Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2013, 17:55   #31

Boat: Taswell 49
You guys have heard of the ferry to sopers and road town yes? STT is a filthy pit in my opinion.
Old 28-01-2013, 18:48   #32

Re: Carib Beach or Emerald Beach Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Sunsets View Post
So I'm liking the idea of anchoring in Lindburgh Bay and picking them up at one of the Best Westerns (BW) in the dinghy.

And if I'm looking at Google Maps properly, I can choose between either BW Carib (west side of bay, across the airport parking lot) or BW Emerald (East side of bay.. a short taxi ride).

So the next questions would be:

1) Do both have dinghy access?
2) Which would be the better place to enjoy a late dinner (so I don't feel guilty about using their facilities as taxi-stand)?

Of course, this is all contingent on weather-- a crummy, stormy night would make this quite the adventure!
We've often stayed at the Best Western on Lindberg Bay before charters. The latest was earlier this month. Saw several boats anchored out and a few people come in by dingy about midpoint of the beach during the day. You might be able to land at the Best Western Emerald Beach in the evening (daytime might be another story) especially if you tell them you'll be having dinner there with your friends. Taxis are usually waiting outside the lobby for the three minute trip to and from the airport.

P.S. My gal and I like the food and setting at the BW Emerald Beach. She enjoys the salads and I had a great soup du jour (Fish Chowder). Seafood pasta was filling too!
Old 20-04-2016, 04:16   #33

Re: Anchorages Near St. Thomas Airport

Linbergh is a great place. The Dinghy dock is at Best Western Carib I believe across the bay from Best Western Emerald Beach.
herbhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 05:00   #34

Re: Anchorages Near St. Thomas Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Crown Bay marina wanted $20 to drop off a passenger, even after I spent $100 at their fuel dock. I told them where to put there $20, and went around the corner to the main harbor at Charlotte Amalie, pulled alongside the quay by the road, and my crew was in a taxi in less than a minute. If you are picking up, you can anchor with the other boats on the east side of the harbor, then dinghy over to pick up crew--cell phones would help get you connected. Ask one of the other boats for the best spot to meet.
Then they were playing you. There is and has been a dinghy dock that many locals use daily at CBM without charge. However, Any of the other bays that have been mentioned will work well.

My favorite would be anchoring up anchoring in Water Island and enjoying a last day / night with your company before loading the bags and gear into the dinghy and running across to emerald bay to drop them off. True statement that they can literally walk to the airport.

FYI, I saw a post about "publicos" and taxis. Most locals refer to the taxi drivers as "The Amassadors" of the VI. Expensive too..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, anchor, anchorages