Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 11:13   #16
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Anchoring in Bimini

Thanks for the advice everyone - extremely helpful! We may now avoid Bimini entirely. Anyone have thoughts about clearing in at West End (which would allow us to cross over from further north, Lake Worth)?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:23   #17

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Or what's the deal with Cat Cay. For both clearing in, and place to stay a while?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Or what's the deal with Cat Cay. For both clearing in, and place to stay a while?
I like clearing in at Cat Cay. It's worth the $100 in my opinion. I never took them up on their $4 a night slip, though (except for one time a long time ago when we came in at night and were just beat and wanted to tie up somewhere). I have anchored just outside the channel going in. There are often a lot of Miami day trippers anchored there.

We got hit by a 40 knot squall there one day and the Rocna didn't budge so it must have set decently well.
Old 01-01-2017, 13:44   #19

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We tried to stay at Cat Cay Club on the way back. It was a weekend though, and they said there were no slips available. Just anchored on the bank and headed out the channel early in the morning.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 13:53   #20

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I typically check in in Bimini and stay at the Bimini Blue Water. It was $1.00/ft plus tax and is out of the current that flows down the main channel. Browns is closer to the inlet and more exposed to the current. Checking is requires a 1 block walk for the captain but is not a big deal. If I arrive after dark I anchor in Nixon's harbor and wait for daylight. I also get my Bahamas Telephone SIM cards for my phone and hotspot and then I'm ready to go. Crossing the banks in a strong east or SE wind is no fun, but since I tend to cross the stream on s S or SW wind the North winds of a cold front are usually not far behind. Since the banks are so shallow it's hard for a large wave to form and even when it's blowing 20-25 out of the north the waves are no more than 2-3 feet on a beam reach and it makes for a fast trip to chub. When the wind goes east or SE we'll go down to Morgan's bluff and wait for a weather window to cross to the Exumas.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 14:57   #21
CF Adviser

Thanks Bill for all the sage advice. Hope to see some of you out there!

Brad
Old 01-01-2017, 16:04   #22

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We have stopped at Weeches Dock in Bimini each of the last nine years. The first year was to stop before exiting the Bahamas for West Palm Beach. The next eight were for entering the Bahamas after crossing over from Key Biscayne. If they don't answer the radio, we just tie up. The charge is reasonable especially if you don't use electricity. Kimini (?) will give you the papers to fill out and to take to customs and immigrations. Both are an easy walk away. The slips are nearly parallel to the current flow and easy to enter if, and only if, the current is against you. You just need to choose the proper side of the dock.

The liquor store across the street discounts on bulk purchases. The Batelco office will set you up with a SIM card for your cell phone, and if they are closed so will a little store in town.

We have never anchored off Alice Town, but we have watched others drag on the rocky current swept bottom.

It is a good place.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 20:01   #23

Boat: Manta 42

Yes, you can clear at West End and is easy from either Ft Lauderdale or Lake Worth. It's pretty far north and I would only do West End if intended destination is the Abacoes and only stop if I had settled weather. If going this route and it looks like weather will be iffy after crossing, continue on to either Mangrove Key or Great Sale and you can clear in when you get to Green turtle. Same as my previous post, try to get your easting done while you have the weather.
kellymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:29   #24
CF Adviser

Thanks Kelly, again seems like sound advice.

Brad
Old 07-01-2017, 07:52   #25

Boat: Seawind - 1160

We cleared in at Lucaya several times and always was a pleasant experience. Crossing from lake Worth is a good place to leave from. Actually, Lucaya to Spanish Wells and then down to the Exuas is a nice way to avoid the hassles in Nassau.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:02   #26
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

If you decide to skip Bimini, consider crossing to Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands for check in. We do an overnight and anchor at Bullocks Harbour and catch some sleep. Good holding and protection if a cold front blows in. Call the marina and arrange for check-in there. The customs/immigration guy comes to your boat at the marina. $2.00/ft. so it's reasonably priced. Just an alternative you may not have considered.

There are some nice anchorages on the east coast of the Berry Islands once you check in. It beats being tied to a dock in Bimini waiting for weather.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:51   #27
CF Adviser

Thanks Doublewide and Ralph - both options worth considering. Right now we are holed-up for several days in Lake Worth for a big front from the north, but it gives us time to consdier all options.

Cheers!

Brad

Tags
anchor, anchoring, bimini