets and really fine memories. From Hull it's a 15 minute ferry ride to Boston is the need arises.
Actually I joined Hull YC, but I haven't spent time there yet, so I'm glad to hear you had a good time with them.

Funny, I take that ferry (well, the Hingham one) to work every day. It ain't bad.
dirtloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:30   #21

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

New England District > Missions > Regulatory > Public Notices
Capecoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:56   #22

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtloves View Post
I am moving my boat to Hull, Allerton Harbor specifically, for the first time this year. Once things are in the water I can comment a bit more on that area. Prior to that I've been in Hingham/Weymouth and you can often get a spot in the Weymouth Back River/Hewitt's Cove area and go in for a bite at any of the restaurants in the Shipyard. It's a nice spot.

Otherwise anchorages at the Harbor Islands are my go to, but I'm a relatively novice sailor.
Enjoy Hull! We were at the Hull YC and moored in Allerton Harbor for several years. It is a very low key place that we enjoyed.

Inside the Hull hook, we have anchored on the East side of World's End. It's pretty quiet and a reasonable dinghy ride to Jake's Seafood. We anchored behind Grape Island as well. It was a quiet spot. There is decent holding off Peddocks Island. Pick a side depending on the wind.

In the outer harbor, we have anchored between Georges and Gallops Is for the day and we've seen boats stay overnight. There are also anchorages among the Brewsters, but the best spots depend on wind and tide conditions. Traffic through most of these areas is a challenge for overnight anchoring.

Spectacle Island is a beautiful stop, but I don't know if you can anchor. We stayed on the docks for the night. The walk up to the northeast corner of the island gave a beautiful view of the harbor and the city.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 08:36   #23

Perhaps consider pursuing your own private mooring. Will need to obtain a permit from Boston Harbor Master.

https://www.boston.gov/departments/p...mooring-permit
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages